3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 questions for old longbow shooters  (Read 331 times)

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
2 questions for old longbow shooters
« on: June 12, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
1: I shoot a 68" 72# hillstyle longbow hillstyle grip, love the bow, shoots good, but I do notice some string contact with the bow arm about 3 inches from my wrist. wear spot on my armgaurd, the bow is braced from 6 3/8 to 6 1/2. I can shoot without armgaurd but wouldn,t want to do it a long time. Is this normal?                                             2:The brace height will change from when I first brace it, after shooting I have to rebrace it. I run good fastflight strings. Is this common with a bow of this poundage?

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 questions for old longbow shooters
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
String stretch is the only reason I can think of that your brace height would change. Anybody can make a bad string once in awhile, try another and see if it doesn't help.

Unfortunately, string slap is a fact of life with Hill style bows, although some have modified the way they grip the bow to minimize it.

Howard Hill maintained that if the string wasn't slapping your arm, the bow was braced too high.

Good luck!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
I believe Howard Hill said that if your bowstring didn't hit your wrist when you shot it, your bow wasn't made right!   :D  

You might want to take a look at how you grip the bow... may be getting behind it a little too much.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
Can you rotate your bow hand more clockwise? Are you on the thumbside of your lifeline?
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
"2 questions for old longbow shooters"
You talking about the bow being old or the shooter?  :bigsmyl:

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
Thank you guys for the answers, the strings have got me baffled, tried different strings from good makers, I can live with it but I do check the brace alot, and TexMex, BOTH

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
Actually I believe HH said if the string doesn't "bite" your wrist, it is braced too high.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
Despite Howard's admonition, raising the brace height to 6 3/4 will likely stop the string slap, and the bow will still shoot well, and quieter.  The fraction you lose in performance won't be noticed.  A fast flite string shouldn't stretch once you have it shot in.  Fast flite materials, because they stretch less, don't move as far forward when the arrow is released, and that usually reduces or eliminates string slap.  Might you be shooting a dacron string?  That's generally what HH puts on their new bows unless you ask for fast flite.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
Dan....
    After you attain the right Brace height.
Then it's all in the Grip, or how you grip the bow....
    I rarely hit my Armguard with the string....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
Once your string is shot in, it shouldn't really stretch much no matter what kind of string you use. I use B-50 exclusively and after a couple days of practice shooting and adjusting the brace height, I rarely have any stretch. I usually shoot a 10 strand string (B-50) on anything 50# and under; 12 strands on my 55# longbow. I do get some slap with the longbow, but that's what armguards are for!

If your string is still stretching, something is wrong with it. Time for a new string!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©