3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Practice question  (Read 427 times)

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
Practice question
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
Between working a lot of hours (I'm very thankful for that) and  my neck of the woods in Michigan getting more snow than usual (spend more time snow blowing than practicing)  plus it being dark by the time I get home from work, my time for actuallly flinging arrrows is no where near what I would like it to be. I don't want to be a newbie each spring and start over each year, 1 year was enough of that lol.

How much practice do others get and recommend for keeping somewhat in shape thru the hibernating season ?  
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practice question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
I try to shoot every day, but this winter has been hard here in Maine also.  I got my deer target out yesterday for the first time since Dec.  I have only been able to shoot once a week by going to an indoor range and paying until yesterday (have to put it back in tonight due to another storm).  If you had developed good form last year it should not take you long to get back in the groove.  Just start slow, focus on your form.  You have ingrained a set of muscle memories, and it is amazing how well the brain can remember.  Of course it will remember all the form poor issues you might have had as well.  Shoot a few arrows at a time to rebuild strenght and stop when you feel you are getting sloppy with your form or concentration.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
I shoot in the house down a hall into a bedroom for a 18 yard shot,just don't miss.  :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
There's very few days here in the southwest that we cannot fling arrows. Don't get me wrong I'm not inviting all of you to migrate. That would make our chances in the big game draws rough.
    Larry

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
I'm at that age (48) where the work career is in full swing, and here in depressed Michigan I am very thankful I have a good job. With that being said, I don't get home till almost 6:00 pm and it gets dark at 5:00, starting to get better already, staying light till 6:15 or so. We have a lot of snow this year, and it has been windy so it seems like I have to shovel & snowblow 3 times a week. By the time I grab a bite to eat, do a few odds and ends, it's time to go to bed to get up @ 5:00 am to be to work by 6:00. I'm not complaining, but finding practice time is tough and I was wondering how bad it is going to affect my archery passion.

I envy the retired members here who have the time to enjoy this hobby, but I also know it's a catch 22, then age starts causing it's problems also. I just wish I could balance things out better and find a little more time to practice in the winter and was wondering how the others managed it and was wondering how much time do I need to really allow.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Daily.  I have 15 yards simple and 20 yards complicated (more expensive obstacles) in my basement.  Usually only 6 to 12 shots a day.  Weekends I go out stumping or more indoor if it's crummy out.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Get a bail in the basement, distance isn't so important. Keeping the muscel memory and tone is important. At my age it would realy be bad if I stopped.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
A lot of people say that practice makes perfect and with that mentality the more arrows shot the better you'll become.  In reality...perfect practice makes perfect and with that mentality there is no need for quantity....only quality.  Shooting with the emphasis on shooting only perfect arrows (quality)trumps everything.  Set up a blind bale in your garage or living room or whatever.  Use the bale to build or maintain your shot....it will only take a few arrows a night.  Believe me...you won't regret it.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
I shoot almost every day and do it outside in the driveway. Many days the weather dictates just a few minutes but even if I can only shoot for 5 minutes it feels really good to get out and do it. I have to shoot in the dark as well but with the target in the drive my house light give me just enough light to make it feel like that last few minutes of shooting light.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Brett is right on target...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Dan,
I am one of those retired guys on here that get to practice as much as I want to.  It is nice, but quantity isn't everything.
If you get the chance to shoot only on the weekend, take it.  5 good shots where you concentrate are better than 50 arrows that you fling downrange.
Ken Thornhill

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I am in Texas and the weather is not an issue.I shoot every day sometimes 15 up to 100 or so arrows.I worked in Pa. a couple years, back in the 80's.I know now why you guys up north make the most of your summers.
With your work hours you are going to have trouble finding time to shoot,maybe a few shots a night more on your days off.Hang in there.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Get a form master. That way you can dry fire a few shots in the house whenever the mood strikes. A few shots a day focusing on your form will probably do more for you than you realize.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
I try to shoot every or everyother day even if it's in the basement at 6 yds. Sometimes only 10 to 12 arrows and sometimes 50 to 100. Depends on the time I have and the mindset Im in.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Just keeping your archery muscles toned during the off season will go a long way to helping you keep your shooting up to par. If you can't go out to shoot, string your bow and do some pulling exercises.
  When I shot one of those "other" shooting machines" I wanted to be able to draw without having to go through all the contortions so I would draw my "bow" 10 times and on the last pull I would hold it as long as I could and then let it down easy. After a few minutes I'd do it again. Before too long I could pull the bow back with very little other movement.
  I still do this today with my hunting bows when I can't go out and shoot. Keeping your archery muscles in shape will help you get going in the spring when you can get back out and shoot. It is just like riding a bike...you never forget but you do have to do the exercises to stay in shape.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
A good back stop about head high and 4 or 5 yards. I close my eye’s and work on form when ever its nasty out side. With good form the rest comes easy.  :archer2:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
I shoot at 5 yards in the garage when the weather is bad..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
Home Depot has a tripod stand with 2- flood lights, And an extension cord and you could shoot all night. I have one strapped to a tree in my yard 12 feet up. It's like shooting in a stadium.So you never have to say I cant due to low light conditions.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
The older I get the less I shoot across the yard unless it's a bow I building or at a deer target. I'm out hiking doing this and that 3 or 5 times a week. I always carry a bow take and shoot a well constrated arrow now and then. I don't do as PAT says but that be really good if trapped in side for a long time and you fell you have to do something this would be great.
  Standing pounding the bail with 100's of arrows I did this for years had to shoot everyday.Heck I once had a tarp walk way built because it rained 2 days in a row and have stood out and shot with rain gear on more than once. Causes to many bad habbits. Good mussle memory but you don't constrate on each shot like you should. After a while your just shooting groups of arrows For this reason I quit shooting groups long ago. 1 constrated arrow at a time. Lots of walking put this will give you time to thing about each arrow. You'll soon find out how draining it can be. And you'll say boy I sure didn't feel like this when I was shoots lots of arrows.
  So days you can't don't sweat it but don't waste the days you can. But after you get your form down do real hunting practice.(IF YOU HUNT) And if you do practice across the yard don't shoot at a dot. Get A DEER TARGET so you burn the kill area in your brain. REAL DEER DON'T HAVE DOTS at least not in WV.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©