3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling Cougars?  (Read 377 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Calling Cougars?
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I read an artical in a magazine that I don't normaly read that was on calling cougars. It calms that the author has called in more than 100 kitty's in. Now this was all with a firearms but has anyone done this with trad gear?
He uses digital lion sounds with an remote call.
If you know of this or have seen it done I'm real interestred.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling Cougars?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
I have done some coyote calling and am going to try calling cats soon. I have a friend who does this and he says you must stay on stand at least one hour for the big cats. Unlike coyotes where you run and gun for them. I think a lot of guys just don't have the patience for this. He uses a FoxPro and some mouth calls.
I know of another man here in the area that has called in a cat and killed it with his bow. He came back the next day to retrieve his trail camera. When he checked the pictures that were on it he found TWO more cats in the exact spot where he shot his cat. Lots of them in the woods out here since the ban on hunting them with dogs!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
The author said he also sits on stand for an hour or better. Are you and your friend using cougar sounds or destress calls? There are plenty of houndsmans out here but I haven't heard of anyone calling around here.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
I called one once but it only showed itself on a hillside several hundred yds away.We can't use electronic calls since they are classed as a big game animal.You might want to check your game laws on that.I think a lot of states would have the same law.I read about a guy that outfitted hunts using an electronic calls and mostly lion sounds,I believe in AZ or NM.

I had also heard that when they opened a season on them in the Black Hills,guys were killing them by calling.I think some is being done in Washington also.

I think he said,and I believe,a decoy to hold the cat's attention,would be a big asset.It would be tough with a trad bow as cats can really pick the slightest motion.

I had been meaning to get into more calling of them but our mulies died off and the cats are way scattered out now.

Offline John Stockman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
I unintentionally called in a big tom while
hunting elk.  He pinpointed my location and came within 10 feet from me.  He was unafraid.  I can't say the same for myself.

John Stockman

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
My guide called one up while using a cow call. That was in New Mexico. Since the guide was a bit behind me the cougar passed me and went straight for the cow call. It got rather intense since I couldn't tell if he saw the cat coming. He finally stood up in front of the cat and tried to scare it away. The cat was not the least bit interested in leaving and only did so after several large limbs were thrown at it.
Colburn

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
Here in Cali you cant hunt them but you dont need a call because here they hunt humans  :help:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
OK somewhere there is a bar joke with a bowhunter, some cocktails and an older lady lookin' for love  :biglaugh:  

Having said that I am in awe of these cats after seeing one elk hunting last year. I don't want to know how to call them in after that. Seeing them at like 100 yards is good with me.
Mike Davenport

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
I went with a friend to a winter range just before Christmas and we made some setups using his FoxPro. He started with fawn in distress sounds and switched to lion whistles ( sounded like high pitched bird chirps to me) and we'd stay an hour or more in each setup.

The fawn in distress sounds brought the deer in, the old mature doe's would wade right into where the speaker was located and she was ready to put a knot on something's head!

We may have had a small cat come in behind us as there was a set of lion tracks in the snow behind and downwind of where we were set up. We didn't see that particular set of tracks when we walked in.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
Something else I remembered from what the guy said that killed one up the McKenzie is that they will usually come in from uphill if at all possible.
I called one in, not knowingly, while cow and calf calling behind a herd of elk. They come in silent!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
I know a coulple of guys that called them in while hunting coyotes. Can't shoot them here. They troll for them down south, put on bright colored running tights and go jogging in the hills. We are getting more lions than deer out here.  If you do try it take a buddy and a side arm.They will be coming in to eat or kill. Sounds fun .
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
I understand wtpops I had one stalk me once luckly it backed down at 15 yrds. I know 7 other people personly that have had to shoot them, 3 were killed with bows in self defence.
I think this would be one tough hunt personally. I don't know if I would do it myself but I had never heard of method.

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Theres several cougars in our area..just pick up the telephone and dial their number   :D
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
I have some pictures around here somewhere. Southern Idaho. Lessee....
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
i have been stalked while mewing.had one real close and would have killed it if i had gotten a shot.he was coming in to get his lunch.lucky for him he turned and walked away.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
This is pure thrill!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Borrowed the pic from a close hunting friend in southern Idaho, I believe the pic was taken in the Cottrell range while calling coyotes with a jackrabbit distress call. Awfully close for comfort.

Oops....wrong pic. Let me call ol' Matt again.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©