3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? for you backpack hunters about sleeppads  (Read 434 times)

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
? for you backpack hunters about sleeppads
« on: February 24, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Just ordered one for myself for a hunt and another trip..I wanted warmth as the other trip it will be extremely cold.
I was curious as to how much of a difference an RF value of 2.5 vs 5 would realistically be?
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for you backpack hunters about sleeppads
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
You might take a look at the Big Agnes insulated air mattress. It is light weight, is very comfortable, and packs down to a small size. The down side is that it is an air mattress...it can leak if punctured. If you use a ground cloth, bivy sack, in a tent you are fine. I have one that I have used for 3 yrs now and am sold on it.
I also have had for many years the ThermaRest that work good too.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
Stick with the plain old thermarest foam pad, air mattresses are great until they get a hole, then you have 2 thin layers of plastic between you and the cold ground! This can totally affect your sleep, and when hunting the backcountry, sleep is a top commodity!

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
If you don't mind the little extra weight (+7oz), and the cost, an Exped Downmat is hard to beat. The tiny repair kit that comes with it is idiot proof, and the comfort is great, especially in cold weather.

It is a piece of gear that if you spend a lot of time outdoors is worth it, but for five nights/once a year a little tough to swallow for most.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
I used the Thermarests for years.Before that a 1/2" Ensolite pad.I use the Big Agnes now and really like it.It is about 2 1/2" thick,very comfortable and well insulated.Come up with a list of ones to consider,check features and "R" values then search for reviews.REI should have some as well as an article on how to select one for your needs.

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
When backpack hunting I use a ThermaRest over a common US GI foam sleeping pad.

I have yet to be cold even in the snow and rain at elevations of 9,000 ft+.

I also use a USMC cold weather sleeping bag made by Wiggy's and a Gore Tex bivy sack.

Hope this helps.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by DXH:
I was curious as to how much of a difference an RF value of 2.5 vs 5 would realistically be?
It will be significant. For cold nights, bring a cheap closed cell foam pad and use it on top of your uninsulated Thermarest. An uninsulated Thermarest sucks the heat out of you in the winter, but the foam pad makes a big difference.
The foam pad is bulky, but light, and if you are really weight conscious, cut it to 3/4 length.

Offline Ranger58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
the Thermarest Camprest, it's a little thicker and the air pocket definitely helps keep the cold at bay.  If you're going to really cold area don't try and assist the inflate, the condensation from your breath will freeze up inside and that starts a whole new problem.
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Bear Kodiak 50@28 “the girl”
Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Big Agnes air mat for me.  I carry a repair kit.  Its the only thing not worth skimping on weight in my book.  A good night's sleep means everything and those tiny foam mats on the ground just don't work well for this side sleeper.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I've had a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad since they have come out.  I have not had any issues from Arizona to Alaska with it and it is more comfortable than sleeping on my bed at home.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
I use both a thermarest and a 3/4 length piece of the green military closed cell pads.  I always carry the military pad around, even when I don't have my tent with me.  It's great for spotting.  Rocks get cold and hard quickly.

2.5 vs 5 basically means one is twice as good as the other.  

How much pad you need is inversely related to how old you are.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
Mostly use a thermarest camp rest for fly out and boat trips.  Use a cheap ensolite pad for packing aways, and as was said above, its great for sitting on too when you're glassing for a long time.  If I'm going really light a lot of times I won't take a pad, heck I roll off the pad half the time anyways.  But I definitely use a pad in the winter, or when there's snow.  And don't forget about spruce boughs.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
I have the Big Agnes Air core as well. I put a piece of tyvek house wrap under it to help protect it, as well as a barrier between it and the ground. The Tyvek doest weight really anything.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
If you can afford the weight and bulk then two pads combined are more comfy an a lot warmer in all conditions and you have a spare as mentioned.

Offline matthewp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
I also use and love the Big Agnes insulated air core.  Awesome pad!

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
X2 on the Exped

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by LKH:
How much pad you need is inversely related to how old you are.
You ain't kidding!!  I still use a therma rest 3/4 backpack pad all over the country and in sub zero temps in a bivie sack.  I know it will catch up with me someday.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
Go to a military surplus site and get what us Marines slept on olive drab foam mat that is really good, tough,light and keeps the cold off your back.And it wont cost an arm and a leg.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
I got a therma rest NEOAIR as a present last year.  It is amazing.  If you like ultralight, its the cats meow.  Its not cheap, but I would recommend it strongly.  It condenses to the size of a nalgene and weighs less than a pound.  It is made of a reflective material like survival blankets,inflates, and is very warm in mountains.  I like to save the pack weight and space in my llama train for food in the summer and meat in fall.  :)

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
montana- how durable is it? im gonna have to check that out
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©