3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventures of Hope and Faith Striker  (Read 4124 times)

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventures of Hope and Faith Striker
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Just cleared the post office, Miss Hope is on her way to Virginia.  TalonDale, I hope you have better luck than I did or at least better weather.  I enjoyed my time with this bow and again, I appriciate the opportunity.

Brian

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
Brian,
   Just got her in this morning.  Haven't opened her up yet but the box looks in good condition.  If this rain clears out today I'll run a couple of arrows through her this evening and see what works.  Friday is my birthday and I've taken Friday and Saturday to chase some birds.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Weather is beautiful here today, I hope you got her out for a spin. I'm sure that she's happy to be in Virginia again. I got to shoot her at Rough Mountain last fall, and I am betting that the spring air will have her perky and in a good mood this week.

Killdeer  :)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
Getting my gear together tonight.  I'll be leaving a bit early from work tomorrow.  I'll have my laptop and an aircard so I can post up if I have any success.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
Hapy Birthday Talondale!!  Good luck chasing the birds with a special bow.  I'm anxiously awaiting a report of your fun.....
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
I'll start my report of Miss Hope's adventures now and finish it tomorrow after the AM hunt.

I received the case Monday 4/21 from Brian "From Tulsa".  Unfortunately a work emergency had me working late and I wasn't able to open her or shoot. It was Wednesday before I could get a chance to shoot and see what worked.  My full length Gamegetter II 500 were hitting the riser so I had to use some shorter shafts I had from the year before.  They seemed to fly well and a 7 1/2" brace seemed to work nicely.  This is my first real go with a longbow but it didn't seem like I'd have too much trouble.  I determined to keep it close, 15 yards or less.  
   Friday was my birthday so I had scheduled to take it off from work and hunt Friday and Saturday with my Dad on a family farm in the middle of the state.  The weather was perfect with a warming trend coming in.  Mornings would be around 60 and the highs in the day were 81.  We arrived at our cabin to find that the neighboring property had been logged.  Not something that would impact our hunting but it did expose our cabin to the road and we'd rather it was hidden.  We went and looked at where I was going to be hunting but I had driven my car to save on gas and some of the dirt road was wet from earlier rains so I couldn't go too far in.  I usually park and walk anyway so as not to tear up the road.  It looked good for the morning.  We went back to the cabin and did some cleanup chores; mowing, chainsawing fallen trees, etc. Had dinner and turned in early for the night.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
Morning broke clear and the stars were bright.  My father was going to hunt on his property on the north of 58 and I was going to cross south and hunt on my great-aunt's property.  The odds were against me.  I'm not a great turkey hunter but I've had some success.  I've stalked and killed turkey with a bow (compound) and blackpowder, and called in several others.  My calling skills are limited with just a few standard call routines I use over and over.  I was using a bow and didn't have a blind.  What I did have was a ghillie suit, an intimate knowledge of the area, and the closest thing to exclusive rights to 1,200 acres one could hope for.  The birds are low pressured here and plentiful.  
    One thing I realized I hadn't noticed in my survey the morning before was that they had an early greenup and the fields were over knee-deep.  I felt this was too deep for the turkey to feel comfortable in so I adjusted my plans a little.  I have a routine that I usually follow on this property.  It's been successful many times so I tend to stick with it.  As I said the birds are low pressured and tend to do the same thing year after year.  I usually start out on a long narrow hay field we call "The Long Field", appropriately enough.  It runs North-South with a dirt road on the east edge, and I usually set up near the south side.  It is surrounded by pines.  
 I decided to put my decoys in the short grass on the edge of the dirt road. The turkeys often walk up and down the road and I thought the decoys would be more visible there.
First light would show me that they're still using the roads.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
I got set up inside the wood edge across a ditch.  I had forgotten my stool at home and didn't have my torges seat either.  So I sat on the bank with my feet in the ditch.  First light came and I liked my setup.

I gave some soft yelps and waited.  As the light got brighter I imitated a fly down and some more yelps.  I heard a gobble to my left in the pines.  I waited a while and did some more yelps.  Nothing.  I called off and on for the next 20 minutes with no results.  I changed up my calls and my strikers until I got another gobble from directly out in front of me.  The field has a slight rise and I can't see the other side but it sounded like he was in the pines across from me.  I didn't see or hear anything else again so at 8 I decided to relocate.  As I was walking down the road the opposite side of the field became visible.  I noticed two things:  a section of the field had been disced and plowed, and I saw two dark objects in the field - Turkeys!  I ducked below the rise and backtracked to where I could stand up without exposing myself.  I entered the woods to a depth I felt I could move undetected and worked my way back to where I could see the turkeys.

It was a hen and a tom. (that dark object on the field edge)  I crawled to the edge of the woods and set up a decoy and cleared a shooting lane with my saw.  Backing up into the woods I take a kneeling position and start calling.  The hen and tom look my way but make no move.  They keep feeding and looking but come no closer.  The tom was sticking with the sure thing.  His earlier gobble had probably been from that field inviting me to join them.  The hen finally started feeding away and after some hesitation he followed.  I thought I knew where they were going, a field on the other side of a beaver pond, so I made a wide arc to try and intercept them.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
When I got to the other field I saw it too was disced.  I didn't see any turkey and so I got set up on a corner.  I was on the shade side of a cedar.

I did some calling and heard a jake gobble further west but nothing else.  Later calls were answered by two swans flying overhead, heading to the beaver pond or one of the other ponds.  After a while I figured I guessed wrong and decided to do some walking and calling.  I covered a lot of ground, hardwoods, pines, old cutovers and fields.  We even stopped and let Miss Hope try on a Lady's Slipper, but she decided she prefered brown and green to pink.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
By this time it was getting late.  At this point in the season you can only hunt until noon in VA so I went back to the first field and made a ground blind for the next morning.  I figured the tom would be back and I'd be waiting there for him.
  I went back to our cabin and met up with Dad.  He had a hen come to his popup but hadn't heard a gobble.  We went to get lunch and then came back to do more chores.  We played a game of cards and turned in early for the night.
  The next morning was still 60 degrees but the air was more damp and the sky cloudy.  Thunderstorms were predicted for 2PM.  I made it to my blind with time to spare.  I had two decoys set up in front of me about 10 yards away; a feeding jake and a hen.  I had my back to a pine and a small screen of saplings I had cut arranged in front of me.  I checked to make sure I could draw unobstructed.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Wonderful time of year to be out with a bow! Love the ladyslipper. You are a lucky guy to have habitat like that to hunt, and to know it as well as you do. Thanks for telling the story.

Remember the story? Get on with it!  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Hope should be in Vermont either Monday or Tuesday. Chuck shipped her out yesterday but didn't finish the story for me either.    :p
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
Just received a package from VA.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
Gave Hope a makeover. The rug and strike plate were wore real bad so I replaced them and the string was still the original and some broken strands that made real nervous so I put her new string on her and will get out to shoot her later tonight.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
Wonderful time of year to be out with a bow! Love the ladyslipper. You are a lucky guy to have habitat like that to hunt, and to know it as well as you do. Thanks for telling the story.

Remember the story? Get on with it!    :thumbsup:  
Sorry guys, the delay wasn't intentional.  I was writing and realized it was 11:20PM and I wanted to get up early the next morning for my last hunt with Hope and after that I've been slammed.  Been on the road for work and my new water heater broke Tuesday night, etc.  Killdeer, I'm well aware of how blessed I am and am dreading the day my Great Aunt passes and the property will be divided.  I just wish my kids could grow up hunting it like I did.  Now where was I?

I'm in position and as it get's light I do a couple of soft yelps just to let him know I'm in the area.  I get an answering gobble from the west - not where I'm expecting him to be.  This gobbler sounds like he's on the creek that feeds the beaver pond.  I can only hope he's an add on and not the gobbler I'm set up for.  But all newcomers are welcome.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
At 6:07 AM I look across the plowed field and see my intended target in the edge of the grass.  Using the wingbone call I forgot the day before I gave a yelp.  He gobbled a response.  I yelped back and he gobbled again.  He went into strut.  The problem is he's over 100 yards away.  I tried to snap a picture and the flash goes off, not smart.  I'm still not used to the camera they included with the bow but it's small size made it nice to carry.  That's the tom directly above the jake decoy.

He struts back and forth for a while and eventually starts heading my way, but not directly.  He follows the edge of the field which takes him to my left.  When he's about 65 yards away (about where the twig on the left edge of the picture bisects the grass edge) he starts to strut some more, trying to get the attention of my hen decoy.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
I do a little purring on my slate call to reassure him.  He moves into about 35 yards and goes into full display mode.  I can hear him spit but not drum (I'm sure he's doing it but I just can't pick out the sound from the background noise of the dawning woods).  At this point I try one more picture with the flash turned off.  Too low a light and its blurred.  I put the camera away and concentrate on the task at hand.  I watch him strutting back and forth and resist the urge to call anymore.  He's hooked and I don't want to spook him.  I'm hoping he thinks the hen won't leave the jake.  At this point it would be over if I was shotgun hunting but he had a lot of yardage still to cover before I could take my shot.  He finally starts to angle my way.  Each time he would reach the top of a row he would go into strut and then come out of it as he walked down into the furrow.  Inflate - Deflate - Inflate - Deflate.  It's fun to watch and his head is pure white by now.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
He gets to the grass edge on the side of the field I'm on and he's about 20 feet to the left of my jake decoy.  He goes into full strut and starts walking down the edge of the field.  He looks like a walking McKenzie target and I'm picking a feather to shoot in case I get my chance.  Still in full strut he walks just behind my jake.  He gets to the row almost exactly center between my two decoys and straight in front of me.  He turns his back to me and comes out of strut.  I draw back Hope and pick a spot on his back.  Sitting on the ground I have to cant the bow a little.  I release....and feel a tug on my bow arm.  I watch my arrow soar past the tom 3" to his right.  He clucks and looks around.  I slowly grab another arrow.  He starts walking away slowly.  By the time I have another arrow on string he's about 25 yards away and still moving.  I resist the urge to launch another arrow at him.  He's too alert and the distance too far.  I call to him on my wingbone and he gobbles.  I call again.  He gobbles again.  He goes into half strut but lets back down again.  He's nervous.  Something happened and he's not sure what.  I call again and he gobbles again.  He's still edging away.  He get's about 40 yards away and starts pecking.  I call again.  He cuts off my call with a gobble.  This continues for the next 15 minutes!  I actually got a blister on my lips from all the calling I did and he always gobbled.  I knew I had lost him but was just having fun.  Eventually I got tired, and blistered, and stopped calling.  I wondered if that other tom I had heard earlier was hearing all this and would come to investigate.  He finally headed back into the grass where he came from and out of sight.
    I usually shoot my bow perpendicular but having forgotten my stool and torges seat I was sitting on the ground.  If I had risen to a kneeling position I could have shot like I normally do but I was trying to stay below my blind as much as possible.  This forced me to cant my bow.  I have practiced shooting with a cant but what I hadn't done was trim my ghillie suit to accomadate a canted shot.  The strands on my bow arm that are normally out of the way came in contact with the bowstring and fouled my shot.  To correct this I used my arm guard, in addition to the arm guard that came with Miss Hope, to wrap my upper arm and gather all strands on my suit.  I thought I had considered everything, clearing brush and test drawing for clearance but had overlooked this one item.  No fault of Miss Hope.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
After 30 minutes I call again on the wingbone trying to attract some other tom that had been interested by my earlier conversation with Tom#1, and from the general direction the first tom had gone I got a responding gobble.  He was interested but he wasn't coming, she'd have to follow.  Smart bird.  

After awhile I moved on to an oak lot and once again had swans fly overhead.  They must be migrating north as I doubt the ponds on the farm are big enough for them.  I don't hear any more gobbles and after awhile I head to another field that toms often come to mid-morning to strut and dust.  It's hot by now and although I see plenty of sign my calls get no response and nothing shows.  My hunt is over for the weekend and I know it.  I head back to the front of the property.  My father will be back to pick me up in about an hour and I thought I'd try calling in an area I hadn't been in all week.  After about 30 minutes I decide just to lie down in the shade and wait for my ride.  It's a beautiful, almost summer-like day.  A hammock would be perfect.  But rain clouds are on the way.
    We leave and hit some rain on the way west to our homes.  Two days later a tornado touches down within 5 miles of our hunting lodge and snaps the treetops and takes the roof off of a nice man's house who has let us hunt turkeys on his farm a few years back.  It's the only damage in the area.  Suffolk, my old hometown, didn't fare as well, with a possible 10 tornadoes hitting the area more familiar with hurricanes than tornadoes.
   I try to slip in a couple of pre-work hunts on Thursday and Friday.  Thursday I go directly behind work wear I killed my shotgun tom.  I see a couple of hens in the field in front of me and hear even more in the woods behind me.  I also see a couple of deer kick each other.  But no tom.  Friday I went on to National Forest land to an area I've had close encounters with birds year after year but not this year.  
   My last morning I go up the mountain behind my house and try some calling.  I had over slept a little (stayed up too late posting  :)  ) and was late getting out in the woods.  I wanted to get to a saddle before light but it was well light before I got there.  The ground is torn up from turkeys scratching for that last acorn.  My property goes to just at the crest.  I have permission to hunt the adjoining property to my right and it also follows the ridgeline.  I go that way until I come to a fenceline.  Calling to the bottom below I get a gobbling response.  It sounds like its in the cowfield below, probably well over 100 yards away.  I can't go to him so I call some more.  He sounds farther this time.  I set up my decoy and sit down in a good ambush site.  I've got on two armguards and I'm kneeling this time.  Another gobble comes from below, this time sounding closer.  I answer.  After a pause another gobble, again fainter.  He's struting back and forth, sometimes facing me sometimes with his back to me.  Each time he gobbles I answer.  Other than that I'm quiet, except for an occasional cluck like a feeding hen.  (I'm not sure if my calling strategy is the best and those with more knowledge feel free to point out what I do wrong)  After awhile I know I need to leave if I'm going to get Miss Hope to the post office before it closes.  I head towards home, occassionally yelping like a saddened hen who must reluctantly leave her tom.  He doesn't follow.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: May 08, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I enter my final journal entry and pack Miss Hope away.  My son rides down to the post office with me and we send Miss Hope off to VT to continue the chase of birds.
  I really appreciate the opportunity to share this fine bow with others and the meaning she has for St Judes, a charity that has a special place in our hearts having been recipents of their care; spending our last days with Jesse there.
  Enjoy her and hunt well David.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©