3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trail Cameras  (Read 376 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Trail Cameras
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
I know some look down on trail cameras in our traditional game. But these trail cameras are scouting tools that I will never be without. You can learn so much about your deer other than where they are and at what time.

You can follow a deers progress from year to year as well as keep up with his age.

Without a trail camera I wouldn't have known the buck on the left here had a blind left eye.

Blind eyes are more prevalent than you may think

They tell you just when your deer start shedding velvet.

When you find that deer sign under that acorn tree you will know what is making it, without going to the trouble of hanging a stand and spending an unproductive day or two sitting it to find out.

Sometimes you get some just plain cool nature shots

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trail Cameras
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
You will learn who rules the roost.

You may even get some shots you just like to look at time and time again.

You can find deer you never knew where there.

And how would I have ever known this deer (that I shot in the rump on Dec. 16th after hitting a limb and trailed for over a mile) was still alive? You can see the tuft of hair on his rump where the arrow hit him. I got this photo nine days after the shot.

Then there is the most common use of finding a deer and trying to learn his daily routes.
Once a deer is found you can fan out cameras to learn which way they come and go.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline dauntlesshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Wow! Nice deer!! Looks like youll have ur hands full this fall! Good luck to ya!
Brady

50# @ 26" Dwyer Dauntless

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
I need to find one blind-deaf-and no sense of smell. What kind of camera do I need? Hap

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
One thing I learned this year is how truly sensitive bucks are to intrusions.  Every time I put a trail cam out I got my best action the first time I checked it.  Every recheck the action was less with each time I came to recheck, no matter how discreet and careful I thought I was being. Next season I will be checking them with much less frequency.  They are great tools though!!  TJ you wouldn't go and shoot that buck on his blind side would ya   :p   Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
nice bucks!!!!!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Joe, you definitely have to be careful. I never go in when the wind is blowing wrong or check them to often as you said. I always wear my tall rubber boots as well. I also don't ride a four wheeler right up to them. A little walking never hurt anyone.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
I have a trail camera ... and I've decided I like the pics, etc., but don't like using one to hunt.

I don't have a dog in this fight, its just my personal opinion, but a trail camera seems more like peeking in the neighbor's window than acutally hunting. Besides, what's on the trail camera pics three weeks old isn't what the sign on the ground is showing.

Call me old fashioned, but I like to be in the woods, smell the air, feel the moisture in the dirt, analyse the imprint of the hoof, estimate the traffic and direction, then pick my blind.

I just haven't found my Trophy Cam to give me the same fuzzy warm feeling or even be that accurate for localizing game ... most of the trail cam pics I see are of deer munching on a corn pile ... not my style.

But, I've got some great pics on my Trail Cam I'd not have seen otherwise.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline whitetail_downer100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
Nice deer... I like camera's as well.  They are great as a scouting tool but I like the pictures that you get that have nothing to do with deer as well... coons, foxes, turkey, bear, fisher, and everything else that happens to wander by!
-Captain Logan A. Giger-
USMC
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... but sometimes thats ok"

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by gjarcher:
I have a trail camera ... and I've decided I like the pics, etc., but don't like using one to hunt.

I don't have a dog in this fight,..........

Who said there was a fight?    :thumbsup:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by gjarcher:

I don't have a dog in this fight, its just my personal opinion, but a trail camera seems more like peeking in the neighbor's window than acutally hunting. Besides, what's on the trail camera pics three weeks old isn't what the sign on the ground is showing.

Call me old fashioned, but I like to be in the woods, smell the air, feel the moisture in the dirt, analyse the imprint of the hoof, estimate the traffic and direction, then pick my blind.

I just haven't found my Trophy Cam to give me the same fuzzy warm feeling or even be that accurate for localizing game ... most of the trail cam pics I see are of deer munching on a corn pile ... not my style.

But, I've got some great pics on my Trail Cam I'd not have seen otherwise.
Brian, I bow hunted 24 years before I used my first trail camera. I wouldn't trade the knowledge I learned the old school way for anything and I truly believe there is no substitute. But as you know that kind of scouting and hunting takes a large amount of time to be successful on a regular basis. I have a 12 year old daughter and she requires and deserves most of my spare time anymore. Cameras are a way I can do my homework without actually being there.

Also with one trail camera you can't properly cover any area if you plan on the info from it only to make your decisions. I have found it really takes a minimum of three.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
After getting my first game camera, I was amazed to find out how many bucks were using my property. It added another dimension to my hunting, not by giving me an edge of any kind, but by getting me pumped back up with the knowledge of what was out there. I've never found them to be very effective for helping me hunt a particular deer. Their habits, at least in my neck of the woods, are too erratic to "nail one down" with a game camera. I see patterns, but the patterns change too frequently for the knowledge to be of much help in hunting.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Any wild games pics is fun but I've seen publicity by trail cam manufacturer that I did'nt like(ex.connected to your pc or iphone!!!)...As long as if it's used (for me) properly it's a really time saver and useful tool.Nice pics TJ.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
TJ,
Those are some great pics brother. Looks like you have an awesome spot up there. Thanks for sharing, I'd like to see some more.
                             Charlie
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Nice buck pics.  I don't see anything wrong with trail cameras.  I think it's nice to be able to keep tabs on the wildlife on your property all year.  It really helps me stay out on stand longer when I know a nice buck is cruising my area or I know this particular trail sees alot of doe activity.  It's not like having photos of the deer there once is a guarantee you'll get a shot it's just a nice confidence boost.   TRW

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
Trail cameras offer so much information on whats going on in your deer woods.I can tell for sure when the rut is taking place by all the strange bucks that all of a sudden show up.
You have some cool looking bucks in your area.You must have a strong split brows gene going on there.I very seldem see a split brow tine.Dangit....
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
I think there great,its nice to see whats in the area your hunting,but they have not changed the way I hunt.
michael schingeck

Offline macclare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
The cameras are nice for seeing what goes on at night. Bears, bobcats, coyotes, etc.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Could'nt agree with you more TJ. I always enjoy your trail cam pics.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Tom,  I cant use trail camera's,...  If I knew deer were that big where I hunt, i would be afraid to go into the woods   :knothead:    :laughing:

Nice Pictures.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©