3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I have noticed a lot of guys here who are waiting to get their bows  (Read 249 times)

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
I don't know, but, a guy really doesn't need to scrape, scrimp, and save his duckets to get a custom bow right away. In fact, there are a lot of good bows out there to get started with--and you don't have to break the bank.
 My first traditional bow was a Browning Wasp that I purchased for $75 on the site that can't be mentioned. Of course, the first thing I did was rush out and get me some wood arrows to shoot out of it, and man---those arrows flew AWFUL. Dumbhead me had no clue about this whole "tuning" thing, I simply thought that an arrow was an arrow was an arrow. I fought with that conundrum for a while before discovering this site---where I was immediately set straight, and the shooting started to go a lot better. Of course now I had been transformed into a complete arrow-building junkie, and here I was still shooting that wonderful old Wasp.
 I spent a great deal of time simply drawing that bow, looking at Terry's clock, and working at my form. I shot every chance I could get and destroyed a lot of arrows in the process.
 A huge part of the fun and enjoyment for me was in the experimenting and learning. I was headlong into this journey, and still shooting my $75 bow(my nephew shoots it now). That old bow was in my hand for my very first traditional harvest, and several after that.
 I guess what I am trying to say is that its not all about having a top of the line custom bow. What it is all about is the journey, the sight of a helical-fletched arrow flying true to its mark, the misery, and the improvement as you go.
 Look at the classifieds here at TradGang, look in the paper, look at the pawn shops---somewhere out there is a wonderful old bow that is in dire need of your love and attention. I'll wager that you end up keeping that old bow in your stable--maybe passing it on to a younger archer---forever. If it were about gear, we wouldn't be any different than the mainstream.
 Happy shooting!
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I have noticed a lot of guys here who are waiting to get their bows
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
yup. got my first trad bow from my grand pa, second from my other grand pa and i most just shot what ever arrows i could find and sucked horrible haha.   talked to a guy on another archery site and he was starting to build and sell hybrid longbows. He is 19 and needs money to continue designing his bows he plans to sell so i said hell for $300 ill buy one of his hybrids ( the first one listed in my sig). then i actualy bought arrows made for the bow, first time i did that with trad gear haha. read about tuning and got it all set up and its shooting awsome.  of course i couldnt stop there and i just recently purchased a used beeler r/d longbow (second in sig) tuned her all up and its also shooting awsome. ordered a new string to try on it and plan on hunting turkeys with this one in the spring.  i plan to eventually get myself a really nice custom model someday (think a bigjim thunder child) but right now im happy with what i got and having a blast shooting them
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
I guess I mean to say is that you should simply get started shooting and learning. Learn your shooting style, learn what grip works for you, learn the nuances of tuning, learn. Take it all in. Along that journey, you will discover which beautiful custom bow you want based upon what you have learned from your own personal experiences. Its a happiness, guys, it really is.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
People don't understand "Traditional" till you shoot "Traditional". A lot of people may want to shoot trad and figure the most expensive bow will help them do it, not true, you gotta have that desire and maybe even the respect!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
The most expensive, beautiful bows and long wait times don't prevent the traditional experience either.  It is a mindset.

Shooting a 15-month-wait Snakebit or a instant garage-sale-Grizzly doesn't make me any more or less a traditional archer.

Traditional means just one very simple thing to me. Am I shooting a compound or am I shooting a recurve or longbow? Both are bowhunters and equally terrific sporstmen or women in my book.

There is no price tag on traditional.  I'm getting to where I don't even like the term "traditional". The term is being hijacked to mean something that fits a very small fragment of non-compound shooters.  

When people ask me what I shoot, I simply say recurves.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
Let me ask you this, Bowwild, was your 15-month wait Snakebit your first bow?

The gist of the topic is that a person really doesn't HAVE to have the newest, top of the line, super duper bow right away. Particularly if that person hasn't even spent any time with a trad bow to begin with. The gist here is all about the learning and the doing.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
Spectre.
No. These kinds of custom bows weren't even available when I acquired my first bows; Pearson Cougar, Bear Grizzly, and Bear B Mag. If they had been I wouldn't have been able to afford them anyway.

I subscribe to the premise that when someone shoots a bow they are an archer. When someone hunts with a bow, they are a bowhunter. If that archer uses a compound they are a compound archer or bowhunter. If they don't, then that's a "traditional" archer to me.

I completely agree with your assertion that the bow--it's price, quality, or wait time, if not a compound, has nothing to do with a person being a traditional archer or not.  I don't think owning a $1,500 custom is the key in making a person a better shot, and certainly not a better hunter.

Like you said and another wrote (respect), there are important basics to learn in order to match bow and arrow. There are better ways to learn to shoot than others. There are certainly superior ways to think about your shooting to avoid trouble down the road.

And then we come to the hunt.  One would have to be super-humanly attentive and be able to absorb information better than anyone I've ever met to find a substsitute for experience.  Some things, we just have to learn on our own, if only to back up or refute what we've been told.  I think the highest level of sportsman or woman is one that has a very high respect for themselves (not arrogance). When they have this they will respect others and, to me most importantly, this activity that is an important driver of so many of our lives ...bowhunting.

Again, I think all non-compound-using archers are "traditional".  After that, it is simply adjectives that describe the "level" of traditional archer one is.  Some are avid some are not. Some are more or less self-sufficient. Some are one/few bow people and others are not. Some like to tinker with equipment and form, some don't. Some are cool with never shooting past 10 yards and others aren't.

I enjoy reading the threads of folks searching for the bow they like best (for now). I certainly hope they aren't trying to live up to some "traditional" standard they imagine exists.

I have zero interest in longbows but I read those threads. I don't feel like I have to own a longbow to fit the traditional mold or fit it better.  

I don't think more or less of folks who are over-joyed with one bow that's older than my children. Same goes for people who own more great bows than can be found at a trad fest.

In fact, like others wrote above. I would highly recommend the new archer start their journey with inexpensive equipment that fits them. If the broadside of a barn has no fear, I can't see how the archer can ever be anything but extremely dissatisfied. No amount of antler bling, checkering, rain forest lumber, or multi-angled limb design can make up for a shot gone wild.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
Spectre,
More briefly. Like you I too hope that those among us who are waiting on bows we think are beautiful, aren't causing new folks to think that is a qualifer for being fully traditional.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
I bet if you took a vote, most people waiting 15 months for a bow are not waiting for their first ever bow. Genearlly speaking they have been
1. Shooting for a while and know what they want
2. Probably have more than one bow so they can afford to wait for another.
3. have a deep appreciation for the time it takes to produce a classic custom bow.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
I catch your gist, that being that you don't need a new bow to have a good shooter, nor do you need a new bow to become a good shooter.  I just bet that all those wonderful bowyers out there don't fully appreciate your post though.  Remember that all those old bows out there were once new.  And I think it is worth noting that as amazing as it is how long some of those old bows have lasted, the bows being created today are probably in many cases going to last even longer what with the better processes and products being used in their creation than what was had to work with yesterday. Just saying...     :)    To elaborate further, I am in total agreement with you that a new trad shooter might be well advised to start with a depreciated bow and find his own bow preferences.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
I bet if you took a vote, most people waiting 15 months for a bow are not waiting for their first ever bow. Genearlly speaking they have been
1. Shooting for a while and know what they want
2. Probably have more than one bow so they can afford to wait for another.
3. have a deep appreciation for the time it takes to produce a classic custom bow.
:knothead:   Your absolutely right, however, this thread isn't directed at those guys.

Bowwild-----werd   :thumbsup:
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
I have ordered many new bows, some with very long lead times including the original ACS bows that had a 4 year ramp up to production. I never 'waited' for any of them, in fact I ordered other new bows while the bowyer was waiting to finish orders. Get your order in and forget about it, that way they are never late and you are not waiting.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
I see the points of views of everybody and I agreed with everybody.Most of the time is the dreamer in us that needs a bow,the hunter takes advantage of what he already owns.I buy bows when i don't hunt.If I hunt I don't need any other bow than the one I am carring.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
I have to second Roy's comment regarding what "was" available to us when we started.  I consider myself lucky to have made a great first bow purchase with my 1969 Super Kodiak.  That was about as top of the line as you could get in 69 among the better bows of the day.  I had to wait a week for the dealer to get it and that week was every bit as bad as some of the multi month waits I have endured in more recent history waiting on a custom bow.

If bows would have been available at pawn shops and garage sales (there were no garage sales in my part of the country in 68-69) I likely would have bought one that way.

I agree... ya dont need a new bow to be a or develop into a good shooter......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
all the bows i currently have, or have ever had have been pre-owned, with the exception of 2 howatt super diablo's in the '70's. the exception will be the MOAB that jim reynolds will be crafting for me. it will be worth the wait----.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline wildwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
If it wasn't for the wait I wouldnt be having Christmas in March.....I hope LOL
delivered by grace

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 03:40:00 AM »
I had to wait a while for both my custom bows, and of course I wanted them NOW! I think the key is knowing the difference between want and need.

Also, for many custom bowyers it's not a full-time job. They've got lives to lead beyond bow making. Cut them some slack and work with them - we'll all be much happier.
Alan

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
I certainly agree that one does not need or have to wait to get a functional bow or one of perceived high quality. It is an individual thing as to what one is looking for in a bow including utility, looks and cost. My first bow is broken as are some others that I bought at a price I could afford back then. Thank God people do take the time and spend the money to buy new so there are used bows available out there as quickly as the sales transaction can take place.  I have ordered many bows custom and other that today I would happily part ways with which gives someone else the opportunity to get a custom or other bow at a great price and quickly.  Some may think that is foolish and a waste of money…I sure do not regret making the order or spending the money because I supported a bowyer I have respect for and in the process learned a little more about what I really like and want in a bow. I could go out and buy a low cost bow and be just as happy and achieve the same results in the woods. I want to support the art of bow making. That is my journey which is different that of others. My learning process or journey  is some ones gain and I am pleased to see a good bow go to someone that will treasure it in their journey.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Spectre:
The gist of the topic is that a person really doesn't HAVE to have the newest, top of the line, super duper bow right away. Particularly if that person hasn't even spent any time with a trad bow to begin with. The gist here is all about the learning and the doing.
My first trad bow was a lemon wood self bow my Dad made when he was in Boy Scouts. It never was 'mine' but I shot thousands of arrows from it. The first one that was mine is a Martin Hunter my wife bought me the first year we were married. I still have it and enjoy shooting it along side bows that cost several times more. I am only 55 and am still learning the trad ways and methods...and hope to continue learning until I go to the Great Hunting Ground.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
That's why they call it " A journey " ,It's not so much as to where your are at but where you are going.

I too am on a waiting list, and two of them a matter of fact one for a Griffin and a Shrew, Both will be long waits .But I've had many bows that have been passed on because I too have learned from them to pass on to others to learn from the same bows .

I guess the one thing that I've learned That is the best advice I've ever had "Don't over bow yourself"

You have to let the equipment teach you ,If you approach it like I'm going to accomplish this  and conquer it "You're done for "

You need to approach it as if you become a part of that bow once you pick it up and put it in your hand . Like others have said it is
" a mindset "  

If I could put it into one word traditional archery is "Simplicity" And if I had to put it into another word especially for the people on this site

"Friendship"

Because you can't find any better people than traditional people ,And on this particular site ii is full of people that have heart and dedication and character that all develop into a learning experience that is pleasant .

I've found if you open your mind especially on this site ,Others will open their hands ,Helping hand that is .

Still waiting but learning !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©