3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any Bear T/D shooters?  (Read 491 times)

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Any Bear T/D shooters?
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
I have started shooting my Bear TD (Green Stripe) and just love it! I am looking for folks who shoot one of the newer Bear TD (2010-2011). Would like to know how they shot, are they worth the current price, what is the price of an extra set of Bear limbs? Any who has shot the older (70-80) TD, how the new bows compare to the older one? Thinking about purchasing a NEW TD, but hate to shell out that kind of money and not enjoy it!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Bear T/D shooters?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
My favorite, since I can't or afford if I did, Type 1 (original)A riser in LH, is the A Mag. I also shoot a B mag and an A Supreme. I've also owned Green Stripes and B Supreme.

I have a new A Riser TD on order - should be to me in early August (ordered on Jan. 7th).  I haven't shot the new one but I've handled them and I like it very much, more than the Supreme or Green Stripe.

The bow retails for $799. The riser alone MSRP is $479. I don't know the price of limbs alone but I would immange about $320?  

IT is a joy shooting the Bear TD's not just because of the slickness of putting them together but the "history" of the thing -- it's connection to Mr. Bear.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
I love the old green stripes!  Right now I have a matched pair of B mags though (traded my greenstripe for 'em).

The new T/D looks good, but the limbs are just the same that they've been making and there's room for improvement there.

For MY[/b] money, nothing beats the aftermarket limbs from Rose Oak Creations.  Here's an indepth review I did some time ago:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=078764#000000
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Would love to have one with rose oak limbs.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline ishi1archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I have a 1971 A-mag in 45# that I  love to shoot. I'd love to find a set of 50-55#ers for it. A great bow!! I've been looking at the new one's but just don't have the scratch right now.

Tooooo many bows and counting!!!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I haven't seen the new ones yet,but if I had to buy some limbs they will be the Rose Oak ones.I am waiting for my third pair,this can tell you something.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
I agree with Rose Oak limbs. I am buying a pair of the new Bears though (#3 size) just to compare to my ROs.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I have not the newest one but the most recent before that.They are great bows,worth the money but the Bear limbs are a little "doggy".I have owned three sets of Bear limbs,1 old and 2 sets of newer.After getting a set of Rose Oak limbs,I sold all 3 sets of Bears.Those Rose Oak limbs made it an entirely different bow and it was a good shooter before that.

Basic black or brown Rose Oaks don't cost anymore than the bear limbs.If it were me,I would buy a Bear riser and a set of Rose Oak limbs.You won't find a better shooting bow.Bear is selling risers and limbs separately now,so it is a win-win.

A friend of mine says mine is the quietest recurve he's ever heard and he has probably 50+ years in traditional archery.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Love the green stripe. Have a new one on order. Just spoke to 3 rivers and they have NO idea when they will be getting any. They have not received one take down yet. Only received a couple one piece bows so far.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
I have a new one on the way as well...we shall see.....

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
I shoot a A mag riser and a new A wood riser and I prefer the A mag over the wood riser with # 1 Bear limbs.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
wow, you can buy just the risers from Bear now? Fantastic!! I have a set of rose oak limbs, so I am almost there!
bryce olson

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
Great to see the Bear TD guys on this one.

I seem to prefer the "newer" vintage TD risers in both A and B. All of them shoot just the way I like and feel perfect for my hand. Also have a Mag riser in the B length and it too shoots very well.

I have another set of Rose Oak limbs on order and like the others above have mentioned they are fantastic.

Just to add another layer to the discussion right now I have several sets of the Green Tip Bear limbs and they seem to shoot pretty well for me.

Bear is supposed to be shipping me a brand new A Riser next week.....we will see. Anxious to get my hands on it and put it through its paces.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
John C, can't wait to see that new A riser and here your assessments.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I'm supposed to have a new A-handle in two to three weeks. But, I've heard that before.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
March 4th makes 8 weeks for me which was the estimate when I ordered the A Riser with #3 limbs.

I've been buying custom parts from Monte (inrut)to finish out a B Mag when I receive it back from BigJim's dipping operation this week.

This riser is undergoing; sandblasting, predator dipping, brand new latch kits, strike plate, rubber shelf, crews on window plate, leather strike plate pad, and even new leather pads on the latches.  Maybe I'll put the cool little "bears" Monte makes for the latches, but since this is a RH bow and I'm a lefty, maybe not. The only thing original will be the riser itself which was crazy as it sounds, a 9 of 10 when I bought it froma Trad Ganger!

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. Where is the best/quickest place to buy a new Bear TD riser? Guess I might as well get on with it!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Really hard to beat a Bear TD. Mag or Wood they are both great.

This Thursday will make 17 weeks since I ordered and paid for my New Bear A Handle.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Several TG sponsors do, or you could order through any local archery shop to  you that carries Bear product.

I would attempt to list the sponsors but I know I would leave someone out.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
I have some bear td bows on order. let me know what your looking for.

thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©