3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you know when you have a really sharp broadhead?  (Read 695 times)

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you know when you have a really sharp broadhead?
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Just purchased a KME knife sharpener and have been working with Jake on sharpening some Stingers. I have nothing but great things to say about the KME sharpener and thier service. Get one you will like it.

So here is the deal. I believe I have the Stingers somewhat sharper than they come in the package. I can take the hair right off my arm, but they still are not as sharp as I would like. I would like razor-sharp, so sharp that you have to avoid the edges and I am not there at all.

How do you know when you have them as sharp as you can?? Is there some kind of test other than cutting the hair off your arm  ;)

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you know when you have a really sharp broadhead?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
Applying only the weight of the BH, set the BH across your thumbnail at about 45 degrees...then drag the BH across the thumbnail in a direction perpendicular to the BH edge.  If the edge is sharp it should immediately grab into the nail with no pressure whatsoever.  Hope that makes sense.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Thanks Brett, I did that last night and it did leave a slight cut on nail, but I did not feel a drag or grab much.

I will try that again this weekend.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
RAy,

What angle are you using on the BH edge? To get a true razor edge, you would have to really thin the edge down to the point where the edge could be considered fragile. I get my heads sharp then run them on a set of fine crock sticks to fine hone the egde. I guess I'm doing 17-20ish degree on my BH's and I feel it gets them real sharp but retains edge strength. I have been using this method of sharpening for a long time and it works well for me. If it ain't broke...

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
JL,

I am still working on that, but it is somewhere between 25 and 22. I guess it makes some sense that the shallow angle would be more razor shaper

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
They take hair off your arm!!!  But still not as sharp as you would like - How do you know they arn't?  That's you answer.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Typically shaving hair easily has been the standard test for most and does seem to work well, dragging across your nail can be inconclusive depending on how much you angle the blade into the nail as you move it and how rough the edge actually is.  I guess this question always will come up cuz nobody really knows "how sharp is sharp"?  I deal with this question quite often with our customers.  
A thinner edge angle on your blade will be sharper and easier to resharpen but it will also be weaker and what good does it do to have a super sharp edge if the edge integrity is lost the moment it impacts the animal, you still need the edge intact and sharp as it passes thru the animal.  That is why pretty much 20 degrees is the standard on most knife blades and broadheads will normally run in the 20-25 degree angle.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
If they will shave my arm I'm happy.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
There are a couple tests I like.  The "hair off your arm" for honed edges and a rubberband for filed.  

Hold a rubberband so it is just taught between the thumb and middlefinger of one hand and push the broadhead edge along it with just the weight of the arrow for downward force.  It should slice it cleanly without stuttering in a single pass.  Works for a honed edge, too.

I just did up six Magnus II and my left arm is bald from the shoulder down to the middle of my forearm.     :thumbsup:     There is something relaxing and satisfying about filing and honing broadheads.

Note on the arm hair: a really sharp broadhead will "pop" the hair so that you can actually hear it crackle.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the responses...

I was just searching and found a ton of information on this subject, I should have done that first. I think we have covered all the "standard" testing methods.

Bowmania, you are right I don't know.

Mark I find your response very insightful I was coming to the same conclusion. Perhaps razor sharp is NOT so good anyway.

I am thinking that more practice will help me, I have always used the stingers out of the package with an accu sharp every once-in-a-while. Never had problems killing deer and hogs like that. So I am probably good to go.

Still it is a nagging question isn't it. Do I have the broadhead to that perfect sharpness for what us bowhunters want?

Offline Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
When we teach, to emphasize how important a razor sharp broadhead is, we use a shower ring that has several layers of rubber bands stretched across it.  Then the broadhead tipped arrow is passed through with very little pressure.  The rubber bands explode when they come into contact with the broadhead.  We then show how it is with a dull broadhead and a not so sharp one.  They pull and grab, rather than slice right through.  The rubber bands simulate veins and arteries in an animal.  this works very well.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
When I set my Snuffers on my arm and hair 3 inches in front of the blade jumps off in fear   :-) they are ready to hunt with ;-)
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
When I barely run my finger over the edge and it scares me how sharp it feels.    :scared:
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bull Elk

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
When it puts six stitches in your left thunb, and immediately puts six stitches in your left pointing finger.  Plus, you are on blood thinner.  Needles to sayh you don't stop to clean up your basement work table.   Jim
Jim

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steertalker:
Applying only the weight of the BH, set the BH across your thumbnail at about 45 degrees...then drag the BH across the thumbnail in a direction perpendicular to the BH edge.  If the edge is sharp it should immediately grab into the nail with no pressure whatsoever.  Hope that makes sense.

Brett
Thats pretty much how I tell if mine are...... I dont get mine mirrored but i get em so they stick immediatley on my nail....Ive shot straight through animals with that...

Good Luck

Dave
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
How about if you drop the arrow from about 6 inches and it hits your leg, penetrating 1.5" and narrowly missing an artery, sending you to the emergency room? I won't say who this happened to, but um the scar is interesting and the broadhead was, I think, sharp ENOUGH.

Offline swampsSonny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
If the hair on your arm jumps or pops as soon as the blade touchs without any preasure than you could most likely shave your face with it which is much harder than shaving arm hair.I'm NOT suggesting shaving your face that'd be entirely up to you LOL but hairs popping at the touch will be sharp enuff

Someday I'm gonna get a KME maybe this yr at Denton
shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
I have found that light stropping on cardboard that has been rubbed with jewelers rouge after the initial sharpening will take it to another level of sharp.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
RayMo,

In order to get them sharper go to finer and finer grit on your sharpening surface.  I have the KME and the set of stones but like to use a piece of plate glass and wet/dry sandpaper on it.  I only go as fine as 600 grit right now but you can go down to 2000 to get a mirror edge that should be scalpel sharp.  I know my Grizzly's are plenty sharp to scare me now, I can't imagine getting them any shaper.  Do a search for JimG - he has some pics of his Grizzly's with a mirror edge.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
I have always sharpened until I could push the blade across my thigh and shave hair. Then, I talked to a broad head maker. He said I should test by pushing the blade forward, the same way it would go into an animal to test.

I've been a fantatic about hair-shaving sharp all these years, Sometimes I wonder if I've gone overboard.  I've heard of so many acccomplished bowhunters who simply use a file to touch up heads. I've never tried that but I wouldn't think a file would produce hair-shaving sharp?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©