3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Hunting Without the aid of a blind  (Read 477 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Hunting Without the aid of a blind
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Here here now!  I' m really not worthy enough to tote RC s bow in the woods!!

Julian.....DSD decoy feeding hen......if I had only one to buy......or new

I got a new get up this year......let say I look like a tree truck.. Changed my chair up some......and got a 2 new decoys.....got. 4 states lined up to hunt........I have got to sell some turkey calls to float this habit!
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Here here now!  I' m really not worthy enough to tote RC s bow in the woods!!

Julian.....DSD decoy feeding hen......if I had only one to buy......or new

I got a new get up this year......let say I look like a tree truck.. Changed my chair up some......and got a 2 new decoys.....got. 4 states lined up to hunt........I have got to sell some turkey calls to float this habit!
The old wise one has spoken....DSD feeding hen it is then.    :readit:

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
I educated a lot of turkeys in IN, KS, and MO before I moved my operation into a blind. I reckon I just am too fidgety. As soon as I started hunting out of blinds I started to kill birds.

I'm not as portable as the "Go and Bow" fellows (as opposed to "Run and Gun"). I  have to scout, listen in the pre-dawn to confirm my scouting, put up the blind and stay there for the duration of that hunt. My hunting areas aren't real big anyway so moving around isn't that much of an option for me.

A fellow who can consistently kill turkeys, especially easterns, without blinds has my respect!

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys! does anyone have any feedback on these new zink decoys? i usually dont use a decoy due to the fact that i am usually calling to the hens to get them worked up to bring the gobbler in but these seem preety realistic might be worth a try
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
I use a ghillie. Forget the set up where you call gobblers straight to you in the open woods in the fields. I do use a decoy when I need to. I use bottle necks,gate opening,loging roads,cow (just like deer hunting) trails anywhere the gobbler has to go past you to the decoy.
  Forget about seting your decoy where it can be seen. Remember if you can see the gobbler he can see you. Everyone dose this.Gobblers are use to seeing this. I also like to set up right behind a hill top where the gobblers in range when I first see him.
  I set up and call the gobbler to  me then he see's the decoy after he's already coming in. I don't use the decoy to draw the gobbler in. This works but way to many people spook gobblers like that. Then when he see's it he has no problem comeing those last 50 yards or so. Very seldom to I have hang up's. Unless the gobbler in and area thats had lots of decoying pressure.And he's been realy spooked by someone. Then I NEVER USE DECOYS.
  Scouting is where it's at. I never set up on a roosted gobbler. It's far bet to know which way he'll head when he gets the ground. Remember you don't have a shot gun. It's alot easyer to call your gobble to you if he already wants to go that way. Your calling just went from good top great.
  Know where his hens are,where the water is the food scorce where the hens will go after fly down as wellas nesting areas. GOBBLERS WILL SHOW UO AT THESE PLASES.
 I get shots every year with selfbows. I SAID SHOTS.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
this past weekend I talked to a gun turkey hunter that uses a Gillie suit.  He said that he has had it twice that other run and gun turkey hunters have half panicked and started pointing  their shotguns at him.  Reminded me of the kid that took a pot shot at the bright yellow spot he saw a tree with his 22 rifle, the yellow spot was a bow quiver full of arrows.  Makes you want wear something that will at least let the other 'hunters' know that they are not seeing ghosts.  What's with those run and gun guys? i have had trouble with them nearly every year.  someone should design camo track suits and cross country track shoes just for them.  I set up a blind and had them sitting a hundred yards off, thinking i knew something, which I did not, I guess.  I figured then that if my blind was going to attract other hunters, it was of no use to me.  That was the best thing I ever did to make turkey hunting more fun. But now my wife says we are not getting Ghillie suits.

Offline MIKE WIRT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
IM GONNA USE A GHILLIE THIS YEAR AND HAVE COMITTED MYSELF TO GET A SPRING BIRD WITH MY RECURVE OR LONGBOW, PERIOD. I HAVE NEVER KILLED A TURKEY WITH A BOW, EVEN WHEN I USED TO SHOOT WITH TRAINING WHEELS. AS FAR AS DECOYS, IM GONNA USE MONTANA DECOYS. I HAVE THE DOE DECOY AND IT IS AMAZING. TURKEYS LOOK EVEN BETTER.
UBM MEMBER
COMPTON MEMBER

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
I missed a shot on a nice tom with no blind at 9 feet last season. I try and set up with a bir obstacle between me and the birds, draw when theyre close, shoot when they come into view. by no means a perfect system, but it can work if the stars align.
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline selfbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
Decoys will help distract the bird, when they get close. It's important to use all the shadows you can. If your lucky enough to have cedars in your area they are a turkey hunters dream. If your hunting hardwoods use the trees to your advantage. Set up where the birds have to go behind the tree to approach you. When they come out be ready to shoot. If you are hunting a field, put your decoys on the edge and you set back in the timber a ways. The birds will study the edge of the timber very carefully. Again let the bird go behind a tree and then get him. If you do everything right and you are lucky, you might harvest somthing 1/3 of the time. The rest of the time you get to eat humble pie.

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
I have had success on drawing on turkeys using ranchero gillie suit, seated on small seat, with a tree trunk to my back or a blow down to my back, and drawing very slowly.  The gillie suit is a great help in camo and looking like just another vegetation mass.  But the other main key is the dark background.  The blow down gives the greatest amount of background if the turkey comes from your side rather than from the front.  The tree trunk or the blow down keeps your outline from being seen even with a gillie suit. Another way is to set up just opposite as most people set up, that is have the bird coming from your back and shooting the bird in the rear.  Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Remember on a single tom, if he struts,he will most likely spin. When he turns away with his fan covering his head , you have several seconds to draw your bow.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Badwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
Last year was my 1st time ever hunting with a long bow and my method was pretty easy... i should have tagged out with my bow but.....

All i did was essentially hide behind a tree. my dekes only 5 steps on the other side. I sit dead still when the birds are working in. THen ease my draw and without doubt they will hop back to about 15 yards and look back... there is your shot... I missed 4 jakes and connected on a huge long beard that pitched out on a pasture that i lost... but all came to wellllll with in bow range.. just my .02
Brandon Moore
Rome,Ga

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Knapper that having the bird come through you idea doesnt sound half bad.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©