3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One-Piece Only ?  (Read 691 times)

Offline Karebru

• Trad Bowhunter
One-Piece Only ?
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
How many prefer a one-piece bow over a take-down, and shoot them exclusively? Why do you prefer a one-piece?
Is it a matter of weight, balance, looks?
Thanks!
Kanati 60" 48#@29"
Kanati 60" 38#@29"
There are only two types of leaders. Those bloated by power, and those humbled by responsibility.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One-Piece Only ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
I prefer one piece longbows and takedown recurves. Still haven't figured that one out myself.  :biglaugh:  To me I just like the looks and feel of a one piece longbow, and like the same things about a takedown recurve.

Bill

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
I have always liked the lighter weight of a one peice. When I put my quiver on seems to balance perfectly. Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
Ive got both. I like my one piece the best, but i think it's because it's that much more simple and less to go wrong. Now in saying that I've had nothing go wrong with any of my take-downs and they shoot just as good. And when it's time to travel some where and I need a take-down to put in my suitcase well then I like my take-down better.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
I have two take down recurves. If I can ever justify getting another bow, it's going to be a one piece recurve.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Ky Double Lung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
I like the lighter weight of the one piece, although a two piece longbow would travel much easier!
Cactus Cal's
'Saguaro' R/D Longbow 58"
55 lbs. @ 28"
Beman 340 MFX Classic 31"
100 grain brass insert
2 blade 125 Magnus Stinger
Total weight: 592 grains
"Bustin' hearts all over Ky."

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Whether longbows or recurves, all my bows are one-piece. For me it's just a preference primarily based on looks rather than function. If I travelled by air I would probably purchase a take-down, but that's not something I do. Then again I really don't find transporting a one-piece bow any more difficult than transporting a rifle.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
All one piece for me also. Simple and light. Appeals to my eye more as well.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Having been a compound shooter, I cannot use a bow that has metal bolts and requires an allen wrench, without feeling dirty. LOL

I guess if I wasn't a former compound shooter, it probably wouldn't matter. But for me, I'll never own anything other than 1 pc bows. Just my taste alone, I don't care what others do as far as their trad bows.

It's like metal risers. While metal risers have been around for a long time, I'd never own one for the same reason as above, but if a metal riser floats your boat, knock yourself out and enjoy.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
I prefer a one piece longbow because of the lightness in the hand but have had to go to two piece bows for travel.  Airlines have made it very prohibitive to travel with one piece bows.  If I drive, I take my one piece exclusively. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
One piece for me. I like the light feel so much I won't hunt with a bow quiver.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
I've read/heard from several one-piece owners that they actually ship the bow via USPS to their destination ahead of their arrival. It seems to work well. I've never flown anywhere for a hunt and don't foresee that happening anytime soon. Given that fact, the cost-effectiveness of the 1pc over the 2pc, along with the fact that the option of shipping the bow ahead of time (should the opportunity to fly to a hunt arise) exists...I'll take the good 'ol 1pc...
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
I like a one piece bow in both long and recurve styles. Slim lines and lightness works for me. Then again, I can see how a take-down would be better for airline travel or even with a group of fellas in one vehicle on a hunting trip.

... mike ...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Have both one piece and 3 piece takedown longbows and I like both for different reasons.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
One piece for me even though I have a Fox takedown...I always seem drawn to bows with no limb bolts or metal hardware on them...Nothing wrong with takedowns but if I had my choice it would defintly be a one piece...

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
I don't prefer a one piece over a TD.I have both one piece and TD's.  I like them all.  

The TD recurve stays together and strung 90% of the time. The one piece recurve hangs un strung. The LB stays un strung and the TD LB stays together but un strung... Its a two piece BW PL and I can not tell the difference between it and my one piece PL.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
If I was ever to get a take down longbow, I would get the "Bow bolt", I just have never liked bolts on the front of limbs ,That is just me ,See I told you have an attitude ! I have had a couple take downs and I could never got used to them. I think I shoot better with a one piece.

I like a lightness of it. There's just something about that continual line from one tip to the other ,Can't explain it ,Mentally ,I understand the power that goes into the arrow on that basis .

See I told you can't explain it !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
All one piece for me,Longbow, or recruve. I just like the looks and weight of them better.  :archer:
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I like a 3 piece takedown recurve, for several reasons.
1. I like a little more mass weight in the riser, seems steadier and more dead in the hand.
2. If I damage, fall, or break a limb, I can buy a replacement set.You cant do that with a one piece. I had a older bow, was my favorite years ago, a Black Widow onepiece. Delaminated in the limb one day, I just about cried. Always easy to store when traveling, especially if you got 2-3 trad shooters in a truck, Duuhhh!
samuel koger

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I just like the lines on one piece bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©