3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: brush buttons  (Read 368 times)

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
brush buttons
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
chub here' who uses brush buttons/brush deflectors one the recurves to quiet them down or whats the best way to stop string slap on curves i also us puff balls on string

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: brush buttons
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Huh.....I use brush buttons to stop brush from lodging in between the string and limb.

:bigsmyl:
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
I didn't like the brush buttons....didn't deflect like I thought they would...did a little, but not totally.

As far as string slap....that's the reason I developed BowHush.

www.bowhush.com
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
When I had brush buttons on my bow, I couldn't really notice a difference in noise with or without them. They didn't keep crap out of my limbs either.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
With the heavy brush all over this area, I won't carry a recurve into the woods without them.  They work if installed correctly.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Did not work well for quite or brush.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline bearbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
They worked for me but if you have them just touching your limb like they are supposed to they sure can make a pretty good wacking sound. I quit using them long ago.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
They work for me........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
In a long ago far away land brush buttons were mandatory if you wanted to be thought of as knowing what you were doing.  They were especially important if you had one those short brush bows that were popular at the time.  This of course was before things like compounds and later traditional archery come along.  

Just like then they work ok but few people use them now.  Try them for yourself and make up your own mind.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Online sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
I used to use them. They seemed to work ok. But if not adjusted right as Bearbowman says they will make quite a racket. Gary

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Asked the same question last year. Am now "brush button free". Try saying that 5 times fast!
THOUGHT I had them properly installed but still caught the brush and were noisy. Always seemed to be fooling with them as well.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by bearbowman:
They worked for me but if you have them just touching your limb like they are supposed to they sure can make a pretty good wacking sound. I quit using them long ago.
Same here! Jason

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
I always thought (dating back to the 60's) BBs were obligatory. Buy a bow and put silencers and BBs on the string.  This second time around shooting recurves (I'm going to stop using the term traditional)I also bought some BBs and put them on some bows. Often they cracked and worked out of place against the curve.

I took them off the string and don't use them anymore. I even have an unopened pack or two laying around. I don't think I sacrifice any quiet factor but I do pick up a small weed or leaf from time to time.

Not a big deal for me because, frankly I'm as fanatic about being careful with my bow and arrows as I hunt as I am to protect my eyes. For instance, I would never lay my bow on the ground quiver-side down like I see in some pictures even though I shoot nearly very durable carbons.  Whenever I see guys on TV throwing their bows with full quivers around as they get posed for the heroe shot, I figure they aren't paying for their equipment.

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
If you want to try some, pm me your address and I'll send you a pair (in good shape), I took off my recurve. They deflected brush fine, but slipped on my string and then made some noise. Like others, I was always messing with them. I like simple, so took them off...
CoilSpring

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
They work for me, always have. I don't notice any noise and they work as they should at keeping brush from hanging up(if they are installed with the flat side in or away from the tip)  :campfire:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Have used them since the 70's. The material that they have been made from has changed several times over the years. I much prefer the softer material over the very hard.
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
They are just junk on your string that you don't need. A bad idea in the sixties, and still a bad idea today.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
Some years ago, I ordered some for the Kodiak Magnum and the old static tip Bear I was shooting then.  They were not made of rubber, but of foam of some type.  You had to wrap the string above and below them with some kind of thin cordage (I used strands of an old string) to hold them in place.  They worked well to keep the brush out, and were much lighter in weight and quieter than the dark brown hard rubber ones from the 60's.  I quit using them when I switched to a longbow----I just picked up another recurve, and have been looking to buy more, but can't find the source, and I can't remember the brand name.

Anyone remember them?  Have you seen them advertised recently?

I could probably make them easily if I could find some cylindrical foam of the same consistency----I looked at backer rod, but it doesn't seem dense enough.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Joshua Grimshaw

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
I gave up on them.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
I have not had good luck with them. They also seem to make my bow louder.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©