3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need some help  (Read 311 times)

Offline huntersteve

• Trad Bowhunter
need some help
« on: June 12, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
I'm in the process of building my first red oak longbow....my next step is to apply a backing to the bow....I've ordered a clear fiberglass backing for the bow and am waiting for it to arrive...my question is...when I glue up the backing to the bow ,do I need to clamp the backing in place while it dries?...if so can I use c-clamps and blocks of wood?? any help with this would be great...the build-along that I'm following does not give any detail for this....Thanks Steve

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need some help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
Wow!  Almost to the bottom and no-one has answered this one.

All my experience so far is with selfbows, so someone else will definitely know more about this than me, but I would say yes.  You need something to hold it in place until it is dried/cured.  A bow form would be the ideal thing, but there are other ways to accomplish it.

I'll put it to the top so someone with more experience than me can jump in here.

Marvin

Offline Stalker58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
TTT

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Ive never backed with fiber glass but yes you need to clamp it. You can put some reflex in it at the same time.
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
The only experience I have is with drywall fiberglass tape and you don't clamp that.If you are talking about the regular bow glass on all laminated bows,yes you will have to clamp and use something under your clamp blocks like thick rubber or thin alumunum to dispurse the pressure and clamp about every 2 inches.

I would think fiberglass material similar to cloth would work fine on a self bow.

Offline Crimson mist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 01:33:00 AM »
Sometimes red oak will get compression fractures on the belly when using high strength, thick backings, like glass, hickory and bamboo, thinner cloth backings work well like linen and cotton and they mostly just make the wood tension safe however putting glass on osage, hickory or other strong compression woods is another story

Offline huntersteve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 06:12:00 AM »
thanks for all the help....maybe I should stick with linen or drywall tape for this time since it's my first bow...steve

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Steve, I have limited experience with self bows but from what I have studied,a Red Oak bow should be built long enough and wide enough for the archer's draw.Then it can be backed with linen,rawhide,drywall tape or something similiar just to keep it from raising a splinter on the back.

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
I think adding fiberglass to the back only will only end in a broken bow. Or so I have heard. Use linen or something like it.

Good luck and take some pictures for us guys without a project going on.  :)
Jason Lester

Offline huntersteve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
thanks for the info.....I've been taking pics as I go along....I'll try and post some of these up for you guys....I had someone to suggest using camo fabric as a backing....does it matter what the fabric actually is...and is one layer all that is needed? Steve

Offline huntersteve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
here are some of the pics.....
  ngglue-up004Small.jpg[/IMG]

Offline huntersteve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
6-7-20 07008roughedoutthebellySmall.jpg[/IMG]

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
Looks nice. Just make sure your stiff in the handle/ fade area or the extra wood you glued on will want to pop off.
Jason Lester

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©