3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boiling/Cooking skulls  (Read 371 times)

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boiling/Cooking skulls
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
I do what Westbrook and Meathead do... stick the head in a bucket of water in my shop and let it sit, changing the water periodically.  Stinks up my shop, but that's not a big deal.  Results are great, no peroxide required.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
The power washer is the way to finish them up.  I've never had a problem with the nasal cavities.   The bonus..... are the looks you get while blowing a skull out at the local Super Wash.    :cool:
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
Nice skull. I use arm and hammer soda wash.  Don't use too long(max 45mins), makes fat and meat just fall off.  I wrote something on here before about it.  Probably cuts my boil time in half.  Good luck

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
No boiling, just simmering.....boiling makes bone brittle and so will bleach if your not careful.

I did mine using nothing but water and a about a 1/4 cup of Borax in each water bath. You just want the water temp to almost a boil and no higher. Never used any bleach or peroxide what so ever, only Borax. Best natural degreaser found anywhere and it doesn't make the bone brittle.

~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »
I bought some dermestid beetles and have been cleaning out the freezer for the last year. It has been fun and the smell isn't bad as long as you do one skull at a time. I wouldn't buy them for one one deer skull but if you have a handful it is well worth it.

Offline snufer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Google javelinahunter.com. they have a great tutorial about this.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
two tips; first never use your wifes good soup pot, had to buy a new one for her to make bouibasse after she came home from work early and saw the antlers stiking out of the pot.  This brings me to tip two, NEVER do this in the house.  Especially in  a one bedroom apartment.  Bonus tip three, should you choose too ingnore tip one and two, don't let the wife catch you.  Clean the pot and air out the apartment BEFORE she gets home.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©