3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbows or recurves  (Read 200 times)

Offline Badwinds

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbows or recurves
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Here is a question for all, what is more forgiving, accurate and over all easier to shoot a longbow or recurve,

:archer2:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbows or recurves
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I've read a lot of posts about this, and own and shoot both recurves and longbows.  I've come to the conclusion that it's a matter of personal preference.  The distinction between longbows and recurves is blurred by the proliferation of reflex-deflex longbows that tie the two together.

There is no question that all other things being equal, a recurve will shoot a faster arrow than a longbow, since it stores more energy during the draw.  However, this comes at a price, as recurves have a greater tendency to get limb twist than longbows do.

However, all things are never equal, so you will find some longbows that will shoot a faster arrow than some recurves of the same draw weight.

You will probably find much more difference between arrows than between bows.  There is a reason that there is a different class in tournaments between longbows shooting wooden arrows and recurves shooting carbon arrows.  Wooden arrows are heavy and so have a high trajectory, weights and spines are not consistent, and they can get a bend in them even while you're shooting them in a tournament.  Carbon arrows are straight, consistently spined, and can be whatever weight you want within a close tolerance.

So why shoot a straight-limbed longbow with wooden arrows when you could be shooting a recurve with carbon arrows?  More fun?  More challenging?  More traditional?  Just like it better?  All of the above?  Like I say, personal preference.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
I'm convinced the grip makes more of a difference than the limb type.  Try them both and your mileage may vary.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by LostNation_Larry:
I'm convinced the grip makes more of a difference than the limb type.  Try them both and your mileage may vary.
Exactly !!

I prefer longbows but that is just me.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doug in MN:

Originally posted by LostNation_Larry:
Exactly !!

I prefer longbows but that is just me. [/b]
I will agree with both of those
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
subjective stuff, and i quote ...

Longbow or recurve? Doesn't matter. Pick one that makes you happiest.

What is the difference between a recurve and a longbow? Here's the general consensus - if only the bowstring loops touch the limb nocks, it's a longbow - anything else is a recurve.

Recurves are very efficient stick bows that typically promote faster arrow speeds than longbows.

There are essentially two types of longbows - straight and hybrid.

"Straight" longbows have limbs that are basically straight or perhaps with a bit of overall tapered reflex. These are "classic" longbows that form a "D" shape when braced. Think: English longbow, Howard Hill longbow.

"Hybrid" longbows have both reflexed limb ends and deflexed risers. This improves the overall efficiency of the bow, for faster arrow speeds, while still imparting a large measure of bow "stability" during the shot. Mild r/d longbows typically have that "D" braced classic longbow limb look when braced. Aggressive r/d longbows will typically show some reflex near the limb tips when braced, and allow even faster arrow speeds. The milder r/d longbows are typically somewhat more stable than the more aggressive variety (aggressive hybrids are closer in performance and aesthetics to recurves).

Stick bows have a number of measured qualities, such as "stability" during and after the shot, "energy/speed" imparted to the arrow via the limbs, "noise" created during the shot, and "hand shock" after the arrow clears the riser.

Stability - the ability of the bow to remain as neutral as possible in the bow hand after the string is released.

Energy/speed - how much energy is imparted to the arrow as transmitted via the bowstring and bow limbs.

Noise - the decibel noise level after the string is released and as the arrow clears the riser; recurves typically have limb *slap*, since the bowstring makes contact with the reflexed ends of the limbs, longbows don't have that issue.

Hand shock - any amount of energy that is not transmitted to the arrow is absorbed by the bow limbs and riser, and is transmitted to the bow hand.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
What Rob said!    :bigsmyl:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thunderhorn25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
Hybred longbow, best of both worlds!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Thunderhorn25:
Hybred longbow, best of both worlds!
heheheh - yes, "high bred" indeed!  :thumbsup:

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Even though I like the looks of a longbow for a hybrid longbow, I just can't get used to the straight grip of a longbow. The grip feels uncomfortable to me and since the grip feels uncomfortable, I don't shoot longbows well. But, I love the grip of a recurve and this is why I think I shoot recurves so very well.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:
Even though I like the looks of a longbow for a hybrid longbow, I just can't get used to the straight grip of a longbow. The grip feels uncomfortable to me and since the grip feels uncomfortable, I don't shoot longbows well. But, I love the grip of a recurve and this is why I think I shoot recurves so very well.
there's a glut of hybrid longbows available with recurve handles.  couple your love of that handle with those quiet, forgiving longbow limbs and you might change yer mind.  then again, like lots of things in this world, it could just be a mental perception fixation.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I never get to the mechanics, efficiency, grip, forgiveness, smooth, quiet, etc.

For me it is 100% personal and therefore a very simple choice. I just prefer the look of curved limbs and meaty risers.   The Bear Super K I couldn't afford back in the late 1960's and early 70's got burned into my brain. The curved limbs and relatively woody riser are very nostalgic to me.

Some folks are obviously the exact opposite. They like light weight, stable limbs, straight grips, ease of silencing, and the even more retro look and feel of longbows.

I'm glad there is a diversity of desires otherwise wait times for my favorite bows would be even longer.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
I love the look of a longbow and that is what initially drew me back to traditional archery but I'm leaning now to a hybrid.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Personal choice for me,I started out shooting longbows and prefer them over recurves.Never really liked a recurve type grip.I do like 50's style recurves because they have more of a longbow type grip.

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
For years I used recurves because I thought longbows were harder to shoot but finally I tried a longbow and found I like and shoot them better than recurves.
michael schingeck

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
I pretty much suck equally with both.  :)  I too prefer hybrid longbows.  I like the recurve grip with the narrow elegant limbs of the longbow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©