3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Too heavy?  (Read 574 times)

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Too heavy?
« on: February 26, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
I've been messing with 2 diff aluminum arrows lately. One is 620gr (12.5gr/lb). The other is 550gr (11.2gr/lb)

I shoot about 49-50lbs. The 620 gr. arrow seems to loose alot of steam at about 20 yards. The 620gr bareshafted a little weak, so I cut them down some. Flight seemed to improve a little, but they still seem anemic at 20+

Now inside 20, they really wallop a bag target compared to the 550. The 550 has seems to have less punch, but carries it out to 30yards, my normal practice limit.

Does this observation stack up to anyone elses? I'm sure an arrow can get too heavy, but at what point?

B

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
Re: Arrow Too heavy?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
I think there is a point of diminishing returns. Like a rifle bullet. if you have a choice of 3 weights, 150,180,220 grains. The 150 starts off a lot faster but loses a lot of energy at 300 yards. The 220 is so heavy and stars so slow it needs a large trajectory and by 300 yards is used up, but is very good under 100 yards. The middle weight 180 starts with good velocity and retains more energy at longer ranges to be better than the other two. If 8-9gpp is standard, You have 11 and 12.5, I would choose the 11 giving you a little better trajectory to 30yds. If you keep your shots under 20, use the heavier shaft. Assuming they are both flying perfectly.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline coyote1956

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
50 # bow try for around 500 grn arrows   too heavy you get the rainbow flight you are observing at farther ranges and less wallop.
Go Afield wih bow and arrow  shoot and enjoy archery !!

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I shoot 50# at 29" my arrows finish out at 490 Grains,225 grains on the front end.They shoot flat out to 25 yards.I have had great success on deer and medium size hogs 200# or so.I shoot a shaving sharp 2 blade head with 1 3/16 in width.Hope this helps.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
It would obviously have a worse trajectory, but I don't think less momentum/energy at 30 yards (I'm sure someobdy can chime in with actual statistics). 550 is more than 10 gpi, and if you have the most confidence in that trajectory seems like it would be the right choice for hunting I'm assuming.

I'm interested in any answers for the same reason.  Picked up some POC arrows cheap, but 2 sets of weight (both 45-50). Shooting about 45# with 150 grain Interceptor one set is 480 and the other 520.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Fred Bear liked 10gpp and after 40years it works the best for me.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
I do like the trajectory of the lighter arrows. I think the extra speed and lighter overall weight help it stabilize better.

Its a 2018 easton, and I'm getting closer to choosing these as my official hunting arrows.

Only "problem" is that Im looking at newer bows right now that are in the same weight range. Technically it should shoot the same arrow as long as the bow is center cut like my current one.

B

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
If you feel it is too heavy-then it is too heavy. It is a personal preference thing.
The velocity numbers for 20 yds compared to initial, vary surprisingly little-don't remember 30 yds.
The difference between 620 and 550 gns is not very great; go with the one that flies better. IMO

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Best flight and the arrow with your most personal confidence will serve you best.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
I personally shoot for 10gr/lb.  I do not like the trajectory on heavy arrows.  

It all comes down to personal preference.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Thunderhorn25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
I shoot 47# and have found arrows in the 525-550 range fly really good out of my thunderhorn longbow

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
I can only add that I too, strive for the 10gr per pound of draw weight. Seems to work fine for me. I say go for what seems to shoot best for you and gives you the most confidence  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer2:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
I shoot 660 grains out of my #42 recurve so IMHO yours aren't too heavy at all. They drop pretty quickly past 25yds but if you get used to the trajectory it's no big deal.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
I think it depends a lot on how you hunt.  If you sit in a tree or blind all the time and know the ranges your critters will be, then I don't think the heavier arrow matters.

I don't do the above, in fact almost all my hunting involves sneaking around or spot and stalk and I seldom know the range until after the shot.  For that reason I like the advantage of a lighter arrow.  

I used to shoot Forgewoods at around 680 grains but have since gone to carbons at around 500.  If I was going after something like a buffalo, I might go heavy, but a 500 grain arrow out of a 63 pound Harrison has no trouble with penetration, even with my 26.5" draw.

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Well,

Still don't know for sure... Guess I'll have to shoot more to decide LOL!

I'm leaning more towards the heavier arrows. They should provide more options with a new bow in the future. I also mostly stand hunt, and do not have much issue with the trajectory.

I shot them side by side the other day and the heavier arrow did group better.

Thanks all for the input.

B

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
It's all what you want in your shot.  Heavier also will quiet your bow a lot.  I hunt thick stuff and just learn my arrow flight 3 to 25 yards.

I would however tend towards the 10 gpp since you are shooting 42#s.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Is there such a thing as too heavy? I had a 45# bow launching 900 grain arrows out to 50 yards rather acuratly. It all depends on whatyou like and want. I like penetration don't care about speed to much as long as it penetrates.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
The heavier arrow will actually have more retained energy then the lighter one.  But the trajectory will be greater.

You need to find a balance that meets your eye so that you can hit the spot with the combo.  Either arrow has sufficiant weight IMHO.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I tried a lot of differents weights, but 9,5 to 10 gpp works for me! A lighter arrow is too nervous...
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
This may be a strange analogy, but here goes !

I burn wood at my house and like to split it with a 8# maul and split smaller stuff with a ax. I put in the same amount of effort swinging both but the maul deffinatly hits harder and with the maul I can hit the exact same spot every time, but with the ax Im all over the place. So, the heavier maul splits wood better and Im much more accurate with it ! Just my 2 cent worth, if its worth that much !  :dunno:
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©