3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do string silencers REALLY make a difference?  (Read 583 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do string silencers REALLY make a difference?
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
They diffinitely work! Some work better than others. I'm a recurve guy, and most recurve's need them. Maybe not all, but most. JMHO! Jason

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the great input fellas. There are some good ideas here to experiment with as well. I have been shooting with the cat whiskers recently. I think that maybe I'll run an experiment similar to what nightwing and keefer are suggesting and go from there. I'll also try some different types of 'em. Smilinicon, you've got a very good point...the tone on the guitar string would definitely change...
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
TBM ran the tests about a year ago and wrote about it..........various materials, decibel meters-the whole nine yards-multi page etc. I'm sure you can search for it. There have been some tests on here too in the past.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
Animals,like humans,react faster to noise than to visuals.A deer "jumping" the string is a deer reacting to the sound of the bow.I don't think a bow can be too quiet.

Proper brace height with a string the bow likes and the minimal amount of silencer material to dull the sound down further,I think just makes sense.

I think deer react a lot more often to a sharper "twang" than a lower pitched,dull sounding thump.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
My favorite, of those I've tried are Cat Whiskers. But from time to time someone writes they degrade performance more than other types. On some bows I've simply kept, for now, what the Bowyer or previous owner has on the string. So I have one with wool balls, Bojack, String Leaches, and Cat Whiskers. I did take the Spiders off my PAX when I arrived --I just have a hard time accepting four of those things aren't too much "slow down" on my string.

I traded for a very nice Checkmate several weeks ago (since traded it again). It came with these yarn-like strips, I think they are called "Tarantulas"?  That bow was whisper quiet!  When I have to make my self listen for the bow's sound instead of noticing it right off, I know I have a pretty quiet set-up.

I like that video test idea mentioned above!

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
To keep it short. Definitely yes.

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
I'll put "tarantulas" on the list to experiment with. Thanks again everyone.
  :archer2:

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
If they even work a little, i want to use them. If they can help keep an animal from reacting to my shot then I want them.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
I've never owned a bow that didn't benefit from some type and amount of string silencers.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
What ever you do, don't put anything on the string till you have tuned the bow, arrow, string and brace height. Then what ever you do add, keep it light and make sure you put them at the 1/4 and 1/3 node locations..

I have found tying in a few small rubber bands at those points does as mush good as fur balls etc.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Earl E. Nov...mber:
What ever you do, don't put anything on the string till you have tuned the bow, arrow, string and brace height. Then what ever you do add, keep it light and make sure you put them at the 1/4 and 1/3 node locations..

I have found tying in a few small rubber bands at those points does as mush good as fur balls etc.
Interesting! ...do you have any pics that you could share?

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Without my beaver silencers I can hear a definite twang from the string, it's a reverb twang that resonates up my spine and makes my skin crawl.
But with a 500+ grain woodie and a set of beaver silencers I hear nothing but a very low and almost nonexistent thwud.....
So yes, they do make a difference at least for me anyway, and it's a real significant difference in noise reduction.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
Sorry I don't do the photo thing.., What I do is just split the string, and tie in a rubber band. Pull it tight and nip off the end loop.Two or three bands at each location is all I use.. Being cheap I just use the rubber bands that come on the newspaper.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
Yes, string silencers do quiet a bow.  I've found I don't need more than 2 on any bow I own.  As suggested, I tune first, then install the silencers.  To find the best location, I put on two rubber bands (by looping them through themselves), then pluck the string and move them around until they dampen the noise the most.  I then mark those two locations and install my silencer of choice.  I like the beaver fur on the longbow but prefer string leaches on the Black Widow recurve.  Your results may vary.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
This got me to thinking a bit.

I mess around with weighing arrow components all the time.  I decided to weigh some silencers.

I was surprised how much some of these things weigh, especially compared to arrow parts.

-Carbon Express Cat Whiskers (pair): 50 grains
-Widow Spiders-4: 53 grains
-Sims String Leaches-2: 40 grains

Of course I intend to continue using some of these as needed to quiet the bow.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
When I get my new bowstring for my 37# bow, I'm going to weigh my home made yarn string puffs and see how much they weigh compared to catwhiskers.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Yes they do,I use the rubber cat-wiskers and they work good for me.
michael schingeck

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Of course they are essential on a string,also bows very quiet like the old Bear are much noiser without.Just work a little bit on the position,like other guys have already said.The kind you wanna use is most of the time just a personal preference.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
On those wool silencers I am making (puffs) the thread is constantly breaking after a few shots. Is there a super thread out there or a better backing material than I am not using?

Thanks

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
For yarn puffs that last, get Lion Brand Yarn "Wool-Ease" Thick & Quick. It's 80% acrylic and 20% lamb's wool. It also comes in different colors too. It cost me $6.49 for a 108 yard bundle and I get mine from my local Hobby Lobby store.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©