3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: simmons shark ?  (Read 145 times)

Offline j_haus

• Trad Bowhunter
simmons shark ?
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
I met Dave, the owner of Simmons at the Iowa deer Classic this weekend. Heck of a nice guy and very helpful.  Long story short, he sold me some 160gr sharks for my upcoming turkey season.  I brought them home and started working the edge with my Lansky sharpener and have a good edge on them, but just feel I can get them a little sharper.  Are there any tricks you guys can recommend?
Mark 8:36 "What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?"
Diamondback Venom II 42@26
You call, we haul, that's all!

Offline 3undr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: simmons shark ?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
i used to work with Dave when he lived here in Ohio and talk with him once or twice a week since he moved out west. Dave tells me that it takes a round file or ceramic to really get them sharp. I know he sells a sharpener that works. Give Dave a call and he'll be glad to help you better than i can

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
I use a gatco guide with a diamond Jewelstick. GO from course to fine and finish on a leather strop. They will get VERY sharp. Key is to get that burr on BOTH sides.   BILL

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
I use the sharpening system he sells it is easy and works on all 2 blade heads.LCH

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
I ended up stropping mine they shaved
The older I get the better I was

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
I am the worst sharpener in the world. I have had every sharpening gizzmo ever sold. Last year I bought some Simmons Land Sharks after reading several of Chris Surtees' posts on their performance. I got my Lansky sharpener dusted off and went at the new heads. Started with the course then the medium and finished with the fine. I took my time one head at a time and much to my surprise they got really sharp. I finished each one up up a ceramic stick to really clean up the burr.

For touch up after having them in my quiver for a while I use the AccuSharp Sharpener found at 3 Rivers. I touch them up again with the ceramic stick and they are good to go.

They shoot great and leave a very nice blood trail.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline j_haus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. Not much of a sharpening guru, I think I just need to try and strop them to finish the edge.  I've never stropped anything before, do I need to go into the cutting edge or away?
Mark 8:36 "What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?"
Diamondback Venom II 42@26
You call, we haul, that's all!

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Away

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©