3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A crazy hog hunt and an unexpected guest  (Read 1927 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A crazy hog hunt and an unexpected guest
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Congrats on the 1st coyote big guy  :readit:     :coffee

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
After caping my yote and working into the wind again (I now smelled like a human and a coyote), I picked my way back towards the road. This was no small task as I had gotten turned around. I picked up my compass, got my heading and worked back to the road. I met some visitors along the way and put a stalk on them. With no deer tag on hand I counted coup and let the band move along in bow range.

The hunt ended day 1 with my pick up at the road at dark, a good meal of smoked wild pig from another hunters kill from a week ago, and stories (cocktails firmly planted in hand) of the day.

My friend Brock had bumped a bedded hog and got a shot with his Centaur but missed. The other Tradhunter Paul stalked pigs but got cut off by the marsh and had to give up the track. All in all, a good day for a bunch of pig hunting rookies  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
cool story and congratulations on the Yote. I can appreciate your enthusiasm taking a coyote especially with a bow, I have hunted yote alot but with a gun, they aren't called wiley for nothing.

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Well done Mike, get all them yotes out of the woods and pigs got to go also.  Good story, sounds like a great day sir.  Well DONE!!
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Cool story!    :thumbsup:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Thank you Tracy...that was some kind of cool I tell ya  :)

Day 2 and we were at it early. The guide's right hand man had us an awesome breakfast made. Too much food really, but a big 'ol boy like me needs his calories. With my drop off point approaching the quad stopped abruptly. Paul the guide said something I had wanted to hear for a long time: BIG BOAR! I slid off the quad and checked the wind. I had a marginal wind and slipped into the timber. The big 'ol boar just rooted and strutted like a stud horse in the timber. When I finally got glass on him he was at 100 yards and in no hurry. He had not seen us on the old logging road and after sending Paul on his way with a wide-eyed nod I started after the boar. I learned later that this was one of the biggest boars that Paul had ever seen in 25 years of hunting pigs   :scared:  

Although in no hurry these pigs walk FAST! Root, root, walk, walk. For me it was all I could do to not run at him or run away. The pace of step, step, glass was killing me, and I think I didn't push it fast enough. He simply walked away from me in the thick stuff. At one point he was only 60 yards or so, and I could see his cutters with my naked eye. I lost him to the thick river cane and managed to snap a last ditch picture.

I cut his track and remembered the wallow in the direction he was walking. I circled to the wind and sat the wallow awhile, walked a mile or so looking for pigs with no success and returned to the wallow for an hour or so until dark. It was like trying to make Boo Radley come out. Nothing. Darkness. But what a stinkin' day that was thinking there was a boar that big nearby. He had big feet anyway  :)  

Mike Davenport

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Pig hunting and a coyote hunt broke out!! That is outstanding!  A trophy indeed with trad gear.  :thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Dang! Im gonna have to throw you in my hero pile if you keep this business up.Thats a pretty yote. I saw your bow on the stalker site, shes fine too.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
After returning to the cabin and meeting with my other trad brothers we decided that with only a half-day left we would try baying some hogs in the morning. They too had a great hunt, both seeing pigs the night before. There is a reason these seasoned hog hunters say that a wild pig is the smartest critter in the woods...plus they are just tough!

After a steak the size of my head and all the fixins' (and a cocktail or two) we declared bayed hogs were gonna be hard, too. The guide was nervous about sending some greenhorns in on an alert pig with a stickbow. What happens is that a curr dog tracks the pig or pigs and bays them, barking loudly and circling them at 20 feet or so. Many times the pigs break and run for miles and it is a hell of a chase. Under normal cicumstances the pig is "held" by a pit bull and then either caught/transported live or killed. In our case there would be no "hold". We would try to slide in there and put an arrow in a pig with the bayed dog either called or comfortably out of the way. The only added thing was that the guide wanted to bring a hold dog to within a couple hundred yards in case we got in trouble. Fair enough I think...

A curr...our friend on this trip and one heck of a fearless old boy.

A "hold" dog...just in case a pig tried to un-zip us.

Mike Davenport

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Great story. I`ve never killed a yote and want to bad. I have shot a few warning shots at them though...Congrats,RC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:     :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Mike,
Are you related to Les Davenport by chance?  He's a writer friend of mine from southern IL.  Just curious.
justin ammons

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
Awesome, bro.

Thanks

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
After a quad ride through rougher country than my wife ever needs to know about, and after getting thrown off the darn thing (I was a little overly enthusiastic on the throttle on a hill) the other curr got nosy. Soon after he was cut loose he bayed. 3 trad bowhunters, a guide, and a pit-bull went up the hill. We came down changed men I tell ya.

The black-mouthed curr...fearless.

The above pictured curr had a hog bayed alright...he had 12 sows and a giant boar. We snuck to within 40 yards and asked the guide what to do. I'll never forget the look and what he said "Nothin. You go in there or I let this dog go and the dogs will get killed and we will get it." OK I thought. I'm good with that. Head-high river cane, a peed off boar hog and a bunch of angry sows...I was looking for a tree to climb but inch thick river cane is no good for a dude 6'3", 230. Just like that they broke and lucky for us the boar exited the opposite side of the stage. The curr was relentless and picked a fat sow out. The chase was on and this time a solo pig was bayed...the rest broke free and I can say that I was happy about that
  :pray:
Mike Davenport

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Cool! It is just amazing what those dogs are willing to do to seal the deal at the end! That little Pit Bull looks like he has tangled with a Boar before.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
Well my two friends were to take the first shots. I hope that they will chime in with their own details, but to keep the story going I will fill you in. Too many cooks spoil a good thing, so I stayed back with the hold dog and the guide. I had mixed feelings on this but I knew it was right. I didn't want to shoot but I wanted to be there with my pals. After a few minutes the curr returns and I hear a war hoop. One sow down and what a big 'ol girl. They have better photos to share at some point but I will never forget them dragging that first sow out of that bottom  :)

The bay happened again a short time after and once again a sow was down. I again held back with the back-up waiting my turn. The load the boys were carrying says it all.

We crossed creeks, saw-tooth patches, and river-cane that swallows you up. It was as primal and fun as I think is legal. We were bloodied and sore (at least I was. I got a couple of cracked ribs for my silly quad stunt) but we had smiles all around.

Mike Davenport

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Niiice!,thanks for sharing these great pics
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Awesome story and pics!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Finally after getting a final bay I was up. Once, twice, thrice I approached the sow with an arrow nocked and each time she'd pop her jaws and run. I made the mistake of saying something and the curr thought I was calling him off. The old sow took this as a sign and dashed by me...close. The brave old dog took after her again and looked back at me with a look of disgust. He had done his job 3 times and all 3 times I dropped the ball. Finally he bayed her against a step ledge over the Little Missouri River. I slipped in with an arrow nocked and found a little window. Full draw, anchor, then launch...the arrow was perfect up until it clipped a branch and rocketed harmlessly into the river. With that the pig jumped into the river and swam the 100 yards across to a place we could not go. The curr went in after her and we called him back. I watched as the sow climbed the ledge and the dog swam back to us...she deserved that freedom. I am almost glad I mmmmmmissed...I said almost  :)

I will never be the same after this hunt. I respect those dogs so much, and pigs more. For me it ended right. My boys got pigs, I killed my own trophy, I stalked a boar as big as a voltzwagen, and I got to witness a 200 pound pig swim a river like Michael Phelps. You go girl...see you next year   :campfire:  

Mike Davenport

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
thanks for sharing . It's real fun making great memories.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©