3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To quiver or not to quiver that' the question...  (Read 478 times)

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
To quiver or not to quiver that' the question...
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Looks like an Elk hunt is in my future for this fall.I'm not a big fan of bow quivers but I'm thinking it may be the way to go for the hike'n and such in the high country......any thoughts or opinions??   thanks,   :wavey:     ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: To quiver or not to quiver that' the question...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Ron,

Hows it going? Lucky you. I may be headed to Colorado for a Elk chase as well this fall. I spent the last 6 years in Colorado before moving here last year. All the elk chasing I did was with a side quiver. Didnt get in my way at all. Im not a fan of the bow quiver, but the single arrow quiver that black widow offers and a side quiver looks like a good set up. I used the German ridge possibles/quiver that 3R sells, and the GFA quiver while I was up there. When I used the GFA, I was also carrying a Bison Gear pack. When I was using the possibles combo, thats all I carried. Really dont need much in a elk hunt but the bare necessities. I left everything else at the spike camp.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
I think I'm going to use the small Badlands Diablo day pack,I thought maybe a bow quiver would be just one less thing to mess with while sneaking around!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
I spent two decades hating a bow quiver and trying all the side quivers, back quivers and shiver quivers.

When a bull comes in screaming his head off I want looking for another arrow to be idiot (ie me) proof.

Bow quivers are the only choice for me for hiking lots of country.  That's one of the simple beauties of hunting with a trad bow and bow quiver.  2 hours before sun up when I roll out of my bivy tired and sleepy I throw on my pack, put on my boots and pick up my bow.

YMMV, but even though I cussed them forever, the alternatives don't work for me.

Good luck in elk country.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Simplicity. that's what I was thinking......

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Ron let me know what you find out and fill me in   :readit:  I could use some tips

Just sayin that's all   :bigsmyl:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Bring LOTS of arrows. Even if you hunt with a bow quiver, keep a good stash of arrows in another enclosure with the horses or back at camp.
David M. Conroy

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
IMHO a bow quiver is like a side-car on a motorcycle.  Handy, but it degrades the ride.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
IMHO a bow quiver is like a side-car on a motorcycle.  Handy, but it degrades the ride.
That's a good one !!!!
Gerardo Rodriguez

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
I have ridden Bikes for 41 years...18 with a side car......depends who is with you, just like hunting.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
I should of stated in the beginning of this post....I have several bow quivers, 3 different GFA style and a couple of Baker side quivers. Just want to get some opinions on what you guys have used or think is the best!

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
if you shoot good with them then i would use one. i hate using a side quiver in the woods. bugs me.  just got my bow quiver in and im liking it so far.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
I shoot with a quiver.  It's all a preference, some people like it some don't.  I shoot short recurves and hybrids and the added weight is good.

Check out the Kanati Slim Jim (you will have to call Kanati, they are not on the website).  You won't know it's there.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
It really comes down to personal preference.

I really like bow quivers, to me the extra weight helps stabilize the bow and I actually shoot better.

But with that being said, when I took my selfbow to Alaska, I used a side quiver, but it ended up being strapped to my Schuh pack.  It also gets in the way when wearing my Pack Idaho pack, (now Bison Gear).

The same goes with back quivers, just do not work well while wearing any type of hunting pack.

But I can see the benefits of having a detached quiver maybe? while stand hunting.  Either tree or ground blind.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
After chasing elk a bit I wouldn't dream of anything but a bow quiver. when it comes time to drop your pack and ditch your shoes to make a final sneak, you want your arrows close and to carry as little as possible

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
I second what Skipmaster said above!  I too fought the idea of a bow quiver for many years, but after my experiences during my last two elk seasons with either Arrowmaster (which I love for other hunting) or Catquivers I must say that it will be bow quiver only while chasing elk from now on...I'm really liking the EFA quiver I recently put on my go to Morrison Dakota.

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline yamaharider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
I use a bow quiver too.  As you know,  one should practice with a full quiver on the bow at all times. When hunting, especially elk, you will cover alot of terrian and the situation and area can change so quickly.  Bow quiver keeps it relatively simple.
PSAV

"The older I get, the better I was"

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
I have always hated bow quivers and have always used hip/side quivers for hunting.  However, I think I am going to give the Slim Jim a try this year.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »
I hunted elk 23 years always with my bow quiver on,never had a problem,fast to go to pass through the willow to cross the creeks,nothing to loose to rattle to search or reach on the fast move.I can't immagine to have arrow somewhere else than next to my bow.I carry 3 or 4 arrows only but I have plenty of other at camp.In the wilderness you don't have time  or chances to dry them or fix them.I just change arrows often if needed.My shooting and accuracy are not effected either by the quiver.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 05:38:00 AM »
I hate bow quivers, but I hate the alternatives more!  I love to hunt with a "Hill" style bow, but don't much any more because they aren't a good match to a bow quiver.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©