3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To quiver or not to quiver that' the question...  (Read 477 times)

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: To quiver or not to quiver that' the question...
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
All good input folks I think I'll try it for a bit and see if I can get familiar with it. That final stalk situation makes sense to me!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
I read all these posts and wonder why no one is concerned with having to draw on an animal with a big blob of a bow ?
I haven't hunted elk, but have taken my share of whitetails, and their eyesight is amazing, they catch the smallest of movement, I want my bow to be as streamlined and as small and stick like looking as possible. Don't want to be waving a mass of arrows when I draw. I will keep fighting to find the best back or side quiver to prevent that. Plus I see a lot of guys practicing at 3d's with back quivers because they want to have the cool traditional look, but then they hunt with a bow quiver, practice with what you are gonna use hunting.
I will be watching this post for ideas, don't get me wrong, I think a bow quiver is the most convienant.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
I resisted the bow quiver for awhile, but when I started putting some serious time in the woods I realized it was the best option. I haven't tried the Safarituff quiver yet but I am tempted. It looks like you can cinch it up tight to your back so it isn't dangling. It doesn't look very traditional but I assume you're not trying to make a fashion statement.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Most of the time we hunt in dense cover,for still hunting and walking I prefer a cat quiver when I'm spotted or calling I like the bow quiver.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
I can recommend highly the practice of a one-arrow bow quiver.  I still hunt with this arrangement and a side quiver.  That gives me one ready shot and a bunch quickly available.

And the bow is as naked as God intended when you take the shot.    ;)  

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Like many of you, I did not like the idea of a bow quiver. The first one that I put on (years ago) was heavy on the bow and caused the bow to shoot to the left.

About 6 years ago I ran into a guy who was making a bow quiver, but wanted to sell his dies and some material. This quiver was a little bitty 3 arrow quiver and it had some flaws but it caught my eye. We bought his dies and have been making improvements and many new models since. One of the things that sets our (EFA) quivers apart is that they are made as lightweight as posssible so as not to have a detrimental effect on how the bow shoots or feels in hand.

A proper bow quiver will help to improve the accuracy of most bows, especially lightweight high performance bows like the Shrews, Strikers, Morrisons, Beeler, etc. They can also quiet down some noisy bows.

Last night I put a quiver on a bow that shoots darned good to see if I could get a little more out of it. (It was an EFA 4 arrow Navajo I Jumbo I with the "totem" and "wing" attachments.) Shooting 4 arrow rounds, I noticed first of all that there was a little less vibration in the bow. Also, even though the point of impact was the same, the groups were a little tighter. This bow was a Pinnacle riser with Black Max limbs.

To conclude, we make side, back, and pocket quivers also, but our bow quivers are my favorite for hunting, 3-D, or stump shooting.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
i've never chased elk, but that sure would be a dream hunt - lucky you, ron!  i never liked bow quivers 'til i strapped on an ultra light efa, now i'm hooked.  the efa works just fine on any stick bow, including my hills.  that said, i also love using a safari tuff duiker - also extremely light.  

now, for me, the choice difference 'tween the two above quivers is the number of arrows needed to carry - 5 for the efa and up to 10 with the duiker, though typically 8 - and whether or not a bow quiver will affect the balance and feel of a particular stick bow.

at least i have two viable choices.  a win-win situation, imo.  :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I have hunted elk for lots of years and a side quiver slides around, moves and swings in the way when you bend or stoop, and seems to get hung up in the thick stuff.  

IMO there is nothing like a bow quiver that has some sort of angle device for sweeping the arrows back into the bow.  Quick and easy to get an arrow, and really helps stabalize the bow.

Also if you drop your pack to do a final stalk or get into position for a setup, you can easily just drop the pack, grab the bow and your arrows are exactly where you left them.....attached to the bow.

The key IMO is to have the arrows swept back into the profile of the bow, that makes the bow and arrows a "unit" and you can manuver it though thick stuff easier than your pack sometimes.  

Again as stated - ymmv
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by yamaharider:
I use a bow quiver too.  As you know,  one should practice with a full quiver on the bow at all times. When hunting, especially elk, you will cover alot of terrian and the situation and area can change so quickly.  Bow quiver keeps it relatively simple.
I second what Barry said, you must practice with the setup you intend to hunt with, especailly if you decide on a bow quiver.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
I've hunted elk many a years.  You have to be able to cover ground quick in the thick stuff.  Bow quiver is the only option IMO.  I tried a hip quiver once, it was awful.  Unlike others, I shoot all year without the bow quiver.  Throw it on for hunting season (EFA is my preference) and it just adds a little stability, doesn't effect my shooting at all.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
I can recommend highly the practice of a one-arrow bow quiver.  I still hunt with this arrangement and a side quiver.  That gives me one ready shot and a bunch quickly available.

And the bow is as naked as God intended when you take the shot.     ;)    
Charlie,
   What is the name of that 1 arrow quiver ?  I like that, best of all worlds, arrow is handy, but not all the junk in the trunk !
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
just went stump shooting wth my new bigjim quiver in the thick woods i hunt it. i will never use a hip quiver for it again. no more getting caught on half the stuff.  besides breaking 2 arrows it was a good fun day cause i didnt have to fight with my side quiver
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
The sheath is a Solo Stalker from Jack Bower.  The gripper is 1/2 of a Selway PiggyBacker with a 1/8" hole drilled through it for a cord tie.

Three Rivers sells a similar broadhead sheath.

I stole the idea 100% from Dean Torges.

Alaska Bowhunting Supply used to sell a pre-made one-arrow arrangement.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
I made a similar one that I used for several years, it worked well!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
A bow quiver is tough to beat when you have to cover ground
Sl

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Bow quiver for me!!!!!  :D

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Gee Mr. Dill ....wonder why....lol! I have one of your strap ons, they do work well. Been eye balling that Slim Jim.......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©