3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ostrich Plumes?  (Read 270 times)

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
Ostrich Plumes?
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Besides just being an outright cool video, period...At about 52 seconds into this YouTube video, it looks like the guy is using helical ostrich plumes or something.

I'd like to hear from someone that might know what they really are, and if anyone uses the same.  Looks pretty cool, at least in that video.

Archer\\'s Paradox Video
Steve

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ostrich Plumes?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
perhaps he'll chime in I believe he is a memeber here.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
That would be cool.
Steve

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Please note. . what he did is what happens to all of our arrows when we release, well, with the hopeful exception of the last shot or two.

That gyration is archers paradox.  Notice a couple other things as well.  

First, the arrow does not begin to spin until it is well forward of the bow.  Left or right fletch, it does not spin into the bow or away from it.

Second, notice that as it hits a solid target (doesn't have to be a brick wall, just something that rapidly arrests forward movement), it seems to wave back and forth again.  

This is what some are attributing to the front slowing down and the back wanting to continue on, and a proposed reason why FOC and EFOC are good things.  One. .  to keep the front pulling more and also to lighten the back and keep it from reacting as violently.  

Almost like affecting the spine for the shot by adding weight forward, only in reverse concept !

I am not smart enough to argue for or against, but that makes sense to me, and watching the video really hits home.
ChuckC

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
It is a great video.  But please forgive me, Chuck.  I know what FOC is but what is EFOC?

Ok...Extreme Forward of Center...But where is the cutoff between FOC and EFOC?
Steve

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
That shot at 2:05 is a weak-spined mamma jamma.

I don't know about plumes, I'm guessing thats just what a flu-flu looks like with high speed photography.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Yeah...if that doesn't cause a bit of target....

As for flu-flu's, the fletching of those arrows are limp in the target on some later shots.  I guess that's why I was wondering if those were plumes.
Steve

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steven_CO:
Yeah...if that doesn't cause a bit of target....

As for flu-flu's, the fletching of those arrows are limp in the target on some later shots.  I guess that's why I was wondering if those were plumes.
It might be fun to try some floppy feathers...
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
If you havn't seen his carp from a kayak clip it's really neat. Another where he builds a flute.
Neat stuff
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
Could t be Marabou feathers ?
I use them when tying flies for my flyfishing , and they are also very "fluffy"

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Without explanation, the video title is another misuse of the term Arher's paradox.  The flexing of the arrow around the bow riser is just that, flexing.  It is not archer's paradox, or arrow paradox.

A dictional definition of paradox is "something that is contrary to expectation." Archer's paradox is a term originally coined back in the 30s-40s. (Or maybe earlier, by Elmer, or was it Asham?) Regardless, it describes the phenomenon of the arrow flying true to the target when, contrary to expectation, it appeared that the arrow, because it pointed way off center when nocked (bows weren't centercut then) would fly off-center as well.  Thus, the paradox, the arrow from appearance should fly off center, but it flew to the center.  We know now that it does so because a properly spined arrow flexes around the riser to go straight to the target.  It does not "paradox" around the riser.

Don't know if the guy intentionally shot those extremely underspined arrows for greater visual effect, or if he just didn't know any better.  Regardless,  a bit on the dangerous side.    :nono:

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doug S:
If you havn't seen his carp from a kayak clip it's really neat. Another where he builds a flute.
Neat stuff
Actually, I have.  Pretty good shooting from the sitting position no-less.
Steve

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Margly:
Could t be Marabou feathers ?
I use them when tying flies for my flyfishing , and they are also very "fluffy"

Margly
Could be come to think of it.  I know where I can get those easy enough.  I'd like to try it.
Steve

Offline pergradus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
REALLY cool video, thanks for posting!

Originally posted by Orion:

Don't know if the guy intentionally shot those extremely underspined arrows for greater visual effect, or if he just didn't know any better.  Regardless,  a bit on the dangerous side.     :nono:  
You can see when he switches to the underspined arrows he puts extra protection on his bowhand, so I'm sure he knew they might break and purposely used the underspined ones.

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »

Don't know if the guy intentionally shot those extremely underspined arrows for greater visual effect, or if he just didn't know any better.  Regardless,  a bit on the dangerous side.     :nono:  
I gotta go with pergradus on this one.  The armour on the hand is pretty good give-away.  But you are correct about it being dangerous.  

A guy that knew better talked my son when he was a youngster getting into archery into trying a wooden arrow out of a compound at a store no-less. And yes, the guy should have been kicked from pillar to post. My son was able to remove the wood slivers from his arm in time. Pieces of the arrow destroyed their built-in chronograph though.  He still twitches a little when we talk about it....And that was the first thing he pointed out about this video as well.
Steve

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
Steven:  I wasn't referring to the last shot only.  The arrows were severely underspined on most of the shots shown.

Regarding shooting wood out of a compound, there's no problem with doing that, AS LONG AS THE WOOD IS PROPERLY SPINED TO THE BOW.  In your son's case, the guy at the bow shop obviously didn't know what he was doing.  Probably gave your son an extremely underspined arrow.  Given that it was a compound store, he probably had junk for wood arrows as well.  It's not a seller for them.

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Steven:  I wasn't referring to the last shot only.  The arrows were severely underspined on most of the shots shown.

Regarding shooting wood out of a compound, there's no problem with doing that, AS LONG AS THE WOOD IS PROPERLY SPINED TO THE BOW.  In your son's case, the guy at the bow shop obviously didn't know what he was doing.  Probably gave your son an extremely underspined arrow.  Given that it was a compound store, he probably had junk for wood arrows as well.  It's not a seller for them.
Ah... understood.  Yononindo, who is registered on this site, I found out, was definitely pushing the envelope.  

You are probably right about the bow shop guy.  It was a bigger sporting goods store actually that doesn't specialize in just bows.
Steve

Offline GUYZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
YONONINDO is in fact a nember on this site.I have seen some of his arrows on several of his post here
and he is using 3 flecht flu-flu style and a rabbit
fur tracer near the nock end.

He is a horse trainer and lives somewhere in europe.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF FRED BEAR GUIDE OUR ARROWS.

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the update Guyzer.
Steve

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
That is one of my favorite videos, watched it again, and again. Thanks!
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©