3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why are the charts so useless?  (Read 232 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Why are the charts so useless?
« on: June 13, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
On Easton's site when I pich recurve bow, 125gr point, 44-48#'s and a 28" arrow it gives me - 2212, 2213, 2115, 2018 spines ranging from .460 to .505.

I just happen to have some 2213's cut to 28" and just tried them. I shoot left handed. Flight is terrible with them hitting right on my target and a bareshaft flys so bad it missed the "block" to the right all together. These are spined at .460. I also have some 2013's some 27" and some 28" I tried them. The 28" bareshafted great. These arrows have a spine of .610 but fly great, which is comparable to a 1916 with a spine of .623
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why are the charts so useless?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
The standard Easton charts are not designed for traditional recurves.  They are slanted towards FITA and Olympic style bows that are much more centershot than the average traditonal bow.  More centershot requires a stiffer spine.  Easton sells arrows worldwide and FITA/Olympic bows are what the majority of archers outside of the USA shoot.  We are a small minority.  If you follow the charts for the Easton Legacy or the older charts like those posted in the Shooters Forum here on TG you will find them to be more accurate.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
The easton charts are based on 14" centers, ya got to use 13" centers when spining for traditional bows. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
O.L. Adcock and Foxfire Archery have very accurate spine charts for us...

Offline Kevin Lawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
If you use the Easton chart drop down two boxes.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
TGMM

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
Hey Shawn...What do you mean by 14" center And 13" centers? are you talking centerline for a spine tester?  Thanks....Kirk

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Easton Charts have been around for a long time and have been updated numerous times.  Early on we never had so many choices as we do now.  

Every bow is different in terms of its construct.  The power stroke matters, the amount of center shot matters, the draw weight matters, your draw length matters,  heck, the diameter of the shaft can change the amount of technical center shot you achieve...as your description might indicate.  Pretty complex to just put it down into a few boxes.
ChuckC

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
The Easton charts have been horribly overspined for thirty years.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
When the weight is hung on the shaft the supports are at 28"s apart and than the weight is hung in between(14"s) with trad the supports are at 26"s and the weight is hung or suspended at 13"s. Thus a carbon for example done eastons way would spines say 55#s the trad way it would spine 70+#s. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
I should say it is a bit more complicated than that, but that is a good simple explaination. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Their charts are probably a calculated marketing ploy. If you follow the charts recommendation you will buy at least 2 or three dozen shafts you can't use before you see the light and buy shafts that are right for your bow. I know I did just this back in the old days.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©