3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wieght tubes and spine effects  (Read 312 times)

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
wieght tubes and spine effects
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
do they really much the arrow alot more stiff?   i just order some 3 gpi one from 3 rivers to try. i use a 125gr head right now and heard the tubes will make the arrow more stiff. so im thinking maybe i shouold try moving up to a 150gr tip. any idea?  kinda hope it will cause alot of the heads i want to try are around that wieght.  guess theres only one real way to know though
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: wieght tubes and spine effects
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
I don't know about affect on spine,but when I bought them,there was so much difference from tube to tube,that I threw them out.I tried to cut some shorter to make up for difference in weights and ended up with some full length and some 5" shorter.I had nocks blowing out on some and got so frustrated that they all were thrown out.

If you get them,weigh them.I now put the weight up front or not at all.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »
well that not good to hear. think they would have better qaulity control with something like this.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:14:00 AM »
I have had a different experience than JimB. I have been using them for about 3 years in my gold tips. I cut them full length and crimp them with pliers every 3" and then glue them in. I have not noticed any difference in spine although people say there is. Recently I made up some arrows without them and prefer the lighter arrow as I have better speed and trajectory. I was shooting 600gn out of a 49# bow. If I ever get to elk hunt I'll use the weighted arrows for sure.

Good luck

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
Just did a dozen GT 5575's with the 3 GPI tubes. I shoot 175 gr. field points, and 170 gr. broad heads. My bow is getting refinished and shaved down right now to reduce pounds from 61 @ 28 to 56 @ 28. I will let you know how the arrows with weight tubes shoot for me.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
I do use them in my Beman MFX carbons in both 500s and 600s. I have the 3R tubes in 3, 5 and 8 grain weights. Mainly I use the 3 gr tubes in the MFX 600s @ 600 gr total with a  175 gr up front and the 5 gr tubes in the MFX 500s @ 700 gr total with 200gr up front.  These are my hunting arrows.  Yes tubes in my carbons do affect the spine so I have target points from 100 gr up too 300 gr and tune with bare shafts.  I also shoot bows ranging from 50# @ 28" up too 60# @ 28".  Use full length tubes and crimp them a little on the end that I insert in first, this keep then in place and I can remove when I want. I keep a list for what flies best in each bow.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
I'm new to all this trad stuff and had thought of going to weight tubes but I decided to just use heavier arrows and points. My Carbon Express Heritage 350's at 30.5" with 100g inserts, and 160g head come in at just over 600g which is heavy enough for me.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
I tried them and didn't like them at all. They blew out nocks all the time and were sometimes noisy. I went to brass inserts and heavy points and found out the benefits of EFOC arrows in penetration results.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
im aready running 29" safts 100 gr inserts and a 125 tip and thats spined right for my bow. if i addded any more up front the aarrows would be way to weak.  idk ill have to order a field tip test kit from 3 rivers and mess around.  think next time i order arrows i might go up in to a stiffer arrow and just add alot of wieght up front.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Been using em for four years or so now.  I can't find any difference out of my 57 pounder tuning with weight tubes or without.  It's possible they add some stiffness, but a heavier arrow has to be stiffer anyway, all else being equal.

As for nocks blowing out, I've glued my nocks in forever.  I've seen fellas at shoots carrying a pocket full of spares, but I don't get it.  Glue is cheap, and I don't want nocks moving on me anyway.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
I have actually had the opposite experience, the added weight to the full length decreased the spine of my arrow.  I stop using them now play more with he weight up front to get the right spine and high FOC.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by ALDO:
I have actually had the opposite experience, the added weight to the full length decreased the spine of my arrow.  I stop using them now play more with he weight up front to get the right spine and high FOC.
Same here.  Heavier arrows always seem to act a bit weaker.  I don't use store bought tubes.  I make my own so I get what I want.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
I just don't think that adding tons and tons of weight up front is a good idea. I know lots of guys here advocate it, but I don't agree with it. 300 or 400 grains up front... cmon!

Mind you, I don't have a factual based FOC scientific argument one way or another to back up my opinion. Just doesn't seem 'right' to me as far as common sense goes IMO.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385:
I just don't think that adding tons and tons of weight up front is a good idea. I know lots of guys here advocate it, but I don't agree with it. 300 or 400 grains up front... cmon!

Mind you, I don't have a factual based FOC scientific argument one way or another to back up my opinion. Just doesn't seem 'right' to me as far as common sense goes IMO.
i have 225 gr up front right now to get my arrows spined rightfor my set up. if you go with a heavier spined arrow and load the front up to get it to spine right for your set up i dont think theres any issues.  read about why high FOC is better but cant remember right now

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
I've used the 3gpi for about 3 years now in full length GT 35/55's with 145gr head and they shoot good out of my 50# Kodiak recurve, my 55# Montana long bow and my 51# Horne's long bow drawing 29".

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Molson:

Originally posted by ALDO:
Same here.  Heavier arrows always seem to act a bit weaker.  I don't use store bought tubes.  I make my own so I get what I want. [/b]
this is what I found as well, they make the arrow act weaker (added weight), I have crimped the nock end and cut the lenght exact and never had one move. I don't use them anymore

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I don't overdue the front end on my arrows, I run 250grain, this is all adapters and heads.  I get about a 24% foc and they seem to really work.  Get pass throughs on a majority of shots can't ask for much more.  
ALDO
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
wow 250grain, and I thought my 175 grain combo was alot
Leon Stewart 3 piece TD "Slammer" 62" 54lbs
Black Widow PCHX 60" 53 lbs

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
I have a short draw so this give me a total arrow weight of 490grains.  I have had really good luck with this set up and penetration on whitetails.  My arrows are only 26.5" to back of head.
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
How nice it is to have so many options to meet one's personal preferences.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©