3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howdy from Arkansas  (Read 525 times)

Offline abowhunr

• Trad Bowhunter
Howdy from Arkansas
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Hello from Arkansas.  I am a long time archer and bowhunter, but have not shot a traditional bow since a teenager and I am now pushing 48.  I have been considering getting a recurve bow for a few years now and think that this year will be the year.  Any advice on what I should be looking to get is appreciated.  I have been looking through the classifieds and it is a bit overwhelming. I generally shoot my compounds around 65 pounds and have a 30 inch draw on those.  I definitely plan on hunting up to whitetails using it.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howdy from Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
I would recommend something in the 50 lb range to get reaquainted with Trad shooting. Anything higher and your form might suffer. Your draw will more likely be an inch shorter than with your compound. With a 29" draw you might need a 60 to 62 inch recurve to avoid stacking, although some bows handle longer draws better tan others withot stacking.
THe main thing is to get out and enjoy shooting. It is so much more fun shooting Trad!
Welcome to our Forum as well!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
Welcome to tradgang!

Our ranks continue to grow and you are another important member.

Thanks for joining up!

I hope you enjoy your journey along with the rest of us.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Shoot as many as you can before you choose a bow.  Develop proper form and begin a liftime of enjoyment.

BTW, trad bow are like no other.  I just started about a year ago, and I have NEVER had a fellow trad bow shooter refuse to allow me to shoot his bow, offer advise, or just become a new friend.  Great faternity they are.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline whitetail_downer100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
45 to 50 lbs 60" or longer would be a good starting point.  Your draw will likely be between 28 and 29" and most likely fall at 28.5" at full draw.  Shoots as many as you can get your hands on because one or in most cases many will 'just feel right'.  Enjoy and welcome!
-Captain Logan A. Giger-
USMC
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... but sometimes thats ok"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Welcome! Lots of fun in your future.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
where in Ark. are you? if you're close to Pea Ridge we should get together & you can shoot sll of mine.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Welcome, I grewup in NC Arkansas! I would say start with traditional bow around 45-48lbs@28". with your 29" draw that will put you pulling about 48-51lbs range. Quite abit different pulling 50# on a trad a rig VS a wheelie! And as already stated shoot as many different bows you can before you purchase. The right GRIP makes all the different in the world.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
I live in pope county.  If you are close, shoot me a PM, I have a couple longbows you can shoot.  There is a Trad shoot coming up at the local range.  You would enjoy that.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Welcome, I have another suggestion that if I had it to do all over again I would invest in some one on one with someone who knew the way.  Either find some one to guide you or In your case you have within your state an excellence instructor by the name of Ricky Welch. He has won many state championships and IBO'S. I would look into taken his classes that he give, the knowledge and tips he could give would set you light years ahead. I started without any help and developed some pretty bad habits in my shooting form and still effects me to this day.  I knew of Mr. Welch when I lived in Arkansas (Vilonia) but did not know at that time if he taught shooting etc...  Not saying you can't learn on your own because many have, just that the resource is availible and I think it would be of great benifit  :readit:  The main thing is don't overbow yourself and keep it fun  :jumper:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline TWarrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
IMHO most new trad. archers start with a bow thats way to heavy.. the key word is STARTER BOW dont forget its not a macho man/who pulls the most race. get a nice used bow in the 38 to 45 pound range and by hunting season you will be in the 48 to 53 range and hitting what you aim at..Form first the weight will come later..We as Trad. Hunters owe the animals we hunt more than just flinging a arrow at them. But thats just my 2cents..

Offline abowhunr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  The supply of traditional gear in our nearby shops is pretty dismal to say the least.  About the only thing I have seen is a Hoyt recurve before.  I live near to the Fort Smith region.  I do plan on attending Rick Welch's school once I get my gear.  I would love to be able to pick up one of his bows too, but they don't appear to hardly ever come up for sale and the waiting list puts me too far into the summer to learn to shoot before archery season.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Welcome to the fold.
It's hard to tell someone what to buy.  This is a very in dividual sport.
I would recommend going to a local shoot, and talking with the trad shooters there.
I'm sure they will be more thatn willing to help, and would probably let you shoot some of their equipment.
Again welcome, and good luck on your journey.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
north, west, east or south of fort smith?

Offline abowhunr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
South about 20 minutes

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
It's nice to have you here!  Look forward to getting to know you.  Don't be shy, jump in and enjoy the ride.
   :campfire:

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Hello welcom to the camp fire. Here is a thread that might help.

http://www.tradgang.com/docs/newbies.html
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Here is a link to a trad archery club in Arkansas that posted for a state shoot last June (or some June).  It lists a member here you could pm for more info and some other contact info.  Welcome and enjoy this site.  There is a lot of knowledge here and good people willing to share.  I am sure Rob will chime in here with a link to his site for trad newbies.  It is a great time.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Welcome... pick a bow to grow, lite is rite...any bow that your comfortable with is best to develope your form.Name brand or maker not important at this stage, their are many of good ones,when your ready to move up in weight,your personal preference is what i suggest.More or less like buying a pair of shoes, good luck...
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Hello........and WELCOME Greg !!!!! How have you been ??? I haven't talked to you for a long time. Sending you a PM.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©