3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad for life  (Read 543 times)

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad for life
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Its been since last fall that I have hunted with or shot my wheelie bow.  I have always shot trad bows along side the wheelie, but I got to where I wasnt enjoying the "modern" day equipment as much as I use too. Last June I got back into trad VERY heavy and with my stickbows its like an addiction, I have to make myself put them down and are lookin forward to the next 3D shoot on the weekend.

Here's my struggle, elk huntin is my passion as far as bowhuntin is concerned.  I only get to go out west once a year for about 10 days.  Of the elk I've killed with a bow I havent shot one (trad close), but I'm wanting to finally make this transition over to trad for good.
My buddies and I have talked abut this and I just have to face the fact when that 300in bull is at 40yds I may not have the best chance at bringing him home.  Deer, hogs and turkey I'm not so much worried about, since my shots are usually under 25yds most of the time.
I'm shootin my stickbow better than ever and my wheelie is up for sale. If I can get rid of it, things will get better!!
Any of you guys still on the fence as I am?
Black Widow PMA X 46#@30"

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad for life
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Go ahead a jump off the fence on the trad side sam ! Its about the hunt anyway and success will be that much sweeter, but you already know that !

Ill support you buddy !  :D
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
Well, it depends on your goals. If the kill is the most important, shoot the wheels. If "How" you make a kill is more important, as in personal satisfaction/fullfillment, go Trad. As you have already taken Elk with wheels, I assume you want to 'up' the challenge.
Do a search for Elk and see what Trad folks are taking with stick bows. I believe you just need a confidence boost and that will do it. The 'Hunt' is the thing.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
I switch over about 6 years ago
Made a decision to sell all wheel bow stuff at that time.
I can tell you that its going to be harder and the definition of a "Trophy"
will change.
But IMO its the best move I ever made.
The love I have for Bowhunting is in second place for the low of trad bowhunting.
Ive heard that Elk are easier to get trad bow close to (than whitetail)
But Ive never hunted them so I cant say for sure.
Slickhead

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Never been on the fence - and I do have friends who use compounds for elk who hunt all else with stickbows for the reasons you cite. But I also know folks who start shooting out to 50 yards starting July 1 to prep for elk. I also know folks who use sight pins for 40, 50, 60, 70 only when they hunt Caribou along with their instinctive method for the usual 10 to 25 yard shots. So there are all kinds of ways to approach this. Personally I more often end up too close - even with elk - so I just stay stickbow only for better or worse.
<><
<-------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
Its been since last fall that I have hunted with or shot my wheelie bow.
For me it's been since 1984 that I have not hunted with a "wheelie bow".    :biglaugh:  

But then, I haven't got an elk in that time, either.  'Course, no one in NY has so I'm not alone there.  I'm happy to say the whitetail no longer just laugh outright at me.

I was actually much less of a hazard to them with the compound.  I could hit a tennis ball at 45 yards but when it came to deer I would only find a way to miss at much longer distances.  Wrong pin, noisy draw, arrow fell off rest, deer too close so I was afraid to draw.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
I have found that for sure the kill is much sweeter with trad. And no, the kill is not what its all about. But I work SOOO hard at elk hunting when I'm out there, cause to me there's nothin like it!

Might also give me a reason to buy another set of limbs for my Widow that are heavier!!haha  I knew I could make this work!!!

All jokes aside, I enjoy trad soo much I look forward to making it a full time commitment.

Offline canoeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Shoot what you are comfortable with and enjoy.  I shoot traditional because I enjoy it.  I love the beauty and simplicity of the equipment.  I also take one or two deer with a muzzleloader most seasons.  We usually count on eating 2 or 3 deer a year and I'm not able to provide that with traditional equipment at this time.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
i know exactly what you are talking about. i finally put my compound down 3 years ago and i havent picked it up since. it is a addiction! that first year i had to watch animals at 30 yards + just walk by. it was hard. but i did it. and i missed alot! i still miss. i missed the same deer 3 times in 3 minutes this year!!but i have taken several deer a  now with my long bow and recurve... but not as many back when i was wheelin!. i will only kill about 4-5 a year. i was killing around 10 with a coumpound. thinning does! but ill tell you its much more gratifying to kill 3 deer with a stick bow than 10 with a compound! you can do!

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I switched in back to traditional bows in 1989 and never regreated the move.
michael schingeck

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
I had 2 compounds (one old one from from the early 90's and a fairly new one). Both have been sold within the past several months. Those wheelie days are ones I wouldn't trade, but I'm also happy to be rid of them from here on out! I don't have anything against compounds (obviously thats how I got started) but I just enjoy shooting trad so much more.

If you're like me, you'll be thrilled to see that compound on its way out the door. (especially with fresh cash in your hand!)
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Welcome! you wont go back.

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by gobblegrunter:

If you're like me, you'll be thrilled to see that compound on its way out the door. (especially with fresh cash in your hand!)
I heard that!! That fresh cash could turn into new limbs or......another stickbow!!  :bigsmyl:

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
I have a BigJim TC on order that was funded (mostly) by the 2 sold compounds...great feeling!  :bigsmyl:
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Time to go for it and enjoy it
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Not too many fence sitters here.  Most if us have been in your shoes and luckily have found our way home.  Hang out and catch the trad buzz!  You'll never be the same....promise!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
I live right here in elk country! Haven't gotten one yet, nonetheless a deer. Have never been anything but traditional. Refuse to do it any other way. It'll happen, just like it will for me. But, got to get out there and just do it!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
all i shoot now is my long bows. i just dont really have fun with my compound as much. usually i get back into compounds when 3d season roles around. back wven then i think the longbow will make it to more shoots then my compound will.

idk. im taking my beller long bow out for turkey this season and plan on hunting deer with my hybrid at least a few times in the fall (still taking the compound as well.

at this point i dont want to give up compounds for deer.  maybe in a few more year though.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Go ahead...u wont regret it...you will get better and kill everything.The sense of accomplishment in the end will be greater than any of your past success,,,GOOD LUCK>>>
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
Switched about 5 years ago, and never looked back.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©