3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad for life  (Read 544 times)

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad for life
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
no fence here, switched in 1994 and have never looked back.  What a journey!

Can one ever truly learn to ride a bike until the training wheels come off?
Inquiring minds.......

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
I know just how ya'll feel.  I'm about to sell the Bowtech and it will be trad for life!  Before I picked up the longbow this past year I found myself sitting at the camp more than hunting.  Now it's like I have just started.  Hunting is more chalenging once again, but in the end the choice is yours.  I think as long as you are enjoying hunting, I don't care if you kill them with a rock.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Thanks fellas! I feel my shooting is very good and know I just have to wait on the right shot oppertunity for them big critters.  I setup close anyhow for everything, including elk if possible. Elk is the only thing I struggle with the switch really, but how sweeeeet it'll be if I get to stick one with my tradbows!!
The plus side will be carrying a super light weight bow in the mountains and overall it'll make me a better hunter!
Black Widow PMA X 46#@30"

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
I guess this is a common road to cross for a lot of folks. I am at the point where I'm going to forgo all other hunting weapons and stay strictly with a stickbow. I value my hunts much, much more when I have a beautifully crafted bow in my hands. It becomes a very personal quest that we don't want to see end.

I can see how the large expenditure of a out of state hunt can put added pressure, on some folks, to produce results. If I were headed out west where a long shot may present itself, you can bet your last dollar I'll be practicing distance shots in preparing myself in case the opportunity presents itself. I often take 70-100 yard shots while stump shooting. There is no way I would attempt such things on live game, I just love to see the arrow fly and find it's mark. Some of those shots are the sweetest there is.

Enjoy your journey and do whatever you feel is right. Having 100% confidence in your equipment and your ability, 100% of the time, is what it's all about. Except nothing less.

Regards!
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Soooo many bows so little time,lets get started...Now
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
I'll join you on the fence.

I'm on the fence for similar reasons. Its not all about the kill. BUT, my hunting time is limited, my hunting locations are mediocre, and I'm just plain wussy about squandering a chance to bring a deer home to the table.

I'd actaully sell my 2009 compound, but I'd catch hell from my wife. If I could get rid of it, it would force me to hunt the way I really want to deep down inside...

My best "On the fence" regards,

Brian

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
It's a good thing to have passion. I switch back to trad a couple years ago and will not go back. Even when I did shoot with wheels I didn't fit the mold,no sights,shoot feathers with fingers,added leather to bow ect..
As far as the elk go don't worry it will happen. Most of my elk shoots are closes with trad gear but if I put wheels on I count on my equipment to much and my shoots will be longer. My biggest bull was a close moving shoot as he blasted out of a wallow. If I had never shoot trad I probably not made that shoot. Good luck and stick with it.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
I made the commitment this year and hope to be ready for October. I just started shooting trad a month ago. The only thing that would stop me is if I felt I may wound an animal this fall. If Im on every shot at 15 yds then that will be my limit but if Im inconsistent at any yardage 15 or under I'll have to go with the compound. My pride is not worth wounding a deer. But I have been shooting and practicing everyday and am confident that come fall I should be ready to hunt with my longbow. I've set this goal and I intend to do what ever it takes to accomplish it. I am also like you in that I cant quit shooting. I found a love for archery again and I dont intend to look back.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »
My last elk hunt is one of the reasons i sold my compound.. I missed a 5x5 at 53 yards.. Bowhunting for me is about getting close, so when i got home i sold my compound ..I will head out west again in september this time with stickbow in hand.. I have no regrets about selling the compound and i will never go back...
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
You're right, I'm gonna stick with my stick bow and just limit my distance. Right now I am very confident at 12 yds. Im sure by fall i should be able to achieve 20.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline AKP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
I finally put the compound down for good last year.  Hunted with a recurve all season for the first time.  Killed a pig, but missed a small buck.  I did kill a deer back in '08 with my recurve.  

I'd like to sell my old compound, but there doesn't seem to be much of a market for used ones anymore.  Also, its an '03 and is probably considered obsolete now.  I like how the trad bows are never considered obsolete.  Much more enjoyable shooting the recurve.
LH Martin Hunter 45#@28
LH Chek-mate Hunter II 44#@28
LH Maddog Recurve 45#@28
LH Black Widow PCH 46#@28

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by bowkevin:
You're right, I'm gonna stick with my stick bow and just limit my distance. Right now I am very confident at 12 yds. Im sure by fall i should be able to achieve 20.
bowkevin, I started shooting 3d last summer with my recurve and went from hoping not to miss a target to now shooting high scores. the best practice you will find for hunting IMO,plus you cant beat the trad shooters company at a 3d  :D  . last hunting season I limited myself to about 20yds. Some shots at local shoots are out to 30yds and thats ok at a non moving target for me. But this year I hope to extend it to 25yds for hunting. Lord willing, he will make that happen.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
I started hunting with selfbows 21 years ago. I promass you STEP OFF THE FENCE it WILL make your skills to be a better hunter for sure and not relie on your equipment as much. I have friend that take bulls with there selfbows all the time.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
I fell off the fence this past fall. Sold the compound and all the goodies with it except a few arrows. I did keep some great memories from the wheelie thou some deer and a 398 on 3d in a shoot but I just didn't like it anymore.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Sam, I don't know if you've ever seen Jim Burnworth (spelling) on like outdoor channel or whatever .. I think the show is western extreme, but he almost always uses the same strategy. Have a hunting buddy with you calling, but from like 50 yards behind the shooters position. call the elk right past the shooter who has stopped calling by the time the elk is nearly in view. Seems like a perfect strategy for the trad hunter.

Anyway, like Charlie P. said, we don't get to hunt elk out here in NY but I've used a similar setup on turkeys (easier cause u cant get winded) and it works well to get CLOSE.

I also haven't picked up my compound in months, this season i'm going strictly trad. That is unless I can't seal the deal by the last day of deer season in which case the wheelie will be filling the freezer.

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Well, I guess I switched 2 yrs ago.I had been playing around with a trad bow to see if I liked it again. Started with one years back and went compound. Hit a nice 8 point with my compound. Tracked him down only to find he needed another. Well, when it came down to it I started shooting the compound instictively, completly forgot about sights.. Three arrows later I finally hit him. Don't think I can go back now. The other problem was during practice with the compound, after awhile I would start letting go of the release. Ouch!! Guess I am more instinc
tive  than i thought.JG

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Never wanted to pick up a compound and have never shot one. I started with longbow and now shoot both a longbow and recurve. I will tell you though that once a year I see a nice buck on public land i hunt and everytime except once they are on the trail that is 35 yards away. LOL But I would'nt trade they feeling I get when I take game with my traditional equipment.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Awesome inspiration fellas!  Guess there were a few more like me than I expected.lol  

LittleBen, Thats exactly how I/we hunt elk when I go out west. A caller behind you 75-100yds makes a world of difference on being successful!! it lets you slip in there close if possible and lets that bull come past ya with him not expecting a thing.  Gotta keep them occupied while ya put the mojo on him!!haha

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Hey Sam once you get close to your next elk and have the stick bow in hand you will be so glad. But you wont get there by sitting on the fence. i got off it in 1985. I still haven't killed an elk , but i have killed moose , caribou, turkeys and lots of deer with a stick. Ain't nothing like having a screaming bull at 20 yards, 15 yards  then 10 yards and you are still waiting for a good shot. Your confidence will soar and you become a much better hunter.  go for it dude!
Make a life, not a living

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Switched a bit over 2.5 years ago.  Through trad I've met great people, made wonderful friendships, had fantastic experiences much beyond what I ever expected, and really opened a different world in archery that I love being part of.

I haven't shot my compound in over a year, and even then it was under duress  :D  .  Now my sister's boyfriend loves to shoot it as he's just getting into archery, so I keep it around.  

I really can't ever see myself going back to compounds, unless it meant completely leaving archery - even then I'd be kicking and screaming for a stick and string.

Enjoy the journey!
Support the sport!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©