3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bohning Blazer/Killer Vanes?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Tyler Carlson

• Trad Bowhunter
Bohning Blazer/Killer Vanes?
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
I was wondering if any of you guys use bohning's blazer or killer vanes with your recurves/longbows and what you think of them. I shoot off of a bear weatherrest, but it sounds like the blazers might be too stiff even for shooting with a weatherrest. Thanks for your help.
"The desert's quiet and Cleveland's cold..."

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bohning Blazer/Killer Vanes?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Tyler... years ago I used the Bohning vanes with my recurves. At the time they were the softest most forgiving vane on the market and I liked them a lot.

But that's been a lot of years ago and I don't know anything about what they are producing these days.

With vanes for recurve bows and Bear Weather rests (what I used) soft and forgiving are the name of the game.

Good luck.  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
Ive never used them with my recurves and longbow bows but I do with my wheels and they are by far the toughest vane I've ever seen.  Im going to be making a set for my recurve once I put an a stick on rest.  I have yet to refletch an arrow I put blazers on.  Unless I just got board with a color.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
The blazers are very stiff so I don't think they would work very well on a trad bow. I can't think of any advantage to using them over traditional vanes for your purpose. They are tough however!

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
The only way I think it would work is the 60 120 4 fletch at least I think thats what it is.  I have to say if it does work good it will still look wierd with blazers in my bow quiver lol so im sure they wont be with the stick for long.  I still have to find out though   :knothead:

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »
I sell a lot for the compound shooters and they work well. I did have a guy setup a bow  ( recurve) with 4 fletch and they worked ok. He did go back to the bohning killer vanes in 4 inch and just 3 fletch off his bow that also had a bear weather rest. I also have had a lot of problems with the blazer vanes coming off, but no problems with the killer vanes....
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
Have you looked at the Bi Delta Rain Vane? I read in a recent thread about guys shooting them off the shelf. If they can do that you should be able to shoot them of a rest. Check them out at 3 Rivers.

* I should add that my brother shoots Blazers out of his compound and I would think they would be way too stiff. In fact that is why he uses them with his whisker bisquit rest.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
The Blazers work very well, but are very stiff and fairly high profile.  Very popular with compound shooters using drop aways and shoot through type rests.  I think they would be a pain with a Bear Weather rest.

The regular Bohning vanes are still quite soft and flexible, just like Charlie mentioned.  They are also a steal, about $5 for 100.  For a Bear rest I'd try those first.  Put a lot of helical on them and they'll still give good control.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline mtnbike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
I shoot 4" x 4 setup 60x120 helical with Marco vanes chopped to a 4" shield cut off a Weather rest, as do others in the club here. Everyones setup works with no problems. Arrows are fletched with nocks just pressed on. When finished they are glued and set for best clearance.
opportunityisnowhere....
56" Big Jims TC  [email protected]!
56" Big Jims Thunderchild 55@28
60" Orig Schafer/Windauer 56@28
60" Silvertip 64@28
58" Homepro/Schafer limbs 60@28
62" Bears' Paw Longbow 63@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©