3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lemon drops, mountain tops, and bears.  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lemon drops, mountain tops, and bears.
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
I love these stories...thanks for sharing
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
Curtis to Shaun, "Man, you just gotta get a faster bow!"

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Gees, I have a meeting to go to but I can't stop reading and gawking at the pictures, this is great!

David

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
That's what I'm waiting for!  :thumbsup:   A stop at Vance's is worth the drive all by itself!
Any pictures of the food?  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
No food pics from Vance's but we did stop at the grocery store. Here Charlie cathces up with a local warden he remembered from his days living in this community. I normally just buy the bright shinny stuff at eye level, but all I got in this store was a sack of pecan sandies and a case of squirrel hunters' neck and this was only the deer/antelope wall. You should have seen the rest of the place. Ah, the west...

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
Hey Shaun. Based on that one pic, if you miss your meat you can still go home with a pie!  :bigsmyl:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
Best General Store I've ever been in.  My wife and I discovered it once on a trip to WY before I even knew Vance. I think this is the place where Cabela's got the idea - a guy could wander around in there for a long time!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
Yea Whip, and they have a nice bench out front where the views get soooooo much better.    :readit:

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
Littlefeather,
What kind of heads were you using for those ground squirrels?
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Things have sure changed around Wyoming as far as bear hunting is concerned. I'd made a half assed attempt to understand the regulations once before and gave it up.... they didn't apply to me anyway and were much too complicated for this old Missouri boy.

It didn't keep me from letting my mind wander back to those secret haunts of days gone by where I'd laid my plans for a bear rug, thick and ebony colored.

I'd been successful at it too... though opposite to what I'd thought in the beginning, the "black" phase bear had been tougher to get than I'd reckoned.

Heck, I even held a state record for a short time... biggest bear taken with archery equipment. I think it lasted about a year and someone blew it away.

The time to head into Idaho came around all too fast and I can tell you right now, I was tempted to stay right where I was.

Ground squirrels and rockchuck hunting sounded like all the fun this old man could want anyway. I'm just partial to Wyoming, I guess.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Yea Charlie, Wyoming is special and when you got GOOD friends there it'e all the more special. I've only been there a few times and it's always tough to leave. Now lets hear some more of the story.  :pray:    :pray:
Untested ideas are not facts.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
I suppose I'd have stayed if I didn't have a healthy deposit on the bear hunt and if my friends weren't counting on me to go. It was only with a little reluctance that I loaded up in the rig with Shaun and we headed out for different mountains and new adventures.

Idaho, like many of the mountain states, is diverse in it's topography. It's sure not all potato country and we saw lots of wheat growing in fields of immense proportion.

The rocks were different as well. They looked almost black in many areas, making me think that maybe they held iron deposits. I may never know, but it was food for thought on the tedious road north.

At last we hove into Kamiah (Kam-ee-eye)where rooms awaited at the Lewis and Clark Motel. A lot of the history of this country has to do with the exploits of the explorers.

Shaun was sure we'd gotten the same room they'd had on their journey, but I doubted it.    :D    

We'd meet the guys that we'd spend the week in camp with at the motel and they all proved to be fine companions.

PV from Mass. and Ty Green and his son Ty... don't think that didn't make for a little confusion from time to time.

The two Ty's were rifle hunting and Paul V. was a dedicated traditional bowhunter and bowyer of no mean skill.
We all got along just fine and shared many laughs around the camp house.

Ty senior is a very gifted banjo player from way back and we often sat on the camp porch while he played a host of great music.... it sure did fit the scene.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
I smell bear tenderloins on someone's breath
   :campfire:    :archer:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Man..they even rolled out the red carpet for your guys..thats good treatment..   :bigsmyl:

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
Simply put..........Thank you   I needed this right now.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
It was real hard to leave Vance and Sandra's place. A couple more days and I could have sprouted roots there. Even the Texican was starting to look like he belonged in the mountains of Wyoming.

On the drive to bear camp there is a stretch from Masoula down to Kamiah on Hwy 12 over the Lolo pass to where the road follows the Lochsa River. Some of the pretiest fly fishing and rafting water you ever laid eyes on. Had to stop the convoy for a look and a picture.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »
dont stop there...its still early  :campfire:
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©