3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lemon drops, mountain tops, and bears.  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lemon drops, mountain tops, and bears.
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
We're not done yet are we??  Another installment for morning wake up?  :coffee:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
As the last day of the hunt came around I thought of how the hunt had gone.
It wasn't really any different than most of the other hunts I'd been on... the bears treated me with the usual contempt that I'd come to expect.

Just like other camps I'd made new friends to last a lifetime and you can't have too many of those.

I'd gotten off into a different kind of mountains and gained great respect for the country I was hunting. That just goes to show how different it all really is.
I know it really opened up my eyes. The fertility and recyling of the old and the the new springing forth with a vigor that defies description.

For my parting shot the guides had put there heads together and placed me at a bait they called the gravel pile bait.

Curtis had sat it the day before and had seen nothing, but everyone seemed positive it was due to be hit... I couln't argue with that. It was as good a looking spot as I had seen.

This time I was off down the side of the mountain about 15 yards from the bait. Gary had walked me in and showed me where to expect the bear to come from. "Yep", I thought to myself, "a natural".

As the hours till dark turned to minutes I found that I really didn't care if I got a bear or not. Sure it would have been nice to shoot one, but I'd given it a good try and that's just as important.

Across the ridge I could hear a pine squirrel calling in that irritated chatter they do when they see something they don't like.
After a bit another sounded off down the ridge further. Then again the one right over the ridge sounded off.

I imagined the bear was around and checking things out. The wind was in my favor so I wasn't worried about that. Only time was my enemy here.

A small stick breaking off to my left got my attention as a cow elk walked nervously below me.

She never really looked at me and I wondered if it was the bear that kept her muscles rippling under a sleek tawny hide.
Soon she had walked out of my life.

I kept looking down the ridge expecting, even trying to will the bear to appear, but it was not to be.

As the space between shadows blended together and the mountain was inveloped by the darkness, I folded my stool and trudged away from the bait. It was over now and I knew it.

When I got out to the road I decided that since it would take Gary a while to get to me from where he would pick up Shaun, I'd just walk on down the road and meet them along the way.

I don't know what made me take off in the direction I did. I knew better, but wasn't thinking I guess.
It was the wrong way.

I guess I put on a mile or two before tiring and setting up my stool in the road to wait. It seemed a very long time until finally lights of a vehicle appeared around the bend in the road.

Gary had gotten to my pickup point and not seeing me waiting there had walked in to help me with what he was sure would be a dead bear.

Of course I wasn't there, but what he found was interesting to say the least... the bait had been hit.
I hadn't been gone a half an hour and the bear had made it's appearance.

Well, that figures! The bear had probably waited for me to leave, knowing full well I was there. They do that sometimes.

I had to laugh a little inside. The bears had won another one... and I didn't care a bit. It had been a great trip and I'd go again in a heart beat.

Because like the Mick sang in the song, "You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometime, you might find... you get what you need!

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
:D  

Went away for the weekend and got to read the whole thing at one sitting!  Looks like a good time was had by all!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »
a successful hunt is not measured by the kill, but rather by the experience and from this story i can tell you guys had more than a successful hunt. great story and thanks for sharing.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
What a great story and awesome pictures!  Thanks guys that is for sure a classic!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
It was tough, but I waited all through yesterday so I could read this one this morning....thank you Charlie. Always a pleasure to hear your stories, sure am sorry I didn't get to share this adventure with you guys first hand.

Save a day in your schedule for ground squirrels and rockchucks at Vance's, I got a small game hankerin that's gone too long unfulfilled!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Thank You Sirs  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

It's always such a pleasure to sit around this fire  :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
Nice Charlie!
Enjoyed every word!   :clapper:    :clapper:  

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Long Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
Got to read the whole thing today...Cudos Charlie for inspiring me to keep on my quest for a black bear tradstyle!  :thumbsup:
Derek W.

"I never thought missing could be so much fun!"       -Me

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
THANKS!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
I missed not being able to be hunting bears this spring, (first time not to go in last 5 years) and your posts remind me of what I am missing.  I resolve to not let next spring pass without finding my way to bear camp.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »
Great story, and times around the  :thumbsup:  Brent

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
Thanx fellas...that was a great hunt you took us on    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Ain`t it something how you watch your backtrail when you walk away from a bear bait when darkness falls? Sometimes you just KNOW they are waiting for you to leave.

Thanks for sharing your stories guys. I wish you all many happy returns. Bowhunting forever!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Savoring!!!!!!!.......I've made it through page 5....back to work!  Thanks again for sharing your adventures......I'll finish in the AM with my 1st cup of    :coffee:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
Bonebuster... I didn't hunt from a tree at all on this trip, but always have in the past. Nothing like turning around and climbing down that tree with the dark growing around you while thinking about that bear that you just know is waiting at the bottom with his mouth open. LOL

Just part of the fun of bear hunting.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
Even though I failed to tag a bear while hunting with Weitas Creek Outfitters, I would highly recommend Gary Haight and his crew of guides.

They busted their butts to make the hunt all that it could be.

Food and accomodations were excellent and the country was awesome.

Ted Fry of Raptor Archery guides for Gary and can be contacted for more information about the hunt.

Ted is always a fine campmate and knowledeable about all game not to mention his vast knowledge of archery's many facets. He also gives first class service through his archery retail business...   Raptor Archery
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©