3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand hunting w/68" longbow????  (Read 1351 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Treestand hunting w/68" longbow????
« on: March 04, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Have any of you treestand hunted with a 68"er? How tough is if in a portable "Hang on" style stand? Shots toward the back of the stand would be challenging, I would guess.

Offline SteveT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand hunting w/68" longbow????
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
I have hunted with 70" quite often, out of my climbing stands, as well as my ladders and i really dont have much trouble, i just make sure not to have any limbs close above, i can stand and shoot out of the sides very easily , i think if you practice with a friend on the ground to retrieve arrows for you will find that its not bad at all...SteveT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Thanks, Steve. I appreciate your thoughts and advice!

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
i have issues at times with a 62" longbow up a tree, let alone with a 70" hill.    :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Good point, Rob!  :banghead:    :biglaugh:

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
I hunt with 64" to 70" recurves. Hunted all over US and Canada, shoot out of every species of tree you can think of. Its all how you set yourself up. You'll do fine, just take shots pre season to make sure all is well. I like a lot of cover and still do fine with the longer bows.
David M. Conroy

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I shoot 62" bows.  One year in MT I climbed up in a tree.  Hadn't been there long when a 7x7 bull came in.  It went to water where I hadn't thought they would.  Gave me a 20 yard slightly quartering away shot.

Upon release, my bow hand jumped, I shot over the bull by a good 10 feet and it jumped in the pond and started swimming circles, and then left via the far shore.  

Had just whacked a small limb w/tip of the top bow limb.

Only saving thing was that although the bull was 7x7, I don't think he would have scored more than 260.

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
I use a 68" Hill bow out of my tree stands. With the ladder stand, no problem, but with the climber, I have to be able to stand up before I shoot, if the shot is to the side. If I try and shoot sitting down, the string will come back into the side rail when I draw. If the shot is out in front, I can shoot sitting. It's about the same with my shorter bows to though. With my hang on stand, I can shoot sitting or standing.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
I use either a tripod or ladder stands. I don't feel comfortable with the "hang on". Makes me think I have to hang on to be safe. Neither the ladder nor the tripod have offered me any problems with the 66" to 68" Hills that I hunt with.
Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
I've shot a few deer from a hang-on stand with a 66" Stykbow while sitting in a big white pine.I just have to cant almost horizontal at times.I make sure everything around me is clear before shooting.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
68-70" Hills no problem shooting from either ladder or climbing stands as long as I'm standing. Always check &/or remove limb obstacles.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
Of course the longer the bow the less room you have in any treestand.  But the same is true on the ground as well.  You eventually get use to the longer length and accomodate it without thinking about it.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone. I really appreciate it!

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
I hunt with a 64" recurve and a 66" longbow.  I don't have any real concerns.  Besides the tree limb clearance, how tall you are, and the length of your arms (and how you much can bend) could be factors in your use of a longer bow.

David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
I remember when I first shot with a 64in.longbow on a tree stand,it felt weird but after practicing sessions I figured it out and became comfortable doing it.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
Hunting with longer bows just means you have to be a little picky about the tree or be prepared to do some trimming to get everything out of the way. If I think I will even get close to a limb if gets cut.

Offline 2/327

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Switched last season from a 52" Kodiac Magnum to a 62" Hill Cheetah. Took some getting use to but works fine from my ladder stand.

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
I would think one major consideration (when using any length longbow or recurve for that matter) would be how many obstructions your particular stand has built into it. (i.e. some of the climbers and hang-ons that have the bar across the front could probably make things quite cumbersome) You might want a completely open stand with seat only...
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
I would agree with Rob, I have issues with my 64" out of a tree stand. I would not consider 70" a treestand bow (for me). I shoot relatively upright and at very close shots with steep angles, I hit my lower leg with the string sometimes.  Remember, shifting your feet when a deer zigs instead zags is not always an option.  Also shooting behind the stand is tougher.  I like 58" recurves for stand hunting and save my longbow for ground hunting elk.  My 2 cents.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
I appreciate all the insight as I will be hunting with a 64" longbow this season for the first time. A buddy of mine hunts with a 66" longbow from a treestand and has no trouble filling his tags each year.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©