3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground hunting bowstands  (Read 320 times)

Offline nel

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground hunting bowstands
« on: June 14, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
Does anybody have some kind of arrangement figured out for holding your bow in an upright or canted "ready" position when hunting off the ground or from some kind of a ground blind?

I remember seeing a picture of Fred Bear once where it looked like he had a couple of forked sticks or something holding his bow up...and it got me thinking...

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground hunting bowstands
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
usually my ground blinds incorporate a tree or 2 or a blow down, I use a small screw in bow hook like ya would in a treestand, screw it in where your bow can have a arrow nocked and ready. usually the arrow will lay parallel to the blind meaning the bow handle is pointing to one side not straight away like in a tree stand..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
The big boys always show up when I'm not holding my bow, and only present a quick shot oppertunity. I like to hold my bow as much as I can. If I do let go, I put the upper tip in a crook of a sappling that is next to me or use the rough bark of an Oak to do the holding. That way it is still standing in  front of my so I can grab it.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Im with Jerry,on thisn.Use the Bowstands,on the end of yer arms.I dont know about you,but when im out there,im out there ta hunt.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
I still have one of old Bear Bow holders from the early 60's still works great.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
I like to hold my bow also,I use somthing natural to hold my bow when Rattling,usualy some sticks,or Ill trim a branch to hang it in. Mike  :jumper:
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
bear1336 do you have a photo of that bow holder. i like to hold my bow as well, but i also like to glass a lot and when i have binos up it's hard holding them steady if i have one hand on the bow.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
I have mine in my hand most of the time. I find that when hunting on terra firma you often don't see your game until it has already entered the "circle of death". (Someone else coined that phrase. I thought it worked.)

Then it's too late to be doing a lot of grabbin' for your stuff!  "[dntthnk]"

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
I bought one of those steel screw in the ground bow holders last year and never took it out. Just one more thing I had to carry. I also have a Muzzy belt loop bow holder that cradles the handle. I dont wear it much but when I do its handy when glassing. I dont care for it grabbing stuff when going through corn or thick stuff. I try to stay lean and what I do have on me has to come off quick when I want it off. When on the ground and if you like to move you already got 2 of the best bow holders available.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
I always hold the bow - shots from the ground can happen quickly without much warning.  I wear knee high rubber boots and stick the limbtip in the top of my boot with hand on riser.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
I set on a low stool with my bow laying in my lap, I just ease it up and lean forward to shoot.

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
Depends upon the setup.  I lean my upright against a tree or brushpile if the setup allows.  If not, I hold the bow across my lap.

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©