3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bh Pics, holes they leave/  (Read 52826 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bh Pics, holes they leave/
« Reply #300 on: May 09, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Over kill!????   :biglaugh:    :dunno:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: May 09, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
What I've found is that most "blood shot" is not in the tissue of the meat. More encasing the meat and can be cleaned away before packaging.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: May 10, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
This was the entrance hole with a A Boyer 300 grain.  Couldn't believe the blood trail and only went 28 yards.

This was a small pig and the arrow went in sharp quartering away cutting 2 ribs, taking the heart going through the throat and logging in the lower jaw. I was using a 60" Centaur 51# and a total weight arrow of 776 grains.  

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: May 13, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
With the big holes you see from the Simmons heads it is all from a cut no different really then if the meat is cut while being butchered. It's not the same as a big hole with a rifle or shotgun. Believe me I shoot a larger caliber rifle (.300 win mag) with ballistic tips and my grandpa shoots an elephant gun for whitetails. There are times we do lose part of the shoulder meat or lower leg meat. Now this does not mean that some meat with the simmons may be lost or not I don't know yet but hope to find out this fall. It's always better though to lose even one whole shoulder of an animal and still recover the rest to eat than not recover the animal at all.
James Kerr

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: May 13, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesKerr:
With the big holes you see from the Simmons heads it is all from a cut no different really then if the meat is cut while being butchered. It's not the same as a big hole with a rifle or shotgun. Believe me I shoot a larger caliber rifle (.300 win mag) with ballistic tips and my grandpa shoots an elephant gun for whitetails. There are times we do lose part of the shoulder meat or lower leg meat, That doesn't mean some meat with the simmons may not be lost or not I don't know yet but hope to find out this fall. It's always better though to lose even one hole shoulder of an animal and still recover the rest to eat than not recover the animal at all.
James, that is along the lines of what I was thinking.  I know that I have had some not so well placed shots on deer just because I didn't focus and lost a good bit of meat.  I do agree that you want to find the deer, but indians at one time used stone points.  I hope I didn't degrade the heads in any manner, as that was not my intent.

Thanks for the reply.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: May 14, 2014, 06:39:00 AM »
"Notice the triceps muscle sliced off the bone. You can see the entry hole in the rib cage is back farther than I would have thought based on where the arrow hit."

30Coupe - I am guessing with great certainty the leg is in a much different spot in the top pic than it was when the arrow struck giving the illusion of a "far forward" hit.  Perfect shot BTW.

As far as blood in meat and salvaging what has been cut.  If you soak the meat in a bowl of salt water over night it will be just fine.  I even soak hearts that have been shot through and they are good to go and yummy the next day.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: May 14, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
There is no such thing as "over kill" in bow hunting!  You get what you cut....

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=211;t=000012

The bigger pig in the link above was shot with a Treeshark.  “Oreo” was perfectly broadside and the gash didn't look any different than anything I've shot with a Magnus 1.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: May 14, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Daniel I lost a deer this year that was shot high in the chest cavity with a Zwickey Delta 4 blade. The shot was really close and I nicked a vertebrae going down and bent the bleeder on one side and dulled the head pretty good. There was hardly any blood at all. I have seen the pictures posted here on this thread of the simmons and all the other heads and when I shoot an animal from now on I want there to be buckets of blood. The simmons seem like the best choice because they make even the zwickey delta 4 blade look like a tiny little head. I have done some test shooting into milk jugs full of water with different heads and found that the simmons or a 3 blade like a woodsman or snuffer seems to promote the quickest loss of water. Sometimes with the 4 blades the hole would just look like a regular 2 blade slit with very small cuts with the bleeder blades went through. I won't even go into a narrow 2 blade.
James Kerr

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: November 03, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
Hopefully now its the 2014 seaon can we get any more pics.
This thread is awesome. I'm using 250 vpa 2 blade this year hopeto get a deer with them. so hopefully I can get some pics up soon.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: November 03, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
Here's my Simmons "Tiger shark" story from Halloween afternoon.  Although not proud of the shot it all worked out and I contribute that to these broad heads!

At 6:10 pm I took a shot at a quartering away doe shooting on her right side from 11 yards. At the shot she moved and my arrow appeared to hit her way back and in the ham about middle ways up, and with very little penetration.

She took off as shot out of a cannon, and I watched my arrow fall to the ground about 15 feet away from where she stood. Upon investigating the area I found found white belly hair and stomach materials, instead of brown hair from the hip.

I backed out for 3 hours and upon returning prepared for a long night of tracking. I set out to look for a gut shot deer that I originally would have said was hit in the ham.

After 50 yards of nothing but gut materials and no blood I find a pile of intestines, the large, small, and the colon all piled together   :dunno:  

From there I begin to fine small droplets of blood for the next 61 yards and a dead deer that stiff as a board from being dead for 3 hours.

In my case the Simmons Tiger shark  had unzipped the lower paunch of the doe and totally disemboweled her by the first 50 yards.

That's why I was able to get a deer that otherwise would have gotten a close shave and a lesson in survival.  The Simmons turn a bad shot into tenderloins.

Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: November 17, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »
ttt anyone have more success pics?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b542/CoachBGriff/20141030_203601_zpsfcde30c8.jpg

Simmons Tigershark 175 gr.  produced almost 2" hole and a 45 yrd recovery. VERY impressed!

God Bless,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: November 24, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
250 Gr VPA 1-1/4" 3 Blade

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: November 24, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by DarkTimber:
250 Gr VPA 1-1/4" 3 Blade

Now that's a "Happy Trail"   :scared:  

Nice shootin  :thumbsup:
The Lord Is My Provider......

« Reply #314 on: November 24, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
11/01/14
delta 4 blade.

11/21/14
delta 4blade.

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: November 26, 2014, 03:17:00 AM »
I am surprised not seeing more pictures about shots with the " battle axe " from centaur

i think that blade is even wider than the
simmons ...!!!

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: November 26, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
Delta two blade.

This year's fall turkey

My first buck shot and recovered: Story to come at the end of this season.

Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: November 26, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
And just for fun!!

Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #318 on: February 22, 2015, 12:33:00 AM »
Any December/January pics from this past season?
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: March 07, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
Get up at 4:30 with my 3 year old, then order Tree Sharks at 5:30 am.  Why not right!!  Great thread and perfect Saturday read.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©