3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What hunts are you planning for 2011? Souting yet?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
What hunts are you planning for 2011? Souting yet?
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
For me it all depends on the draw! I have as good a chance as ever at drawing a Shiras moose tag   :pray:   or a Mtn. goat tag, but I won't hold my breath. I've been seeing such great bulls this winter that it wil be hard to take my mind off of Elk hunting no matter what I draw LOL! How about you guy's? Also are any of you guy's scouting for fall yet?

What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What hunts are you planning for 2011? Souting yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
I had a great one planned, but with our new Governor wanting to cut state funding this year drastically to State Universities (where I work) I have had to put it on hold, but not counted out just yet. I will say that it was to go out West though.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
I have a Texas hog hunt coming the end of March. Then it's turkeys, and a dry spell after that until deer, elk, and fall turks. I will fill in the summer with a trip to Alaska (sightseeing, not hunting) and camping near home. Nice bull in that picture!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
In order:

NY Snowshoe Hare
SC Hogs
NY Spring Turkey
NY Carp/Frog/Snapping turtle
CO Elk
NY Bear
NY Deer
NY Small game

Elksong, I will need some elk hunting tips when you get a moment. I am a virgin Elkhunter   :readit:    :bigsmyl:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Mike -I had planned on going out of state myself, but has my tied to the home state also.

Centuar -I am hoping to get to Alaska one day, sight seeing or hunting, doesn't matter! Sounds like a good year.

CR- Looks like you'll be BUSY! Send me a PM and I'll try and help if I can.
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
It's been a couple years since I've been able to get out of state due to finances, but I'm thinking elk in CO this fall. Otherwise, turkeys in a few weeks, then bowfishing and squirrel season opens in late May.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Elksong, very cool photo! 3 years ago I had cow called & a bull responded to me 150yds out, he was a respectable 6-point. I called again & same "get over here" response. I knew right then he wasn't coming but he expected me to! I did. I got to within 30yds of him in dense cover & was doing my best to get a visual of him as he'd just screamed at me seconds before I got to my ambush hidden spot which was a spruce tree with limbs hanging to the ground, I peeked through the branches of needles & saw a bull nearly exactly like your photo.

All I could see was ears, eyes, nose & rack! He was slightly looking uphill in my direction but was behind a huge down-fall instead of rocks as in your photo, but the same scene! Thanks for helping me re-live that memory!!

Oh, & yes I took that bull at 18yds with a 55# longbow! Thanks again!

ElkNut1

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
We need pictures of that one.  I would love to see it. ^^^^^
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Dnovo -Good luck on the Co. hunt, LOT's of elk this year!

Thanks Elknut! Seeing some great bulls here this winter. This one showed himself all the way a little latter also. You can see I tried to "tie him up", I gotta use something stronger next time!LOL!

Offline kadiak kid...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
each year i hunt deer right here in ohio...so thats my plan,we have a deer camp called DEER CAMP(WN)...had it several years now and those coming have taken some real nice bucks on public land...anybuddy is welcome,all thats required is proper licenses...and a day of scouting is preferred ,best in the spring time...i'd like to see some trad. hunters in camp...
Cya at Deer Camp(WN)...

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
I am really excited this year about spring bear, I fart around with it every year but I am going to hit it hard this year. Looking forward to turkey as well.

I will have maybe 4 or 5 days of early sept to hunt elk before heading to AK. I am going to tree stand some for Elk pretty stoked about that.

Then Nov. whitetail.......wahoo!

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
KK- The hunts close to home are alway special.

Stick - I wish we still had our spring bear season   :(  . You hunting over wallows, trail or feed in the treestands?

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
I packed some stands in a LLLOOOOOOOONNNNGGG ways in a few years ago, one over a real tight natural funnel, it was productive though I never killed. The other will be over a wallow. I have alot of faith in that funnel, so it will be hard to not set.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Just Michigan whitetails for me. Waiting for snowmelt to resume scouting. I marked a bunch of locations over Xmas, when we had the big thaw. Hopefully will resume scouting in 2-3 weeks.

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
That's awesome, Stickbow. If you have faith in a place there is proably areason for it. Good luck!

Offline head_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
I'm planning on returning to Colorado for my second DIY Elk hunt this year. Plan on bringing my first ever longbow this time. I was fortunate to take a beautiful 6X6 my first time out. The scenery is absolutely breath taking. We camped on top of the mountain at 10,000 feet and it was the best time of my life. The P&Y Elk was just the icing on the cake.
There's more to hunting than taking a trophy.......Enjoy everything the woods have to offer

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
HH -It is an awesome place I feel blessed to have been born and raised here. Do you put in for deer also, or focus totally on those buglin' bulls!?!?

Offline head_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
No I just go for the over the counter Elk tags. We hunted just outside of a small town called Parachute and hunted in the White River National Forest. I was discouraged to only see a few Mullies and they were does.
There's more to hunting than taking a trophy.......Enjoy everything the woods have to offer

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
HH- I live 30 min. from Parachute. Our mule deer have been hurtin' for a few year, but they have come back good in several area's.

Offline head_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Glad to hear that. I hope to see more this year. Love those little critters on top of the mountains that look like a chipmunk but must weigh 5lbs. What do you call them? Good luck to you this year. Small world that I chat with someone who lives 30 minutes from where I drive 36 hours and 2000 miles to chase Elk!!! How cool is that?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©