3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kayak for hunting  (Read 566 times)

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Kayak for hunting
« on: March 05, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
I'm looking into buying a Kayak for exploring Idaho this summer....also, I would like to use it to get to hunting sweet spots....looking for one that a big ole boy like me can get into...any suggestions.....
Leon Stewart 3 piece TD "Slammer" 62" 54lbs
Black Widow PCHX 60" 53 lbs

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kayak for hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Get a canoe, more carrying capacity
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
I have been looking at the Bass Pro Ascend, big capacity and a big opening. They are 31" wide for stability.  They even have a camo model  :D

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
ocean kayak trident 11

i have a 11 and my dad has a 13 and we couldnt be happier with them. they are a sit on top design, extremely stabile. i can stand in mine while going down the river and fish, can jump in the water and climb back in it no problems and the water has to be real shallow before it will hit bottom. lots of storage space inside the kayak as well as on top of it. has a great seat design with lots of back support fo rthose long trips.   my uncles getting rid of his old town sit in after trying mine out. sit on tops are where its at.  I think i paid somewhere around $750 for mine but i cant really remember might have been closer to $800.

whats your price range?
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Weight capacity on the ascend shows only 325 #s.  Not enough for me and the deer! lol
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline PArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
I agree with awbowman, go with the canoe, you will get a lot higher capacity and a lot more room for stuff. I have a Yellowstone Solo by Bell and I absolutely love it.
Shoot Straight

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I think canoes vs. kayaks are almost like ford vs. chevy.  I'm definately a canoe guy.  I think both would have their advantages and disadvantages.  You can get in and out of a canoe without getting wet feet, and it has a bunch more capacity.  

With that being said I think you should spend some time in each before you decide.  Just my opinion though.

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
As you can tell by my username that I may be a little biased.  However, I paddle both canoes and kayaks.  I don't think you can find a kayak that will suit your needs (capacity).  Nothing says that you can't use a kayak paddle (granted a longer one) in a canoe if you're looking to make the paddling easier.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Nothing better than a good ol' canoe for carrying your hunting/camping toys along. Now, if this were a fishing thread, I would recommend the Old Town fishing kayak.

If you are gonna be in shallow, fast stuff, may I recommend a Grumman aluminum hulled canoe?
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
We fish redfish in skinny water in the marshes of Louisiana and you will not find better than the kayak, but for open water and capacity the canoe will serve you better.  Just my opinion though  ....  but we guys down south are practically raised in boats be it powered, a canoe, piroque and/or kayak, and each has it's place.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
For contact with rocks royalex is better than aluminum, the tin canoes tend to stick to rocks.  A 16 foot canoe with a center seat and a long kayak paddle is the way to go. if you are going with a buddy at times a 17 footer can still be used with the long paddle when you are going solo.  I use what used to be the top of the line kevlar Mad River Explorer. i load up front and sit in the front seat and go backwards.  This is easy to do in a symmetrical canoe, asymmetrical canoes go forward better in lake conditions, but they argue with you when the water is coming from behind at times.  Long kayak paddles are available from The Redrock Store out of ely, Mn.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
I use an '80s vintage Folbot. It's about 17' long, has lots of beam and a 900 lb payload capacity, and is much more stable than a canoe. I has a very durable hypalon hull. I've had it full of moose meat and dragged it over beaver dams without damage. Plus it breaks down into to bags if want to do a fly-in hunt sometime. If you can find one of these, you'll have great hunting vessel!
Chuck

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
I own canoes, and prefer them.  I borrowed my sisters kayak to paddle back into an area to try for hogs while visiting her in Georgia a couple of springs ago.  I had to tie a second behind to carry my gear.  They were the smaller pond style.  I don't know what I would have done if I had gotten a big hog.  I have used canoes to paddle into areas carrying a climber and all my gear and had room for an additional deer on the way out.  I have shot a deer from the canoe as well, which would in my opinion, be tougher in the lower kayak.  I also find it easier to paddle silently with almost no movement by feathering the paddle under water in the canoe.  Don't know if I could easily pull off the same style maneuver it the kayak.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
I have a 14'2" Perception "Illusion" sit-on top kayak that except for carrying a deer out offers in my opinion advantages over a canoe in just about every category. That said, short of butchering the deer into manageable pieces for loading and multiple trips even then, I don't know of any Kayak that matches a canoe for transporting a deer.

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
I just put a leer topper on truck with racks on top...suppose to be heavy duty enough for canoe..In my thinking, I would have to have something I can put on top of truck and put on take off at times by myself...also pull camper so trailer is out....

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
I haven't hunted out of this, but it would sure work great.

Not sure where to get them anymore.  It was called a biyak.  My son and I were floating the Green River in Utah in this shot. We camped in the gorge for 3 days and this is coming out into a Class 3 at Red Creek. It's plenty stable.  

Steve

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
I found the Wilderness Systems Tsunami to be a large volume kayak that was very roomy and comfortable (I am 6' 225#).  

The right boat for you is going to vary greatly depending the water you'll be paddling and how much you will want to take with you.  If you are not taking a lot with you and you don't have any companions (dogs or people), go with the kayak.  I love canoes but they are such a pain in wind.  The kayaks sits so much lower that wind is much less of an issue.  

We really need more details to actually make an accurate recommendation.

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Well I am going to be in Idaho for the summer. I plan on doing a lot of exploring, and fishing. I will be in the Sandpoint, Idaho area..alot of lakes and some rivers.. I believe kayaking is pretty popular in the region there. I will be hauling a 30 foot travel trailer so what ever I get will have to go on top of truck/topper...

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
Forgot to mention that my Folbot has a large open cockpit. Easy to get your gear in and out. Here's a photo of my Folbot on one of my hunts:

Chuck

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Check out NuCanoe before you make a decision. Seems like a pretty versatile boat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©