3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Waterproof Boot for Sept and Oct Elk Hunting  (Read 1444 times)

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Waterproof Boot for Sept and Oct Elk Hunting
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
I hunted in a pair of Meindl Alaskans (for Cabelas) last fall and they were NOT waterproof as advertised.  We hunted in rain and wet ground for most of the hunt and my feet were soaked day 2 thru 8.  I had to take the boots and socks off every night and hand dry them over the fire.  

I had hunted with them previously in Alaska with better luck (probably cause there was very little rain!)  Not great quality from an expensive boot.

I've looked at the Danner Pronghorn and the reviews seem to point them being a leaky boot as well.  

I've also heard good things about Schnee's pac boots but haven't heard much about their lightweight mountain type boots...and I've never hunted in either.

I do 100% of my hunting by foot, mostly long hikes into wilderness areas, so I'll need a comfortable, relatively light boot that is truly 100% waterproof.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Waterproof Boot for Sept and Oct Elk Hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
The way you describe your hunting I'd say the Kennetrek hiking boots would be the ticket. Pair them up with some nice Gaiters and you'd be set for a bunch of weather scenarios. Very waterproof, long lasting.  There are 3 models in diff weights you can choose from that are the hiking variety in diff heights.  Spendy though.  If you only used them for hunting I'd say they would last and last though. They are well built.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
never hunted elk, but ...

for light to medium trekking in wet slop, i love my 8" llbean boots w/rubber bottoms and leather tops.  the boot tongue is stitched to the boot sides for a full waterproofing for the whole boot height.  made in the usa and priced right.  i prefer the uninsulted version.  most folks have "ankle biter" issues with bean boots that's easily and totally resolved with a strip of leather boot heel insert.  

for medium to hard mountainside hiking i love my hi-tech ultra lite altitude waterproof boots.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
I've got the Meindl's. They were waterproof for the first couple years, but now one of them isn't.

Online happy1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
I hunt in LaCrosse burley's in Colorado.  Tuck your pants in and they stay dry and no blisters on your feet.  Wore leather boots out there the first time and had wet feet and blisters.
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Asolo 520's with Goretex lining. I have hunting with a pair for 3 yrs now. They are comfortable right out of the box, will take extreme abuse, and I have put them to the test here in rainy Oregon. I even walked through a shallow creek and stayed dry. I found them on sale and bought a back up pair! Good ankle support for packing out in the high country.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Greg Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
Irish Setter Elk Hunter model with 600 grams of Thinsulate.  4 years of leak-proof, hard service for me.  I do take the time to clean and oil them.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
I've had my pronghorns for four years, no problems at all. I love them, light, good tread design, good support and absolutly no wet feet and several choices of insulation. Maybe I just got a good pair but they have served me very well. One of the best things about them is they seem almost pre-broke in..very comfortable from the start.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Try the Wolverine Crowleys! I love mine! Ive hunted Black Hills turkey(Run & Gun or Bow), and they are waterproof, lightweight, and have good support!

Offline gscales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
you might take a look at the Muck brand boots. I bought the muckmasters. they have lasted years for me and I live in the foothills of colorado and have really abused them. They hold up great.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Just to show that everyone has a little different experience I'll add my 2 cents.  I have used Cabela's Outfitter boots for years.  The same pair has hunted Idaho and Colorado for several seasons.  I've used them some here in MN hunting whitetails too!

I've never had wet feet from leakage.  I'm not sure how many wet days in a row I have worn them but I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.  One of my hunting partners bought a pair at the same time and returned them.  Another that I hunt with has a different model of Cabela's boots he swears by.

Only experience will tell you what works well for you.  There are lots of good boots out there and you can find someone that has had a bad experience with any one of them.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
I have had good luck with the cabelas gore-tex silent stalker sneakers. I like a light weight boot to cover ground better but they need to be super quite,water proof and plenty of support. This is one of the better ones I've come acrossed. The scent lock feature dosn't matter much to me but these are made for the elk hunter IMO. I have the pronghorns and love them but they are alittle heavy and alittle loud for me. Some people like a real ridged boot but I like a boot I hardly notice thats even there. Danner dose make one of the best most durable boots out there IMO.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
The best boot is the one that fits your foot.  If it's raining the whole time you're hunting, no amount of GoreTex will keep you dry.  If it's just dewy in the AM or the occasional shower, any boot with GoreTex will work.  Personally, I've had good luck with Lowa boots.  HanWag has a good reputation if you want custom and are willing to spend the money.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
Like Randy Morin said, go Kennetrek!  I have a jillion miles in mine, creek crossing, hunting out of my canoe, snow, muddy slop, etc, kennetrek all the way!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
Boot care is often the big factor in life and effectiveness of a good pair of boots. Storing them wet and/or dirty, not following the manufacturer's recommendations for treating, and improper drying will all kill a good pair of boots. It doesn't matter who made them.

I have a 10 year old pair of handmade Vibergs that are on their third resole, and have been worn for at least 200 days a year in any and all weather for all ten of those years. Another guy i know has a 30 year old pair of Dayton loggers (similar to White's) that have spent all of the time in the bush year round (Forestry Service Tech). The common factor? Good quality, hand built boots that are treated with respect like any other piece of valuable equipment.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 02:05:00 AM »
Danner has several with GoreTex, but with any boot, cleaning, proper drying and treating with the right product is essential.

It is not always possible to use a boot dryer while hunting, but if you stuff newspaper in the boot it will soak up moisture. I wear a light wool or synthetic sock then a medium or heavy weight wool sock to wick moisture.

I follow the manufacturer's care instructions as much as possible to get the best from my boots.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cane Knife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 02:51:00 AM »
I like Danner Explorers or Santiams.  Look for "Made in USA" (Only a few models) and not the Imported ones.  They're a bit more $$'s but worth it.  US Armed forces use a lot of them (Danners) as well and that's good field testing for me.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 03:27:00 AM »
Man, so much good information in this thread.

So i have to put in my opinion also.  This is one subject near and dear to my heart.  Hang in there, I have a of advise.  

Your feet are your number one concern.    You already know that! Whatever boot you buy, needs to fit your feet well and to be "broken in" so that you can have healthy feet at the end of a long days hike/hunt, or for that matter multiple days hunting.   Try on as many pairs as you can, put a boot on and walk around the store for as long as you can.  The last boots I bought I wore, in the store, for over an hour before I made a decision.  

The boots you mentioned, Meindel Alaskans, Danner Pronghorns and Schnees Pac boots are in different categories.  Meindel boots are one of the better boots built.  I have worn a couple of different pair for over 14 years.  If those Alaskans  are leaking, you have to look at a couple of things.  If in fact they leaked and are defective,  Cabela's has an excellent policy on their products.  Call their customer service and ask to have them replaced.  Thats if you haven't worn them in such a way as to damage the boot.  

As stated by Daz, boot care is another important issue.  Consider testing your boots when you have some spare time.  Set them in the sink or the tub and see if water gets inside.  Oh yeah, do the boot test in the sink when the wife is out of the house, this test doesn't sit well with most spouses.  Trust me on this point !

If you are keeping the Alaskans and they leak, try and find the area that may be leaking,  Is it damaged ?   If not retreat them with something like "Sno Seal".  This is one of the best "weather proofing"   protectants i have every used.  Its relatively inexpensive and lasts a season long.  Wash the boots first and let them dry naturally.  Hey, this reminds me, on your last trip, if you dried your boots over the fire and you got the boots to hot, you may have damaged them.  Check the boots over really well.  

There are many good boot companies out there,Kenetrek,  Schnees, Meindel, Lowe,  Vasque, Solomon, Zamberlan, Scarpa, Garmont, Merrel, Cabela's, Danner, just to name a few.

I would look at what you have first, get them replaced by Cabela's.  Next, retreat what you have, and then as Randy said, combine a good pair of gators with your boots.  The gators will help prevent moisture from getting in.  

I spent 9 days in Manitoba last October guiding duck and goose hunters and most ever day i was in my Kenetrek's, rain pants and Kenetrek gators.  I went in the marsh up to my knees on three occasions and never got my feet wet.  My pants and legs were wet but not my feet.  

Hey, just to give you an idea.  I live and work in boots also.  I have owned a pair from just about every manufacturer there is.  Currently i have 9 working pairs of boots that i trade back and forts on.  

My favorites are Kenetrek, Cabelas, Lowe and Schnees.  These companies are not only well made but have excellent customer service.  

Good luck and keep us posted.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Lowa boots + Kenetrek gaitors has worked for me

Offline k9bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
I'll have to throw in my 2 cents worth for the Kennetreks also, hard to beat em'.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©