3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Waterproof Boot for Sept and Oct Elk Hunting  (Read 1445 times)

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Waterproof Boot for Sept and Oct Elk Hunting
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
You've got to find some that fit right and provide good support.  I like my Asolos (Sassalongs fit my foot) when there is no snow or no more than a couple inches.  If the snow gets deeper I wear my Danner Frontiers.  Both boots are goretex and I haven't had a problem with either boot leaking over several seasons.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Most good brand leather boots are waterproof for a while. I've tried many brands and have never seen a leather gore-tex boot that would not leak evetually. If it is not rubber it will leak.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Gore-tex booties are Gore-tex booties and, for me, they ALWAYS have leaked after even short periods of heavy use.  My preference now is for regular leather.  I get wet, but I'm still comfortable and my boots dry during the course of a day.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I several different pairs of Danner's (Pronghorn) is one. I also hunt Idaho Elk, backcountry for 30+ days. I've NEVER found a pair of boots to be 100% WP OUT of the box. My feet have not gotten wet in the Danner's, I've had the pronghorns now 5 years, the other pair (Elk something) for almost 10 years, I clean and treat them with NO-SNOW once or 2x a year. Gaitor's is must in the backcountry.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by JJB2:
 ...my feet were soaked day 2 thru 8.  I had to take the boots and socks off every night and hand dry them over the fire. ...
Alaska is the ultimate testing ground for waterproof gear, that is for sure.

I wonder if there was another issue involved besides a leaking boot. My Meindl's are a very hot boot. ie they do not breath well at all and if I do not take them off during the day there is a build up of moisture from simply not venting out the moisture from sweat. Enough so that the boot becomes "wet" on the inside. If I didn't now live in Colorado and hunt where its dry air a lot of the time, I think it would be difficult drying the boots out.

The more I sealed the leather the worse it got too. The more active I was also impacted how wet they felt.

Over time, like the two days you describe, might well have made my boots behave like a leaking boot.

Mine never leaked in river crossings or crossing muddy/wet parks (yes there is wet out here!) I've owned two pairs and they both were waterproof.  12hr days guiding elk hunters in wet snow covered grasses for a week was one test they passed. It was like walking through foam all day.

Just a thought.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
oops...
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
I love my Bean boots but they are not the ideal boot for rocky climbing. You may take a look at Chippewa boots, most made in the USA.  It will say on their site if the specific boot is American made.  Good boots, waterproof and tough.  They do need some break in, love mine.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Anything Danner or Merrell, I hunt a lot here in the west and they are both great boots.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
jhg, the Meindl's didn't leak in alaska and I bear hunted hard in them for a week - crossed creeks, hunted the mud flats, got em pretty wet.  They leaked in Colorado last fall.  When I got back from Alaska I cleaned em up and retreated them.  Our week + in Colorado last fall was wet. muddy and the boots leaked constantly, no matter how dry I got em the night before.  I agree with you on them being hot...really hot, but it wasn't perspiration, it was water coming in.  They leaked around the rubber/leather seems and where the toe creases from walking, also up under the laces closest to the toe.

Jack and all the others recommending the kenetrek boots - are you wearing the grizzly pac boots with the more agressive sole pattern or are you wearing the leather mountain boots or hiking boots?

Thanks all for the great feedback.  I really appreciate it.  I've always invested in boots first, as my feet are priority #1.  I learned that at age 11 freezing in a deer stand in some store bought "winter boots".  Year #2 found me in a pair of Mickey's and since I've always worried about my feet first and the rest later.  Needless to say I was very disappointed that my Meindl's didn't perform last fall they way they did in Alaska.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
I was refering to the "Hiking" boots as stated in my original post.

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
I do mostly elk and sheep hunting and do it all in my Lowa's.  The meindels and kennetrek are very similar in design to the Lowas and I think any of them would be top notch.  They are a little heavier than a pronghorn or vasque but in the steep country they keep your ankles in place and can take a whooping.  I use to go through a paire of boots every year (danners/vasque)due to the rugged country (mainly rocks) but I've had the same pair of Lowa's for 4 years now and still have a few years left in them.  Thats after countless elk hunts and 5 sheep hunts.  I know the Lowa's are usually for a wider foot and I beleive the Kennetrek might be more suitable for a narrower foot.  Check with your local store because I beleive you will want to order 1/2 size bigger on most of the above mentioned boots.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
I too like the L.L. Bean Maine Hunting Boots in the 10" version - but I would make a distinction between the Maine Hunting Shoe and their "Bean Boots"... they're not the same.  The Maine Hunting Shoe uses a softer rubber more suited for woods wear as well as a different (waterproof) leather than the "Bean Boot".

I never had a problem with the seam that Rob mentioned... could just be different ankle anatomy... I also often wear orthotics that raise my ankle above that seam.  

That being said though, I know you (the OP) specified you wanted something for long hikes and my feet wear out a little sooner than normal in the ME Hunting Boot (there's just not as much support with them).  I can't give you a personal review, but I've been eyeing up the L.L. Bean Cresta Hiking boot for just the same purpose.
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Were you wearing good gaitors???   Regardless of the boot you need a good Gaitor to keep your feet dry elk hunting.  I have worn Browning (yes 20 years ago they made an elk hunting boot), Danner, Schnee, bean boots, and now Lowas.  They all have their place.  But all would get my feet wet without good goretex gaitors.  my 2 cents.

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
I SECOND JACK,,,,GOOD LUCK
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
I have a pair of danner elk hunters and a pair of aslo's that I just bought this year. They both leak, bad. My feet get wet even while walking in wet grass. Dont seem to matter what I treat them with(snow seal,mink oil,silicone spray etc). Both are gor-tex lined.Iam thinking of trying a pair of muck boots,just dont know how well they are for rough rocky elk mule deer country.And long hikes.I use a pair of russell moccisons for hunting pigs in texas and they dont claim them to be water proof but they are much more water resistent then any of the gore-tex lined boots ive tried.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
I'm a probghorn fan as well. Never had a leak yet and the boots are 5 years old. Very comfortable.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
I've been Elk hunting in Schnee's for about ten years. Only rebuilt them once, and by far are the best wet weather boot I've found. Get the 16", tuck your pants in and you dont need gaiters.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
i recall a story about someone planning a trip to alaska -a four month stay to hunt different game, they came down to the baffins rubber boots.
cost wasnt even a issue but the fact they could take out the liner and put a dry one in or even just take them out to dry over night. like the other post said boot care is everything if boots r just a little damp your feet will freeze too easy.
plus rubber boots will give u awesome scent protection add some baking soda if needed.
Tommy
-just add effort.

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
I have put many miles on Danner Pronghorns and the only ones that have leaks are the ones I have worn out. I will get a pair of the newest version for this fall and hope the tradition continues. Having more than 1 pair of boots to hunt with is a big help, switch up ea. day. Clean them, dry them out and treat with a quality product regularly and they last as long as you can expect in rough elk country (several years). I haven't ever had a problem with the Danners but I have had some other brands that leaked from the start. Break a new pair (whatever brand) in the old fashion way, put them on, walk through as much real wet stuff as you can find, pond edges, creeks, the kiddie pool, whatever. get them soaked to the core and make sure you didn't get a pair that got a bad liner. Then wear them until dry or close to it. If they have a problem trade them in before you find out in the hills. The gaiters are a plus in the real wet stuff and they insulate the legs too and man I love those Smartwool sox. Good luck and keep those toes dry and comfortable.....especially in elk country!!
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline CheyenneFoote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
Try the Oboz hiking boots,100% water proof, no blistes out of the box, great boot!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©