3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Asbell's "Advanced Instinctive Shooting for Bowhunting"  (Read 868 times)

Re: Fred Asbell's "Advanced Instinctive Shooting for Bowhunting"
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Thanks Rob!
You know this is perfect for me.  

Now where can one get it?   (guess I'll have a look around)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tony Van Dort:
Thanks Rob!
You know this is perfect for me.  

Now where can one get it?   (guess I'll have a look around)
indeed it is, sir - me too!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Loved the book too, but it does seem he's changed his idea on gripping the long bow with a full grip or was he attempting to distinguish between those longbows with grips that are closer to a recurve? In his previous book he made such a point identifying the major differences between the two so this caught me off guard a bit. He didn't spend a whole lot of time on that issue so I'm not sure if that was really what he was attempting to convey or I was just taking it all wrong.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by smoke1953:
Loved the book too, but it does seem he's changed his idea on gripping the long bow with a full grip or was he attempting to distinguish between those longbows with grips that are closer to a recurve? In his previous book he made such a point identifying the major differences between the two so this caught me off guard a bit. He didn't spend a whole lot of time on that issue so I'm not sure if that was really what he was attempting to convey or I was just taking it all wrong.
dunno about his earlier writings, but in this book he clearly spells out his thoughts about straight grips and hand placement.  and i agree.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
Great,thanks for the review
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
This is without a doubt the best book yet. A great aid to anyone who reads it. Fred is a national treasure for all traditional bowhunters.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the reviews. I've read his other books before and will have to invest in this one as well.
Romans 8:28

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I second Rob on Fred's new book. Have read it, marked it, and used it for a form adjustment. A must read for any traditional archer. I really like the way Fred communicates his ideas.   :archer2:

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I just bought this book, can't wait to get it in my hands.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
I have all of his book butr not been able to read this last one.I agree with Rob about Fred,he is been my inspiration on shooting style.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
just picked up a copy at waterloo and agree with rob 100%. I hope one day to get a chance to take a class with fred.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Would the book be beneficial and supportive to a gap shooter (like me)?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Ben - It is not a gap shooting book at all. So yes, it migt be beneficial.....  :bigsmyl:  

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Fred's style is truly intinctive, and does not reference anything as a sighting aid, other than the spot you are trying to hit. It is at it's best, (and intended to be) in the field, one arrow at a time.

Offline JeffB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by JeffB:
Does this book supercede the original two? Or is this one meant to complement (and require) the originals?
EXCELLENT question, Jeff!  *I* don't have the answer as I have not read the book, but perhaps someone who owns them all can!    :D

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 03:05:00 AM »
Well-done, Rog! Ya got me! I left myself wide-open, there.

I'll have to pass on the instinctive way, though. I tried and tried and tried, but just couldn't get the hang of it. I read his other books, and watched his DVD, and practiced with a really good instinctive shooter. My brain, sporting ability, and coordination just are not up to the task, at least, not consistently. So, I learned to gap shoot, and it really brought back the joy of hitting the target to me.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
Well-done, Rog! Ya got me! I left myself wide-open, there.

I'll have to pass on the instinctive way, though. I tried and tried and tried, but just couldn't get the hang of it. I read his other books, and watched his DVD, and practiced with a really good instinctive shooter. My brain, sporting ability, and coordination just are not up to the task, at least, not consistently. So, I learned to gap shoot, and it really brought back the joy of hitting the target to me.
ah, it's all good. for every instinctive shooting barry wensel there is an identical twin gap shooting gene wensel.   :)

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 06:18:00 AM »
That is a really cool way of putting it, Rob! Cheers!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
It's a good and informative read, and now has it's place along the other 3 books I have by him.

Was interesting to learn that because I shoot 3 under, I'm not shooting instinctively.  We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
Hey, I didn't realize that? Barry W is an instinctive shooter and Gene W is a gap shooter? Thats interesting, especially because they are twins.

Ben, I respect good bow shooters....style really doesn't matter.   :bigsmyl:  

There was an Australian fellow and his son at the Asbell/Black Widow clinic I attended last spring...I can't think of his name. He was an interesting guy, and had come to the states for a "Traditional Archery Vacation" with his son.They also came to Compton. Pretty good shooters, both of them. I give you guys a lot of credit for being traditional bow hunters. Those buffaloes you guys always chase are damned huge!

Offline G. Fred Asbell

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Relative to whether you need to have read the first two books, and whether a gap shooter can benefit from reading the books: The books were written to stand alone, although INSTINCTIVE II has information in it that the first book did not, and this new book contains lots more information than did the first two. Basically you can say that each book takes instinctive shooting and the reader farther along the path to good shooting. Gap shooters, or any other shooter regardless of aiming method and/or bow,can benefit from the book because a majority of the shooting mechanics contained in the book apply to all bow shooting. The information about bow hand, shoulder, push-pull shooting, etc. applies to all bow shooting, regardless of aiming method, or bow type. G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©