3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Saddness upon killing an animal  (Read 845 times)

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Saddness upon killing an animal
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Well, here's one to ponder for you seasoned hunters.
 I have an unending YEARNING to hunt. To scout, track, learn, explore, play the big chess game with the animals I hunt. I have to. I enjoy when the hard work pays off, the gods kick in a bit of mojo, and I get to take my well practiced shot. I love to accept the personal struggle of gutting, skinning, dragging out game in exchange for my well placed shot.
  But MAN, call me a wussbag.  I was looking today at a buck I took years ago , and couldn't help but wonder about his life before I ended it. What did HE learn? What battles did he fight and win? From button buck to his massiveness when I took him....no one will ever know. It all happened without anyone seeing it. What would he have endured if I hadn't taken him?  
I'm proud to have taken every animal that I have with the recurve. Black bears, whitetails, bull and cow elk, bison, wild boar, rabbit, pheasant, grouse, beaver, red stag, raccoon, fox, squirrels, etc. etc.
 But I have a sadness that hits me with every kill. Bison to squirrel, they had their struggles in life that no one knows about, and I respect that so damn much. It hasn't stopped me from loosing an arrow yet, but it is always in my mind.
 Even years later looking back on different hunts, I smile, I relish the fond memories but feel sadness also.
Such a strange thing we hunters are a part of. The animals feel no remorse upon their kills or dominance won. Hyenas feeding on a LIVE cape buffalo stuck in the mud from the butt end forward, is a good example.  But as humans we( some of us anyway) suffer slightly inside when we take a life. But we have a burning desire to attempt nothing less again and again.
Not looking for answers, just my thoughts this afternoon.
 We are a very lucky bunch to get to hunt for enjoyment as well as food, instead of hunting for sheer survival like the critters we pursue.
 I need to go sit in front of a good fire for awhile, I'm one lucky SOB.
David M. Conroy

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Saddness upon killing an animal
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
Yup, I get sad.  Sad that I no longer have an open tag.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Heh, yeah that too!
David M. Conroy

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
I feel that sadness sometimes as well. espically right after the harvest.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
If it don't bother you, then something's wrong. And the older I get the more I think about it. But it don't stop me from hunting, oh well.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I have some of that sadness when I kill. The kill causes me to realize I've ended the life of an animal who had a life of freedom that I can only dream about. The sense of accomplishment is accompanied by sadness of a free and wild life ended.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
I am not sad, so much as feel the hole I have put in the ecosystem.  I know the animal will be replaced, but each one has its place, and I have taken it out of the circle.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
We are a very lucky bunch to get to hunt for enjoyment as well as food, instead of hunting for sheer survival like the critters we pursue.

My thoughts exactly sir!    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
David, I think everyone feels it. I've know people that started hunting with a camera because of it. I think it shows the respect we have for the animals we hunt.

Travis

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
The same goes here and then I go into a depression because the hunt is over.
It's always the chase that drives me not the kill.
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Whether "wuss-like" or not, killing is usually, when I do it with my own "hands", a solemn thing. It was no different when I was 16 or now that I'm 57.

I love most aspects of the hunt, especially the preparation and the moments immediately before the shot. As cliche as it sounds, I kill to have hunted -- not every hunt but every season.

I tried hard-core trophy hunting in the early 1980's. I found that I was slowly losing the joy of hunting because the liklihood of my taking a shot was very remote (in fact, I didn't shoot an arrow for  two entire seasons--passed up 110 bow-range opportunities).

I find making correct decions and executing my practiced skills in a way that brings a quick kill, is a profound responsibility. In fact, that "fear" of messing up is what I think "buck fever" is for me. It's not missing the animal, spooking it, etc. it's the real possibility, no matter how competent I am, that things will go badly.

I don't attribute human emotions or characteristics to the animals I hunt. I know there is a huge difference in me and the deer, etc. I pursue. However, my duty is to be a proper steward of creation and I take that role seriously.

All things will die. To die from a hunter's arrow is one of the quickest ways this can happen for our prey.

When I see someone "cuss" or claim "victory" over the animal they've shot, it bothers me greatly. However, I know it is just a sign of immaturity for most.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
It just says you have an appreciation of life.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted.

by Jose Ortega Y Gasset
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
what you expressed in your post comes from wisdom, david; and respect.  and i respect you for saying it.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
im never said for killing the animal im after. Im out thier to take it and im happy when i do. i enjoy its meat and use what ever i find a use for.

only time ill feel bad is if i injured it and it suffered for a long time
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
That twinge of remorse just means you are a normal person. I've looked over my mounts and photos occasionally and have had the same thoughts as you. Why did I hunt these wonderful animals? To immerse myself into their world and learn their ways and then harvest one to feed my family. I tanned their hides and mounted their antlers so I could honor them and relive those days. Even the remorse.
Heck, I could have gone to the grocery store and bought some meat and rubbed elbows with the remorseless masses who want their meat to be bloodless.
Member NCBA

Offline findbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I have some saddes,I've ended the life of an animal.When I no longer fill sadden I will become a killer not a hunter.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I know how you feel .
I hunt even more now ... but drop the string less.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Whittler:
If it don't bother you, then something's wrong. And the older I get the more I think about it. But it don't stop me from hunting, oh well.
Really? Come on, man, thats pretty presumptious. I don't think any different after a harvest while hunting than I do after killing and butchering chickens out of the yard. This means that somethings wrong with me?
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©