3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Saddness upon killing an animal  (Read 846 times)

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Saddness upon killing an animal
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
I think if more of us felt a little remorse it would be good. I've had those feelings from the first deer I shot 21 years ago and while I still get it, I have no regrets nor do I need to make excuses. Hunted wild game is the ultimate "organic" meat.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
I gotta be real honest.  I have never felt sad after killing something.  Never remorse.  I'm almost always thrilled and thankful and fulfilled.  But not sad.  I don't believe that means there is "something wrong" with me or that I am not "normal" or that I am "a killer not a hunter".

There are many paths out there and destinations are arrived at from many points.  Absolutes are uncomfortable.  Labels are almost universally inaccurate.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Sure.  A deer is a magnificient creature and there is regret in it's death.  But I do my best to make it quick and clean.  I thank God and apologize to the deer.

I caught a mouse tonight in the garage that was still alive but barely.  Even though I have no love for mice I said "sorry, guy" and ended his suffering.  Didn't stop me from resetting the trap.

We have raised meat goats (Boers).  They are nearly as smart as dogs and as personable, and when it's time to take that last ride I feel kind of miserable - but that's their lot in life and I treated them well up 'till then.  Though I admit I spend a lot of time watching them and imagining where the arrow should go.  ;-)

Bowhunting isn't catch-and-release.  I love and admire whitetail - but as preditor they are prey.  Respected prey.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
The worst part about hunting is the death of the animal. However, it is a good thing, because we need, and our children need, to be aware of what it costs for us all to have meat on the table. Those of you who grew up on farms don't normally have to be reminded. However, we all need to be reminded from time to time that creatures, along w/ all creation, are a stewardship committed to us by God. For that reason we should always be respectful.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Bowwild said it for me very well in his first sentence. I kill to have hunted or I would carry a camera. I always feel a bit sad for the life I have just taken.  I have the utmost respect for the animals I hunt and owe them that much! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I've never felt truly sad, on the hoof or on my plate it is how it should be.  Mostly I feel relieved and happy it ended quickly and I have a pile of meat that is as healthy and clean as there ever was.

In fact I feel more saddened by buying grocery store "proxy killed" meat...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Never felt sadness or a bit of remorse after a clean kill. If I did, I would not do it. However, I would also never judge those feeling differently to not be normal or to be wrong as some seem to need to claim everytime this topic is brought up. It's a personal reaction that is neither right or wrong.

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
I have never felt sadness after killing an animal.  I'm sure I'm not normal (my kids let me know that all the time) but it has nothing to do with the fact that I feel no remorse after a kill.  If so I'd be crying every night while slicing into a bacon wrapped grilled piece of elk backstrap or ripping a delicious lightly breaded and fried quail breast from the bone.  I have always felt that hunting and killing game gives man a deep respect for life.  But why should we be sad to kill and eat God's creatures He has given us for nourishment?  I don't get it!

Mike

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 03:30:00 AM »
I always have a touch of sadness no matter the animal, especially if it is an animal that has busted me before, the smarter and wilier they are the more I respect them.

Call it what you will sadness, respect, appreciation, whatever that feeling is, as I said to someone recently that the day I feel nothing after a kill is the day I will give up hunting.

Offline caleb0100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
In my opinion, there is a difference between a little sadness, and regret.

I think it is normal to feel a little sadness after ending a creature's life. Having a sense of recognition that something has taken it's last breath because of your direct actions, is something we all feel, JUST IN VARYING DEGREES. I believe this is true whether shooting a deer with stickbow, or butchering a chicken. I think these feelings go away after a time has passed.

But feeling a sense of regret is not something we all feel when we hunt. Unless if we were to kill something the wrong way. Or did something that conflicts with our inner concience. Regret is something that stays with you. If I felt regret over killing something while hunting, I would stop hunting.  JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Yea I feel kind of bad when I kill something,thats part of the reason I use traditional equiptment,I want to give the animal as much of a chance as possible and still be hunting.
I no-longer gun hunt and gave up my compound over 20 years ago,I dont think they give animals a fair chance.
michael schingeck

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
everybody's different, and that's probably a good thing.

i find no sadness or remorse in killing an animal.  it is a human birthright, part of our dna to survive, just as it is within the animal community.  

and so, i respect the critter.  it's demise is all part of the circle of life.  

to think otherwise, to ponder philosophical, is the curse of humanity i s'pose.  

when a hawk kills and eats a squirrel, there is no sadness or remorse that the bird feels, only a full stomach and continued life.  

so be it with humans, for we need sustenance to continue our lives and ingesting animal protein is a necessary part of our circle of life - whether butchered slaughterhouse beef acquired over the counter at the supermart or wild venison from afield with a well placed sharp broadhead.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
This is all very touching. We have finally gotten in touch with our feminine side.      :help:

I would like to add to this after reading Rob's post above. That was refreshing. There are posts going on on about every hunting forum about the use of harvest or kill, being sad, etc, etc... Myself I find this disturbing. We are doing nothing wrong by hunting and killing animals if we are obeying the laws of the land and there is nothing to be sad about.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
I think you captured the truest emotions of hunting with your description. Very well said.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
Yea I dont understand why having respect for animals we hunt and kill makes us less of a man.

I dont think anybody is saying that there is somthing wrong with killing an animal only that they feel that the animal they just killed is no longer out there to hunt,I have no problems killing animals,I have killed over 50 Whitetail bucks but I still feel a-little sadness everytime I kill one, I dont think it makes me less of a man.There are other guys that can play the macho role.
michael schingeck

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
It s encouraging to hear so many "get it".

When taking another life has no meaning, what does that say about us?

I will always be a hunter and love to hunt. But I always have felt I had better honor what I have taken.

It took some killing for me to arrive at that realization. I was young at the time, but I was fortunate to have a good mentor (Dad) who did not treat killing like a game.

It was part of his larger philosophy to give value to the animals we hunted, rather than relegating them to mere objects for our pleasure only. My Dad never made a big deal about it, but by his actions lent meaning to the event.

He certainly never dismissed a mans having feelings as feminine. Nor having the ability to ponder philosophical questions a curse.

Joshua

Edit: I sound have added I agree with Rob's point about us all being different ie,
 Its all good.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
I SECOND WHAT ROB,AND HEYDEERMAN,WROTE...ALSO, THE TOPIC THAT HAS BEEN DISCUSSED IS CLEARLY DESCRIBED IN ,PRIMAL DREAMS....
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
I can't imagine anyone not feeling a bit of remorse in taking the life of one of God's creatures. If a person takes delight in inflicting pain on anything I would suggest that they seek counciling. We have received a valuable gift from God,that being his creation. And since Adam have been put in a position of stewardship over the creatures of the earth. These animals are to be used by man for food and warmth and adornment which glorifys God. There is nothing wrong with our hunting them for the proper reasons,and certainly nothing wrong for having a sensitivity toward their suffering. Thats why we work so hard at getting and making ethical shots. We do need to be careful though in regards to the animals and not place them in a higher place of standing then where God created them to be. That is the main problem with the animal rights people,they want to worship the created instead of the creator. Thats backwards and wrong in every respect.

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
bowtough,I agree with you 100%,
michael schingeck

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
If you didn't feel some remorse for the taking of a life, then you would have the character to belong to a group like this one.
I too feel remorse, however, I thank the Lord for providing me with the animal to harvest, and the skill to do it.
Thanks for sharing your feelings.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©