3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Saddness upon killing an animal  (Read 847 times)

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Saddness upon killing an animal
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Well said bowtough.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by bowtough:
I can't imagine anyone not feeling a bit of remorse in taking the life of one of God's creatures. If a person takes delight in inflicting pain on anything I would suggest that they seek counciling. We have received a valuable gift from God,that being his creation. And since Adam have been put in a position of stewardship over the creatures of the earth. These animals are to be used by man for food and warmth and adornment which glorifys God. There is nothing wrong with our hunting them for the proper reasons,and certainly nothing wrong for having a sensitivity toward their suffering. Thats why we work so hard at getting and making ethical shots. We do need to be careful though in regards to the animals and not place them in a higher place of standing then where God created them to be. That is the main problem with the animal rights people,they want to worship the created instead of the creator. Thats backwards and wrong in every respect.
i don't pretend to know the meaning of life, but i do know what it takes to continue life.  

when i take a life, i give thanx to its spirit that it was there for me to harvest, that it gave itself to me in order that i and mankind may continue, at its expense.  

i respect what i kill.  i make solid efforts to hunt with my personal understanding of both ethics and fair chase.  

there is no remorse or sadness, there is only the circle of life, and both the hunter and hunted are eternally enmeshed in that drama.  

there is no good or bad, there is only who we are, where we came from, where we are going.  no more or less.

if one feels some form of anguish or animal empathy in the act of killing animals to eat, one should think seriously about not participating.  

if one feels disturbed in any way about consuming animal products, one might find relief by becoming a vegan.  better that than to despise hunting and yet hypocritically consume slaughter house animals.  

we all have choices.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
JHB hit it on the head!! As far as my feminine side well we can discuss that anothor time, hopefully in person!! There is a huge difference between us and the hawk that just killed a squirrel or another bird, we as humans have the knowledge and understanding of what it means to take a life in whatever form. I have no problem killing have done more than most people ever will, but for one to say we should not feel something for that  animal, well that is your right, but "it doesn't make it right!"  Good discussion, makes me think about my fellow hunters and see some in a new light. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Im about as sad when I kill  as a wolf is when he kills. With that said, I dont take my killing lightly.An animal did lose its life at my hands against its will, I dont believe that they gift it to me when Im worthy. Its just the way it is for me and the animal, it was meant to be since both of our births.And I do think about every second of the animals life and the challenges its mother, herd, father, flock or whatever persevered  to get it up to the second where it lost its life to me and I respect all of that more than I could ever put into words.
        I dont hold sadness against anyone, I certainly dont call it a feminine side, I even respect it as I believe its important to be conscious of the seriousness of killing and be aware of how you feel about it. Its just not where I am right now, perhaps further down the trail Ill feel remorse.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
The sadness or remorse is a sign of your respect for life.

And not wanting that feeling is a good reason to decide not to hunt. We're all different.

If we were all killing to SURVIVE I bet there would be less remorse. Maybe not totally gone ..but less.

Personally I believe that a person that feels no remorse,sorrow or other similar emotion when killing either hasn't fully considered what just happened or is " a little off"
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Each person is different as to how they feel upon killing an animal.  I feel something, but I don't know if remorse or guilt is the correct terminology for it.  I do respect the animal and try to demonstrate that thruout the entire process.

I think that we as humans, who have a soul or self, sometimes try to equate that to animals.  May be part of our curse of being a higher being.  Animals don't "suffer" as we know it.  They can't sit back and think "This is the worst I have felt", as they don't have a soul or self.  We can do that, we can analyze our situation and therefore, we can suffer.  An animal either feels pain or no pain, nothing more, nothing less.  As humans, it's our job to be good stewards over what God has given us.  Hunting and all that entails, leading up to a quick, clean kill is part of stewardship.  God willing, I hope to be a steward for many more years to come.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Humans have the ability to empathize with other living beings, human or otherwise.  It's one of the things that makes us human.  What you are feeling is respect for the animal.

I'm not sure I feel sadness when I kill an animal, but I am at a loss to come up with a better word.  I enjoy all aspects of hunting, but I don't actually enjoy watching them die.  The transition from alive to dead is something I have never liked to witness, but it is a part of the process and to ignore it would be like burying your head in the sand.  Whatever I am killing, whether it's shooting a sick horse, shooting the coyote that comes into the yard, or the woodchuck digging under the foundation, or trapping the mouse in the basement, I want to end its life as quickly and cleanly as possible.  I hate to see things suffer, even as I am trying to kill them.  

It's complicated and difficult to describe, but it's part of life.  Things die so others can live.  Every deer or game animal we kill means one less animal in a factory farm.  The deer living a natural life, and then receiving a quick death from a responsible hunter, is about as good a death as a wild animal can expect.  The natural ways they die are usually a lot less quick and clean.

The fact that we are aware of our own mortality means we are also aware of others, both human and non-human.  This is a good thing IMO.

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
i guess thats why GOD made us the altimate predator? because we are the only predator with a conscious. we can kill every animal we see without a blink of the eye or we can be  conservationists and continue to hunt but give back more than we take. By the way it isnt wrong to feel sad you are human

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:
I gotta be real honest.  I have never felt sad after killing something.  Never remorse.  I'm almost always thrilled and thankful and fulfilled.  But not sad.  I don't believe that means there is "something wrong" with me or that I am not "normal" or that I am "a killer not a hunter".

There are many paths out there and destinations are arrived at from many points.  Absolutes are uncomfortable.  Labels are almost universally inaccurate.
My words exactly!!  No remorse, just joy.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
What I am about to say is my own personal opinion on this subject. I am a believer in Christ and I believe men are stewards of the earth. The animals were created for man in the beginning. After the flood they were given to eat. They are food. Conservation is being a good steward of the earth. Not over killing and obeying the laws of the land are part of that.

I killed 2 deer this past season with a bow and arrow. I felt elated with both kills. I shot my bow on any and every occasion during the off season to be accurate. I scouted, picked stand locations, and prepared everything I could for the shot. All that payed off. I beat those deer on their home turf. Not an easy task and I had good reason to be not sad. I see some of the guys with kill pics in their avatars on this thread and they don't look sad either.

Wounding animals is a sad thing but it is also inevitable and if you hunt long enough you will put a non lethal hit on an animal. You will have to deal with that in your own way. That has caused some to give up hunting altogether.

I make no bones or try to candy coat what I do. I do not harvest. I am not a farmer, I am a hunter. I kill. If you hunt that's what you do.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Now Jim my friend,that is well said.  :thumbsup:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Cold Weather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
I only hunt animals that I will eat.  I have felt for the animal and admit in the off season, when I go out stump shooting with my bow I really enjoy seeing deer, rabbits, etc out in the woods.
Fox High Sierra
Wes Wallace Mentor
Palmer Custom Carbon
Jim Brackenbury Drifter
21 Century Earth Longbow

Offline head_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Here are my thoughts on this subject, My first reaction to shooting an animal is a highly elevated state of excitement (adrenaline rush). I then go into the state of I hope my shot was good enough and that the animal is not suffering. Once the tracking job is over and my quarry is in my hands my emotions turn to a state of remorse. I believe I feel this way because I know I have to do my part in the conservation of the animals but at the same time I have such a high respect and admiration for the animals and I know that the animal I just put down will never be seen again in it's natural environment. Anyone that hunts with me, Which is a very few people, know that I have to find the animals by myself and drag them out by myself. This sounds stupid but I feel this is my time to spend with the animal and pay my respects. I also say Thank You to them after the harvest. After this I am back to the excited phase and take pictures for my scrap book which I keep a picture of every animal harvested. This is so that when I get older I can look back and remember the day like it just happened. Just my two cents
There's more to hunting than taking a trophy.......Enjoy everything the woods have to offer

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Since I started this, I'd like to just get in a couple points that some guys aren't quite picking up. I think most guys get what I'm saying.

Number one, I dont want or choose to feel sad. I just do. Not fall on the ground crying my eyes out sad, just a feeling in the old gut. But I'm not saying I wish I wasn't sad either. Its how I am, take it or leave it.
Number two, I don't expect anyone else to feel it just because I do. If you do you do, if not then you don't. Never judged anybody, there is some "defense" stuff going on. Chill out boys, no big deal. I was just speaking my mind to the masses after admiring one of my deer from years ago.
No need to fight about it.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©