3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone else draw blood.......their own?  (Read 550 times)

Offline OrTrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone else draw blood.......their own?
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Many years ago, when the cedar shaft just exploded, leaving my 55lb. Howatt Hunter, it was quite a surprise.  There was no pain but moments later my thumb felt stiff. Sure enought the shaft had entered my thumb between the bone and skin.

Later explaining why I was late for work, they were amazed to hear I'd actually shot myself with an arrow.  Yes, check your arrows EVERY time.
Howatt Hunter #55
Bear Kodiac Magnum #72
Samick #60

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone else draw blood.......their own?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Welcome to tradgang sir!   :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
never had that happen. just cuts from broadheads
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Welcome to the 'Gang, from a fellow Oregonian living a long ways from home!    :wavey:

Offline OrTrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
Whoa, excessively far from home.  Thanks guys for the welcome. I'm just an old codger who started slinging cedar about 40yrs. ago.
Howatt Hunter #55
Bear Kodiac Magnum #72
Samick #60

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Years ago I had found some old wood arrows at the archery range and was shooting a lemmonwood bow with no shelf. One of the feathers came off and went into my hand, it stung like fire. In those days you didn't go to the doctor for minor things so when my Dad got home from work he removed the feather with needle nose pliars and a razor blade. A little proxide and I was good to go.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
This was probably a decade ago, but I was hunting with my #55 DH Hunter (hrm - a pattern?) with a buddy.  Reached back into my hip quiver to get a broadhead and zipped my index finger (shooting hand) right down the blade.

Spent the next 4-5 hours squeezing the cut closed (you *can* draw the bow with only your middle and ring fingers - two under - but it's not pretty) while the hunt continued.  When we were done hunting, my buddy and I stopped at the ER and I got 6-7 stitches.

It's a blood sport, right?   :D

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I can come out now!!....30+ yrs ago, i had a Stemmler kids bow.  not really knowing how to shoot, I had the arrow on the right shelf shooting right handed.  Well, the cedar arrow was split and it caught my thumb...right between the artery and the bone!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
About 50 years ago the lad who got me started in archery had a arrow explode on release. Went in his forearm and came out the back of his wrist. Thankfully I wasn't there to see it.

I was mounting a MA3 broadhead using a pair of needlenose pliars. The pliars slipped off and I got the MA3 in the base of my thumb and the web of my right hand.

Hap

Offline whitetail_downer100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
I have had a few arrows explode and constantly cut myself with broadheads while testing there sharpness... perhaps slowing down a little would do me some good.
-Captain Logan A. Giger-
USMC
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... but sometimes thats ok"

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
While pulling a razor sharp STOS tipped cedar out of a broadhead target, the arrow hung up for an unknown reason while I  pulled it through the other side. The arrow had penetrated into the target up to the fletch. I increased the pressure trying to pull it free and it let go right into my thigh. Half of the head was in my leg. To make it worse when I looked up my wife was standing there with a huge smile on her face. She got alot of milage on that one, As she should have.     :knothead:

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Mounting a stos broadhead on a woodie and the arrow slippend and the BH went into my web of my hand and reached my bone. I tell you what a 3:1 ratio head penetrates very ver well.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
I get to tell two stories.  The first is on myself and the second concerns a well known outfitter.  I was hunting elk in unit 7W here in AZ.  Kendrick Peak is a volcano 10,000+ feet high it sits in the middle of the Kendrick Peak Wilderness [surprise] I managed to shoot a nice 6x6 on the back side where it is pretty steep.  To make a long story short I slipped while I was cutting it up and stuck myself.  I spent the rest of the day hauling it out.  When I had it all in the cooler I headed into Flagstaff to get stitched up.  I'm there in the ER waiting for my turn talking to the staff and they tell me I'm the second bowhunter they've seen today.  They also tell me that I didn't do nearly as good a job on myself as Blah Blah Blah he ran the knife clear thru his thigh.  They tried to keep him for observation but he had clients waiting so had to leave.

Sharp tools are less dangerous than dull ones!  Except when we shoot them.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
Well... there was this one time my girlfriend caught me buying a new bow.   :D
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
My brother shot what had to have been a fractured cedar arrow when we were kids and it shattered and went into the back of his bow hand. My dad dug out the splinters and several weeks later another piece of wood came out. My brother never cared to shoot bows after that but I never quit shooting. That was 47 years ago. I have managed several times to cut myself sharpening broadheads though.

Offline wildwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Kawiika b, now thats funny
delivered by grace

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
I witnessed an arrow break when a bunch was shooting at a running deer target. No one was hurt but one part of the arrow nearly hit the backstop that the target runner was hiding behind!

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Don't walk around the house with shap broadheads without a cover.  I did, to give some freshly sharpened stuff to my brother in law and caught a nock on a door facing.  Pierced my femoral vien dead center vertically.  I damn near bled to death...  Put the story up here, it was several years ago.  Vascular Dr. said if the BH had been turned 3-5 deg either way I would have cut the vein in two.. OVER...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
About 40 something years ago I was stalking with a arrow on the string holding it down by my side. I tripped on a vine and the bear razor head went through my camo britches (blue jeans) and into the back of my leg . i reached down and grabbed my leg when I found out that it had cut a spirter .

In my late teens I was stalking with a arrow on the string holding it down to my side. I tripped on a vine ,the bear razor head it cut through my hunting britches (blue jeans) and into the back of my calf. By the time I found out that I was going to leave a blood trail a bow hunter would be proud of my shoe was full. I applied pressure to the wound with one hand and cut up my tee shirt with the other wrapped it up tight walked real slow home . It was Late when I got home but i was not bleeding . Did'nt want to worry my mother I just went to bed. the next morning I unwraped my leg and it started bleeding like a stuck hog . A trip to the doctor was needed. about the only pain was when he burnt the artery . Something not right about smoke coming out your leg. If it had came unrapped during the night I would be Hunting in the HAPPY HUNTING GROUNDS.

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Sorry about the error same story twice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©