3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone else draw blood.......their own?  (Read 548 times)

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone else draw blood.......their own?
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
About 40 something years ago I was stalking with a arrow on the string holding it down by my side. I tripped on a vine and the bear razor head went through my camo britches (blue jeans) and into the back of my leg . i reached down and grabbed my leg when I found out that it had cut a spirter .

In my late teens I was stalking with a arrow on the string holding it down to my side. I tripped on a vine ,the bear razor head it cut through my hunting britches (blue jeans) and into the back of my calf. By the time I found out that I was going to leave a blood trail a bow hunter would be proud of my shoe was full. I applied pressure to the wound with one hand and cut up my tee shirt with the other wrapped it up tight walked real slow home . It was Late when I got home but i was not bleeding . Did'nt want to worry my mother I just went to bed. the next morning I unwraped my leg and it started bleeding like a stuck hog . A trip to the doctor was needed. about the only pain was when he burnt the artery . Something not right about smoke coming out your leg. If it had came unrapped during the night I would be Hunting in the HAPPY HUNTING GROUNDS.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
we were on a 3-d course an having a good time shootin the sh@t laughing as we always do .an a guy in our group didnot realize his woodie split when he missed the target.on his next shot it blew up an ran into his shooting hand. it was bad. I went home an ordered a glove from 3 rivers. CHECK THEM WHEN THEY HIT THE DIRT!!!! a fun day can end quick.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Never had that happen, Glad your ok. Welcome to the gang.   :campfire:
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
A friend of mine had a carbon arrow blow up on release. It went through his thumb and index finger. That was about 8 years ago and he still has carbon splinters in his, thumb, index finger and palm. He also does not have much feeling in his tthumb.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Huntschool:
Don't walk around the house with shap broadheads without a cover.  I did, to give some freshly sharpened stuff to my brother in law and caught a nock on a door facing.  Pierced my femoral vien dead center vertically.  I damn near bled to death...  Put the story up here, it was several years ago.  Vascular Dr. said if the BH had been turned 3-5 deg either way I would have cut the vein in two.. OVER...
I think I remember reading that when I first came here... gives me shivers thinking about it.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
My brother-in-law was sneaking up over a bank to a gobbling turkey(good luck with that) and slipped and ran a broadhead through his shoulder.
He was pretty close to vehicle and everything went ok.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Huntschool:
Don't walk around the house with shap broadheads without a cover.  I did, to give some freshly sharpened stuff to my brother in law and caught a nock on a door facing.  Pierced my femoral vien dead center vertically.  I damn near bled to death...  Put the story up here, it was several years ago.  Vascular Dr. said if the BH had been turned 3-5 deg either way I would have cut the vein in two.. OVER...
:scared:    :scared:
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Still newlywed in October of 1994, I was resharpening a broadhead that was mounted perfectly on a Cedar shaft. I was sitting at my kitchen table using a file to try and remove a slight imperfection in the blade. I was holding the arrow in my left hand and using my right thigh as a platform of sorts. The nock and feathers sticking out behind me, under my left arm. I was wearing blue jeans.

My beautiful bride was fussing over dinner and moving back and forth behind me. At one piont, her clothes snagged the nock of my arrow ever so slightly, causing it to lift a bit and thrust forward. The ENTIRE Zwickey Delta dissappeared into my right thigh. The ease with which it penetrated was simply awe inspiring, and the total lack of pain was appreciated.

I calmly grabbed an identical arrow to get an idea of how far it was in my leg. Pretty much just the head was buried. Even though one side was just rough sharp, the other side was "scary".
Blood flow was instant and impressive.

I made it to the bath tub, carefully holding the
arrow to prevent it from moving. I removed the arrow, and then my pants. I let it bleed a bit to help clean it, and then applied pressure to curtail the bleeding. If I held pressure, it would stop bleeding, if I relaxed the pressure it would bleed...if I moved at all, it would GUSH.

Offline OrTrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Wow, my first post turned into a horror story!  Even though I have owned a bow nearly my whole life, it's never too late to learn.  I only wish when I first started there had been an excellent site like this one, to share and maybe prevent these catastrophies.  I read all the newbie material, which included basic safety, that would have prevented most of these mishaps.
Howatt Hunter #55
Bear Kodiac Magnum #72
Samick #60

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Goes to show how quick things can go really wrong.Be careful!!
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
Welcome. Haven't had anything that bad happen.....yet! Few razor head nicks, and a few from fletchings, that's about it.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 02:10:00 AM »
Welcome to Tradgang.I have too cut myself with broadheads.

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 02:48:00 AM »
In the 70's used to use broadheads that had replaceable blades made from cut-down injector razor blades. You had to load the blades into slots, and then secure them by turning 2 split rings to the next slot and loading the next blade. Friday nights I would load new blades onto the heads that I shot at targets that week. Saturday mornings I would hunt with bandaids on my fingers. Made holding & drawing the bow a thrill.
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bonebuster:
Still newlywed in October of 1994, I was resharpening a broadhead that was mounted perfectly on a Cedar shaft. I was sitting at my kitchen table using a file to try and remove a slight imperfection in the blade. I was holding the arrow in my left hand and using my right thigh as a platform of sorts. The nock and feathers sticking out behind me, under my left arm. I was wearing blue jeans.

My beautiful bride was fussing over dinner and moving back and forth behind me. At one piont, her clothes snagged the nock of my arrow ever so slightly, causing it to lift a bit and thrust forward. The ENTIRE Zwickey Delta dissappeared into my right thigh. The ease with which it penetrated was simply awe inspiring, and the total lack of pain was appreciated.

I calmly grabbed an identical arrow to get an idea of how far it was in my leg. Pretty much just the head was buried. Even though one side was just rough sharp, the other side was "scary".
Blood flow was instant and impressive.

I made it to the bath tub, carefully holding the
arrow to prevent it from moving. I removed the arrow, and then my pants. I let it bleed a bit to help clean it, and then applied pressure to curtail the bleeding. If I held pressure, it would stop bleeding, if I relaxed the pressure it would bleed...if I moved at all, it would GUSH.
Again,    :scared:      :scared: !
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
My wife wants me to let everyone know that "it" was NOT her fault. She had told me a few minutes before that "the kitchen table was no place to sharpen an arrow".  :readit:  

One thing the experience taught me was that a six or seven hundred grain arrow, flying 170-180 fps would find very little resistance when it met human skin.   :D  

Bonebuster is my call name here, but "bonehead" fits too!

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Years ago when I was in my xbow phase and just starting out I buried a bolt into a foam block and I couldn't pull that sucker out.....brainstorm flip block over put one foot on block and pull out, worked great except my other hand was right at entrane hole cut the web between index and thumb. Thought I was going to bleed to death, damn xbow....lol

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Years ago when I was in my xbow phase and just starting out I buried a bolt into a foam block and I couldn't pull that sucker out.....brainstorm flip block over put one foot on block and pull out, worked great except my other hand was right at entrane hole cut the web between index and thumb. Thought I was going to bleed to death, damn xbow....lol

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
I left my own blood trail to my stand one morning when I reached back to grab my quiver. One of my paper wheel sharpend Zwickey Deltas bit me.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
Likewise, I had a Cedar arrow explode on me when shooting at a 3-D tournament a few years ago.  The bow string grabbed my arm at the top of the bicep and drug downward to the inside below the elbow.  Left a nasty bruise for days.  Not as nasty as some written above but cause for me to check my cedars before shoot'in 'em.

Stay safe.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
I think the trend of the thread here is that we need to ever dilligent when working with our equipment.

In my case It was pure accident but I should not have been walking around with exposed BH's no matter what.  I am a master Hunter Saf. Inst and push this on students every year.

Check your arrows and watch the BH's.  Always work on BH's in a controled area.  My wife and I have an agreement... when I am sharpening BH's she stays out of the room and keeps anyone else (the cat) out also.

As was the "line" on Hill Street Blues years ago... "Lets be carful out there."
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©