3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BBO?  (Read 887 times)

Offline olderndirt

• Trad Bowhunter
BBO?
« on: January 11, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
Working on a Dryad blank to make a 40# bow.  Problem is when I use the 3/8  facet suggested in the Dryad video my facet runs out at midlimb since the limb is less than 3/8 thick (back to belly)at that point. Should I proceed to tiller that way or should I use a smaller dimension on the thickness to run the facet further out the limb.  Hope this makes sense to those of you who have a suggestion.   :confused:
I'm not lost ... I'm exploring alternative destinations

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BBO?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
I think if you replay the beginning of the video Mike says the 3/8 is for a 50-55 lb bow. I don't remember if he says what the dimension is for a lighter bow. Hope that helps!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
Older -- Mike would be the best guy to answer your question.  However, my experience with this tiller method is that once the two facet lines coincide you run your line straight down the middle of the belly.  This generally occurs in the last five inches or so of a Dryad blank -- but may occur earlier in the limb with a lighter poundage design.  

If it were me I would wait until I made contact with Mike before I went too far...
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
Bill,

Have you cut in the facets at 3/8"?

If so, how is it bending on the floor?

That bow is so light I'm thinking it will be bending pretty good and you can go forward to getting the long string on.

Sorry about the delay, we finally got back and settled from our AZ trip.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline olderndirt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Mike
I knew that you were in AZ ... so I didn't expect a reply ... I was just hoping that someone here had the same problem and knew your solution.

Anyway ... yes I have cut the facets to 3/8" and they extend 12" up the belly before the limb is so thin back to belly that they run out.  My concern is that the bow is still pretty stiff for it's intended weight on the floor. I'd like to get it bending better before the long string.
 Thanks ... Bill
I'm not lost ... I'm exploring alternative destinations

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©