3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: coyotes  (Read 814 times)

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
coyotes
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
I just got off the phone with a friend from columbus ohio who said that one of his friends had a trail camera up this year over a coyote den, and he has pics of 13 different fawns that were drug to that den.He said that he was going to take it to the ODNR fish and game officers to let them see the different dates on the pics. If this Is true our deer heard is in serious trouble.. If we want to continue to hunt deer we better be hunting more coyotes!!!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: coyotes
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
I love to hunt/shoot coyotes but you're not gonna do any serious damage to the 'yote population by just hunting them. They're way too sharp for us to get them in any numbers that would put any dent in the population. Trapping may be the only thing that has any remote chance of doing anything to their numbers, and even it isn't easy. The U.S. government has tried everything under the sun  and spent millions of dollars to keep coyote numbers down but to no avail. They're here to stay and multiply and kill and eat.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Ouch!

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
DEER KILLERS FOR SURE...
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
That is nature doing it's thing. Trapping is a great tool for population control, but that can take a bit of work. Hunting helps, but won't make a big difference. We will be living with this for years to come. All you can do is do your best at nabbing them.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:46:00 AM »
Hunting them with a bow is fun but not very productive,They are the only animal I hunt with a gun anymore,I usually kill around 6 to 10 every year and in the last 15 years I have killed 85 but it dont seem to have affected their population at all.They are here to stay.
michael schingeck

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
Look at Cory Van Gilders coyote/predation study. It is astonishing.
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
Can't begin to count the number of times I have heard the stories of a coyote "den" camera with similar reports of photographic eveidence. And despite countless requests to see these photo's, not one has ever been presented. Would love to see them.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Trap 'em. There are more there than you think. This is from one weeks worth of snares on one farm.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Coyotes are as efficient a killing machine as there is.

Before plowing the field in the background,the rancher went around to gather up debris.This is a picture of the remains of 26 antelope and mule deer-all coyote kills.These occurred after the end of November and were picked up in April.The field in the background is the field I hunt antelope out of.

The typical scenario is,you arrive in the morning and find a fresh kill that wasn't there at dusk,the evening before.It is a skeleton with the head and the hide is hanging off that.It looks like it was dipped in a piranha tank-all done overnite.These are yearling and adult animals.

This year when hunting antelope during August,out of app. 50 antelope present,there was only one fawn.

Don't ask me how a 35 MPH coyote catches a 60 MPH antelope but they do and almost any time they want to.They are smart and adapt.They regularly hunt in pairs or groups of 4-5 and can coordinate their efforts.I have seen a pair hunting rabbits several times and they coordinated like rabbit hunters.

I have the greatest respect for coyotes but kill every one I get a chance to.Ishoot4thrills nailed it.They are so resilient that you really have to take out every one you can anytime you can,if you care about your hunting.Don't worry,you can't make them extinct.The Indians said they will be the last creatures on earth.There is a lot of wisdom in that.

I trap them mostly but I think it is important to combine that with calling and incidental shooting.They will get smarter with pressure.

Fawns are just the candy.Coyotes take whatever they can get and when they really need the calories,adult deer and antelope are the ticket.

Around urban areas,they regularly hunt pets.When I lived in Reno,NV,several times when we went to the foothills to shoot our bows after work,we would see coyotes coming out of the hills,headed towards the housing and apartment developements.The bulletin board at my apartment developement always had notices and pictures of lost cats.If there is a meal,coyotes will find it.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
This adult buck antelope was killed in the same field,about the 1st of November.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
I recommend that anyone do a search for "coyote" before posting here.  If for nothing other than fun.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Hydrasport- I doubt they are killing fawns at this time of year? Unless your talking about last years fawns, cause the whitetail haven't started dropping the new fawns yet, but it will be in another month or so depending on where you live.

I say start working on those coyotes right now before the spring fawn drop and turkey hatch. Nobody ever mentions the turkey poults, but coyotes and fox get their fair share of those also when they hatch. Opossums and coons also raid the nests and will eat ever single egg when they find them.

I know coyotes do their share of killing, but lots of other critters will take their toll as well.
Around here the quail are all but non existent, and I'm sure the deer suffer from coyote predation also, but I haven't' found any remains of animals killed by them. Only carcasses that were dumped from deer season after they were butchered and those rarely make it through the night. I dump mine right behind my house to attract them closer for an easy shot and I've dumped an entire deer carcass before right at dusk and it was nothing but bones by morning.

Even though they are sometimes a problem in certain areas, I can't help but admire their tenacity and superior survival skills. As far as predators are concerned coyotes are at the top of their game and highly efficient at it.
I'm just thankful that they don't get any bigger than they do, cause if they did humans may end up on the menu.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
There is a large pack around one area we hunt, I would say they are on a turkey diet as the numbers of turkey are way down.  I couple of years ago a member of my group was watching a group of coyotes harassing a deer. When the deer made a group of turkeys show themselves, the coyotes left the deer and went after the turkeys.  A few days later he heard the turkeys in a cedar thicket making lots of noise.  since they were not about to come to call he prepared himself to shoot a coyote.  when all of a sudden the turkeys busted for air and right behind them coming up above the cedar thicket was a mountain lion, going for a flying turkey.  he said he got out of there as fast as possible and went home to change his pants.  We have not seen the lion for a several years, I hope he stays gone, but the coyotes are thicker than ever.

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
The fawns were from last spring, and Im sure this spring will be the  same if not less due to the deer numbers going down! I dont know about the rest of you but we never heard or saw any coyotes in the late 80s- early 90s. seems like the last 15 years or so is when they really started to climb.  Now they are eveywhere!!!

Offline ammoeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
I received these in an email yesterday.  Supposedly taken on the #4 hole of the Fargo Country Club...

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
the first coyote I saw was 1968 in Hardeman county west tennessee. Shot him with a browning nomad . We were excited there was a new animal to see . People still talk about it when they see a coyote they are a little fasinating . I may not like them but their songs sure adds something to a quite dark night .

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
From what I've heard, really hard to permanently dent without extensive trapping (and even that can be undone fairly quickly).  Apparently yotes are very self-regulating on reproduction, meaning if they get knocked back they will up the litter size.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't shoot one on sight though.    :p
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Amazing pics Ammoeater!
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter