3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: coyotes  (Read 813 times)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: coyotes
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Interesting facts about a coyote study done by Dr. Kilgo in the Savannah River Plant.

Sunday, June 24, 2007COMMENTPRINTEMAIL It's difficult to peek inside the secret world of a predator and its prey, but John Kilgo has the patience to make it happen.

1 / 2

Special
This nocturnal coyote was photographed with a remote control camera at Savannah River Site. Coyotes in Georgia and South Carolina weigh an average of 28 pounds.
Click photo for optionsFor the second spring in a row, the U.S. Forest Service research biologist is using radio telemetry to determine how frequently whitetail fawns are killed and eaten by coyotes. The results, although preliminary, are disturbing.

"This year we caught and followed 22 fawns," he said. "Of those, eight were killed by coyotes, three by bobcats and one we haven't figured out yet."

The studies, conducted at Savannah River Site, are in their second year.

In 2006, Kilgo and his colleagues captured and observed just five fawns. Coyotes ate four of them.

Kilgo, who plans to continue his research at least two more years, cautions that his findings are preliminary. But he acknowledges there is mounting evidence that coyotes may affect deer populations.

In conjunction with the radio tracking studies of fawns, graduate student Josh Schrecengost has been collecting and analyzing coyote droppings at SRS for two years.

"He collected scats during two fawning seasons, with May being the biggest month, and into the first part of June," Kilgo said. "He collected scats all over the site, 30 to 40 samples each month."

The findings show coyotes eat plenty of fawns.

"From the two Mays he surveyed, 31 and 38 percent of the scats contained fawn remains, meaning roughly a third of the coyote meals are fawns," Kilgo said. "That's starting to look kind of compelling."

Although coyotes prefer fawns during fawning season, the bulk of their complex diet is fruit.

"Even during fawning season, fawns are not the No. 1 food item," he said. "It's wild plums in May, blackberries in June and black cherries in July. In August they eat pokeweed, and in September, they're after persimmons."

The evidence that expanding coyote populations account for expanding deer mortality could become a cause of concern for wildlife managers.

"In the Southeast, since coyotes have been here, the general consensus from the deer biology community has been that they're not a problem," Kilgo said. "For a long time the region has had more deer than it needs, so it's been viewed as coyotes helping control the population."

Today, however, the coyote's growing numbers could be linked to reductions in deer density, but more research is needed.

"In some areas there are still too many deer, but in other areas we're seeing fewer and fewer deer," said Kilgo, adding that South Carolina and SRS are down significantly.

Future studies could help unravel the extent to which coyotes affect deer herds, Kilgo said. Coyotes first appeared in the SRS area in the 1980s and became widespread and common by the mid-'90s.

"After that they really took off, and whether they've leveled off in the last few years or are still increasing, we don't know yet," he said. "The bottom line is, we have a lot of coyotes now that we didn't have 15 years ago, and that increase in coyotes - concurrent with the decrease in deer - is what motivated the study."

Reach Rob Pavey at (706) 868-1222, ext. 119, or [email protected].

PRELIMINARY FINDINGS

- This spring, scientists studied 22 newborn fawns; eight were eaten by coyotes, three by bobcats and one died of unknown causes.

- Last summer, four of five fawns studied were killed by coyotes, but the sample was deemed too small to be conclusive.

- About one-third of coyote droppings collected at SRS in May 2006 and May 2007 contained fawn remains.

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Well when you think about it the deer ain't all ours.. Coyotes gotta eat to, and wolves and bears and cougars and wolverines etc  :)
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Thats Life,,,,,who are we to command all, we are just part of the puzzle not the entire puzzle. Soon as we accept how we fit in and how we can be a part of nature, the better. Good for the Coyote, I bet he was hungry.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
When I first started hunting in Michigan,(1978) coyotes were an animal of the desert southwest.
Skinny and frail. They ate mostly mice. We never spoke of coyotes here in Michigan, because there was no need.

I shot THREE, yesterday evening from my back porch. A female, and two males...the female was in heat. The female was 38 lbs and the two males were a tad larger. My wife just happened to catch them out the window, and they were paying more attention to each other than me.  :D  

They are an invasive species in many areas that they now thrive. Chances are, the coyote will change your hunting in the near future.

I hope my last statement turns out to be completely wrong.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
Out west here we have been hunting and trapping them, for over a hundred years. Guess what they are still here. They can survive just about any where.

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by SveinD:
Well when you think about it the deer ain't all ours.. Coyotes gotta eat to, and wolves and bears and cougars and wolverines etc   :)  [/QUOTE

I agree 100% but there numbers need to be regulated. The population of coyotes  here are way up and bout three of us has around 10000 acres to manage and its tuff to keep the numbers where there not so much a problem . We've killed around 40 the past 8-10 months and still see them a little more often than I like. I'm finally seeing rabbits again so I guess were helping the matter thou!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 05:02:00 AM »
You want to control Coyote's......get Wolves, the proven Coyote killer. I agree  that for the most part to expect hunters to manage the numbers of coyotes is sort of like expecting hunters to manage the hog population. It comes down to a numbers game and an animals will to survive on a daily basis. Most of do not get the chance to hunt 365 days a year, they do.
Downstate here in NY we have plenty of Coyotes and a ample of opportunity to hunt them, no bag limits and a long season, Oct 1 - March 27. But we still have a large population of them and they have adapted to living close to dense population very well, better than chipmunks.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 05:40:00 AM »
When the end comes 2 things will survive cockroaches and Coyotes .
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »
There seems to be a huge amount of study/information on coyotes and their negative impact on some of our favorite game animals. I truly believe this is largely true. There is an underlying thought in the back of my mind that makes me second guess it just a bit (in my area that is). On any given day with fresh snow, old snow or no snow I could search long and hard and not likely find a kill site. I'm not sure about you guys, obviously out west they are really doing a bit of damage; however where I am I have yet to personally see deer and coyote tracks cross.  Any thoughts on that?
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
I think Bonebuster said it well. coyotes will change our hunting!

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
we snared 13 and killed 8 and they are stil all over here in western ohio we got a nuisance permit to continue trapping them so hopefully we will put a big dent in them
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
The coyote population is growing because the deer population has grown. Predator levels are in direct relation to the availability of prey species. There weren't that many deer back in the 60's and 70's but conservation efforts have allowed the whitetail population to rebound from near extinction from market hunting before regulated seasons were implemented. Now there are an over abundance of deer in many states, and to the point that most states offer multiple antlerless tags or even unlimited tags in some areas.
So actually more deer = more coyotes.

Just do your part to keep numbers in check by taking out every coyote you have the oppurtunity to and mother nature will balance out the rest.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
I think the auto insurance companies are planting coyotes.   :D
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
I think the auto insurance companies are planting coyotes.    :D  
They are dropping them from helicopters with little blanket sized parachutes.   :biglaugh:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:
The coyote population is growing because the deer population has grown. Predator levels are in direct relation to the availability of prey species.
My thoughts exactly.  Once the Rabbits, Mice, Deer and Turkey populations plummit, then so will coyote populations.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
No, that is not correct, when they run out of native food sources, they will just eat more kitties, chickens, and joggers.  Better watch out them 'yotes will get ya.

Truth is, they they are not likely to run out of mice, voles, and ground squirrels, so the fawns and the turkeys will continue to suffer.

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
It's just my opinion here but I feel strongly that we are natures trump card.  If we don't keep coyotes in check, all we will have is coyotes.

We could sit back and let "Nature take it's course"but.............

Coyotes can live on mice....Some coyotes learn that hey can kill bigger stuff that tasts better and makes more meals. They rase young coyotes on bigger better tasting treats.  These young coyotes continue the trend.

When the bigger stuff runs out the coyotes will eat mice.

We will still have coyotes...many more....

In the end we will end up hunting coyotes because....If we don't keep coyotes in check by hunting and trapping them, all we will have is coyotes to hunt.....Just my opinion.
LPM

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
When they run out of tasty things to eat at least they have each other.

I guess we're just screwed    :readit:       :laughing:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
There are not many rabbits left around here since the coyotes showed up.
michael schingeck

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
The problem really resides with State Wildlife agencies that are "supposed" to be experts in habitat preservation and management. Here in NY all I've seen is a bunch of bumbling moves that do not serve the hunting community, the same group that buys the permits and licenses to support these efforts. There are two "managed" properties that I used to frequent, one property the road through the property can only safely be negotiated by only the largest 4x4, the other now has a stream going through the road, I don't feel like driving over the trout.
So we are are worst enemy, it's not the Coyote's fault.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©