3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 420gr carbon vs 650+gr lam. birch  (Read 416 times)

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
420gr carbon vs 650+gr lam. birch
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
Thought I would do a little penatration test of my own.
420gr carbon w/ a fresh 125 stinger 4 blade and a 650+gr wood w/ a wicked sharp 4 blade zwickey.
Both shot from the same bow at 30 yrds into a 1/2'' thick pressure treated fencing board.
I first shot the carbon.Penatrated up to the point of the ferrule.The wood arro blew completely thru the board.I did this 3 more times and the carbon never surpassed it's first outcome.The wood completely passed thru everytime.
I'm now a firm beleiver in arro weight when hunting w/ archery tackle.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 420gr carbon vs 650+gr lam. birch
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
I like heavy arrows too, but to be an accurate test you would have to shoot into a material that had the same density as flesh.Most deer aren't made of wood LOL.A carbon arrow will sometimes out penetrate a heavier wood arrow because it's smaller diameter creates less friction in flesh.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
On deer, etc. it probably won't matter with a well tuned set-up--who cares how far the arrow goes into the dirt after a pass-through?

Talk to the guys that have shot really big/tough critters though--I haven't heard of anyone that advocates light arrows, and heard a few horror stories about light arrows off compounds.

As a side note, lots of the big game hunters load up carbons for extra weight, taking advantage of the smaller diameter as well.

Chad

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
Good point Chad.If I wanted a super penetrating arrow I would get a too stiff 1/4 carbon,load the tip and add an 8 gpi tube.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
What I was  trying to do is mimic a solid rib or other shallow bone hit.I don't carry a shooting machine hunting w/ me and was wondering the difference in penatration w/ hand drawn bow.
Both arros are tuned pretty good.I never tried any side by side comparisons for light and heavy arros.I always liked the trajectory of the lighter arros but my eyes where really opened after the results.I'm not pushing woods over carbons,just weight.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
With Ron's leave, some successful light arrow tests hear:
 http://shrewbows.com/carbon_arrows.html

Steve

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Overbo,I didn't mean to sound so critical of your test.Like I said I like a heavy arrow too for hunting.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »
I'll say it again--talk to guys like Rick McGowan, Don Thomas, Billy Baker, Cory Mattson, Denny Sturgis Jr., Ed Ashby, etc. etc. etc.  You might also do some reading in the Dangerous Game forum and Dr. Ashby's reports.

Ric has seen what light arrows shot from super fast compounds will do on thick-skinned, heavy boned critters, and he's seen what very heavy and relatively slow arrows will do.  Guess which one he uses?

On most of the animals most of use will hunt, it's not going to be a big deal.  When your butt's on the line with a critter that can and will hunt you back, you don't fool around.  Look at the years and years of combined experience to get the facts on the big picture.

The reason this interests me so much is I've been planning a big game hunt for several years now.  I've talked with several big game hunters and guides, read over different test reports done both on different mediums--live animals, dead animals, animal parts, etc. etc. etc.

If you want to test your luck and your standing with the Good Lord, go ahead and chase a buffalo with a 500 grain arrow.  I'm just not the type to press my luck like that.  When I go, I plan on having arrows that weigh in at no less than 800 grains, preferably closer to 1,000.  Besides not being able to stomach screwing up after all the time and expense of a trip like that, I want to keep all my parts right were they are now!

Chad

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
I to have seen light arros do the job.I now have a change of reasoning w/ my recent findings.I've killed several whitetails w/ light weight carbons and agree w/ everything equal the carbon will penatrate better.I also feel that carbon or any other material isn't the magic thing to replace arro weight for penatration.I talking 100+gr difference.
I love to see my arros zip w/ less arch as much as anyone but I like even more to see it zip thru what I'm killing.Just IMO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©