3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tight Nocks  (Read 808 times)

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tight Nocks
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
I just reserve the string to fit the nocks... takes 5 minutes...
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
What works best is a cup of hot water from the microwave and a nail the same size as your serving. Dip the nock in the hot water and then put the nail into the nock and let it cool.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
Thanks South MS
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bkyrdshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
I use a drill bit in a hand drill that matches the size of my string or just a tad under to take a little bit off the insides of my nocks to fit the string where they just easily tap off the string. Takes no time at all to do a dozen.
"Energy and Persistence Conquer All Things"   Benjamin Franklin

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Terry-  It is nock tune as South M.S said, easy to use, more expensive than sandpaper but takes the margin of human error out of it for me.  It has different widths along its edge and just a couple of swipes can get you any type of fit you like.  And it just files the edge not the throat.
Brian
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
I have a question, I'm curious as to why you guys don't have the serving fitted to the nocks?? Why mess around with sanding boiling every nock??

Thanks!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by BowHuntingFool:
I have a question, I'm curious as to why you guys don't have the serving fitted to the nocks?? Why mess around with sanding boiling every nock??

Thanks!
* Seems like every nock you buy is made for very skinny strings
* Some of us like fat strings
* Not all of us build our own strings
* Some of us may shoot two or three or ten different sorts of arrow / nocks and it would be impractical to have a custom string for each.
* It takes moments to boil and stretch a nock.

I'm sure there are other good reasons.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brently:
I shoot three under and use a loose nock.  When you slide your three fingers up under the arrow it will push it up against the nock and hold it in place.  That is just the way I do it and it works for me.
^^This^^. I kept catching myself pinching the nock when I shot loose nocks split fingered.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
Most of the times I find that you can also either increase or decrease sting diameter by changing serving diameter the I do not have to mess with the nocks.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
Plastic nocks for wood arrows respond well to the boiling water treatment. The nocks on carbons don't, which means the sandpaper option.  Since I mainly shoot GTs or CE's I prefer to build and serve my strings to fit the nocks because I use the same arrows in several different bows. I like them all interchangeable, and if I pop a nock off, I just pick another from my spare package and slip it in.

I have found that I do much better with a snug enough fit so that I don't have to worry about the arrow falling off and subconsiously grip the nock, causing pressure and erratic flight.  Viper pointed out that nocks that are too tight don't normally cause problems unless there are other tuning issues and I have generally found that to be true.  The problem with sanding out the nocks is that there is no way to tighten them up after the string wears in a little - better to have them too snug than too loose.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by BowHuntingFool:
Call me the odd man out here but If my nocks were to tight on my string I would reserve the string so they fit proper! If you dunk em in boiling water or sand em down they wont be consistent, been there done that! Much easier to "fix" the string than every nock you have on your arrows!
I have to agree with Joe. I'd much rather make the string correctly in the first place than sand down nocks or dunk them in boiling water because the string is the wrong diameter.

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
If it is a matter of to tight on one string and fine on the others I would re-serve the string. Do you use the same number of strand strings? If not, you may find (if you sand or boil) you are to loose on the other string. Whatever you do, I would shoot one string in with several hundred arrows then save it as your spare, then duplicate a second string as your primary string. That way your nocks will be consistent if you have to replace the string while hunting. Just some thoughts.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
I don't think it matters how you do it really....just what you are use to.  I'm not a string maker...or reserver...I order strings straight from the bowyer.....or contract them out to be made the same by sending the string to a string maker....I always have a spare with me.  I sand mine, and that's just the way I do it...if you want to reserve that's just another option....not an argument.

Again, I don't care how you do it...doesn't really matter, just that your nocks are not too tight.  And I do believe that nocks that are too tight CAN effect arrow flight.  Maybe not in your back yard, but in real hunting situations where you may be contorted a bit it can.  

This has been common knowledge for decades.

Nocks that are too tight will make your bow louder.  Least they always are quieter for me after I get them like I want them.  And, nocks too tight will rob a bit of performance.  The last thing you need is an arrow hanging on for dear life after the bow returns to brace. There is NO advantage to that.   :readit:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Agree with Terry!!! What's important is that your nocks aren't too tight not how it's accomplished.

And for what it's worth, the snap on type nocks didn't come along until the mid sixties. Before that it was open throated nocks like the Speed Nock (Mercury type) and the Mid Nock.

My early chrono testing showed a marked speed difference between a "regular fit" snap nock and an open throat "speed nock".... my point being that the tighter the nock the more it's going to affect your arrows performance both speed wise and how it interacts with the bow.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
Been using the boiling water technique for both closing and opening nocks for quite some time.

Like it.

Not only do I submerge the nock ears for 20 seconds, I close down or open nock by utilizing a gage pin or drill bit and hold for 20 seconds.

This option works well for me since I sometimes end up having to change throat openings between my bows and my sons.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline CAT22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, all. I ended up sanding the nicks until they all seemed good. I also used an old trick I had used with my wheel bow when I'd get a new string and loop. I rubbed Vaseline into the fibers of the serving. I know, and many mentioned, that the serving would break in some. So I left the nocks just short of perfect and lubed it up. For those that said performance and accuracy would be compromised, I cannot believe the difference. I have no chrono, but I didn't need one to tell. I gained speed for sure. Accuracy was much better as well. Funny as this may sound, but for all the reading, work on form, follow thru and just plain shooting, correcting my nocks has made the biggest difference. I feel like I've been cheating myself for a while now. Important lesson learned. Thanks, all.
CAT22

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Good to hear...looks like this topic stirred some interests as well.  Lots of other's checking nocks now.

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Terry, after you showed me about sanding knocks at Solana 2010 I noticed a big difference in my shooting. That is one of the things I hadn't seen in any videos or articles and I think its real important.

I suggest those of you who might question the idea, sand a few down and shoot them head to head with tight nocks and see if you notice a difference.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Carl....every year at Solana someone has seen me fine tuning a nock with sand paper while waiting to hunt out at the pavilion....and they ask the same thing you did....what are you doing?

You are correct...no one talks about nocks being too tight and the problems they can cause in the 'media'.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©