3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are Javelina's edible?  (Read 800 times)

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are Javelina's edible?
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Redant 60/65 you ought to know that anything different that you are trying to describe taste's like chicken. I just wish I could go hunt some of those critters.

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
I got done eating and fired up the computer and had to laugh when I saw this thread because for supper I had just had some javi.  I sausage most of mine (breakfast, italian, chorizo) but I usually smoke at least one hind quarter.  It is good, not incredible but for sure good....Shawn

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Made sausage out of mine turned out great.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
As others have mentioned, it's pretty decent - slow cooked, shredded, and thrown in tortillas, hard to tell what it is. Makes good sausage too. A 45lb feral hog it is not, but it's perfectly edible, even moreso if you eat it well after you've forgotten the smell of the live critter.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
I thought it was awesome!  I made mine into chorizo with seasonings I found online.  My wife went to her mothers and the boys and I ground and mixed it.

Mine was a huge sow that weighed 35lbs skinned and gutted.  I wish I would have kept the pelt to have tanned and later when money is more available made into a rug.

I'll be back in Arizona next January chasing them again...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 02:54:00 AM »
you bet, make sure you skin them nicely and avoid the skin fur etc touching the meat, cool it down, Smoke it, marinade it, stew it, i even Canned some with Jalapenos and onion and it was good, you can get a tuff old smelly one now and again, just add more BBQ     :cool:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 03:00:00 AM »
everything is edible if you 1. add enough other stuff. 2. cook it long enough. lol About ten years ago we cooked a nutria on a bet, that thing is truely a he-man version of a rat.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
You bet.  Butter Milk, foil and grill.

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Tried it twice, I just prefer feral hogs. So I doubt I will hunt Javies anymore.

Offline whitetail_downer100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Crock pots can fix anything but havies are quite fine cooked in a number of fashions
-Captain Logan A. Giger-
USMC
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... but sometimes thats ok"

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Gentlemen, the javelina is neither rhodent or pig, they are a "collard peccary" and species of thier own.
They are a sub order of the hog family.
Far as eating them, I passed when I had the chance, can't say that I regreted it.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Aram- never been that hungry.

Not as good as the hogs you killed down here- I assure you! Course I never have heard if you ate em or not?  :confused:

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
I tried it once, should have done like Pepper did, and pass. Maybe it wasn't cooked right, I don't know, but that was the worst meat I ever ate, and I've ate about every wild critter in North America at one time or another.
 I'm sure some people can cook it up so it tastes good, but who ever cooked this one sure couldn't.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline USAFdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
I kill a Javalina every year here in AZ and eat them all. Like many before me said crock pot and BBQ sauce, or green chili burros, etc. If I don't want it I know plenty that will take the meat off my hands. Thing for me is they are just plain fun to hunt. Had a dozen of them within 10 yards of me this year, just stood there watching them for an hour before shooting one. Great time and fun hunt for kids as well.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
Smeared with peanut butter and barbeque sauce and pit-cooked, javie is delicious!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
Marty, we had some of that hog in elk camp last year. Laurel did her magic with it. She was in an especially good mood as she was still basking in the glow of her successful elk hunt with the broadheads you gave her.

Aram, sounds like you are fixin to do a bit javi huntin. You are going to need a pile of them things to feed that growing family of yours.;^)
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
My dad once told me that anything that was not really good tasting you start adding other ingrediants to get it so you could say it is good. Works for me.

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
for the ticks and fleas we give them a "bath" just soak them up wit soap and water and let them cool for a while, skin them with one knife, quarte with another, marinade and there you go, its not the best meat around but still you can get great sausages, chorizo, tamales, stews, etc.

I think they were made for bowhunting  :archer:
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
I have been shooting them for about 8-10 yrs now.  We bone out all the meat and grind.  Then mix it with the same amount of ground pork.  

Next I buy sausage seasonings and mix.  We have probably made 10-12 different kinds of sausage.  We like the Southern Style Breakfast and German sausage the best.  We don't put it in casing, just 1 lb. packages and make patties out of it for breakfast.  Try making some biscuts and gravy out of it - Wow it is really good.  Have also made a LOT of breakfast burritos and we have them on the next hunt every morning.
We quit gutting them - just skin them clean good and bone the meat out.
As for fleas - yea we encounter them every year.  You can wash them or spray something on them before skinning.

Offline Mack_S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
We made sausage (italian) out of the Javelinas we got this year.  Kept the tenderloins out just to see how it was plain.  I think it's good either way.  We cleaned and skinned ours just after harvesting them to get them cooled down and had them on ice within an hour or two.  I'm sure that made a huge difference in the taste.

So far I've cooked it a variety of ways:
   Fondued the tenderloins (in a broth not oil).
   Grilled the sausage on the BBQ.
   Slpit it out of the casing and fried it up for breakfast.
   Split it out of the casing, fried it up, and added it to rissoto.
   Split it out of the casing, fried it up, and topped home made pizza with it.

-Mack
-Mack

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©