3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are Javelina's edible?  (Read 802 times)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are Javelina's edible?
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
I've always wondered, when people call them rodents or say they are related to rats, more than pigs, why then, do they have hooves, and non-rodent-like teeth?

I've never hunted them, but when I lived in new mexico, a guy gave some meat from one he arrowed.  It tasted alright, of course it was free and that probably made it taste better.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
"Javi" hit the nail on the head.  The young/small ones are much better.  As they get older/bigger (especially the boars) you have to be a little more "creative" in how you prepare them.  I know an old crusty South Texas taxidermist near Kingsville who prefers eating a young javelina to anything else you can kill down there.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Only ever had them as sausage and it was fine.

Offline Aram Barsch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Marty and Greg, looks like I will soon be managing the hunting on a 382,000 acre ranch in west Texas. Good mule deer, Turkey, some whitetail, some Aoudad, a herd of wild elk, and lots of Javalina. So yep, I'm trying to figure out how to eat them. And yes we ate the Florida hogs - they were great.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
Sure but then you could eat a bowling ball if you were really hungry.

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
We made kabobs with them after we shot some. We had pineapple, hot peppers, cherry tomatoes, and Javie's. We also soaked it for a while in pineapple juice for a few hours. A couple pieces tasted like it smelled but most were alright. It is a white meat.

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
PS,
never cut the meat with the same knife you skin the critter with!

Offline Aram Barsch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Here guys this should settle the question about what a Javalina actualy is.

Is it a "Pig" or Not?

Most people think of Javelina as "pigs", just a desert variety of the common barnyard animal we all know so well.  The fact is Javelina do share common ancestry to old world pigs and even similarities in appearance.  However, Javelina have many significant differences.  They have a different number of teeth, a different gestation period, a complex (versus simple) stomach, and a musk gland on their backs--the fact is, they are not "pigs".

Both Javelina (collared peccaries ~ tayassu tajacu), and pigs are members of the order artiodactyla, suborder suiformes, sharing a common ancestry dating back some 30 million years.  But, because of significant anatomical and genetic differences they, have been placed in separate families - pigs in the Suidae family and Javelina in the tayassuidae.

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
They claim if you soak them in milk for 24 hours all their wild taste is eliminated.

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
I've never hunted it or tasted it. In fact, this is the first discussion concerning it's edibility that I've ever seen. I wouldn't pass on trying it, but all this talk about the meat smelling isn't very appetizing either.
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Wow Aram that is more like a county than a ranch, at least where I come from. I might just have come down and see if I can out walk you around that place. Keep me posted on hunting options.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
So far it seems that the consensus is that bowling balls smell better than javelinas, but are a bit tougher and roll off the skillet.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
Easy to hunt. Hard to eat.

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
We just got back from texas last week hunting the little devils. Yes in texas they have alot and I mean alot of fleas and ticks. But we make cherizo sausage out of most of the meat. Then take the back straps and butterfly them and make small medalion steaks. Wrap the steaks with a strip of bacon and season as you might a steak.They are not the best tasting cut of meat but Ive eaten a lot of things worse.Or just grind all of the meat, mix with pork fat and they make good cherizo though.

Offline kongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
Are they edible ? Yes . Do you want to eat them ? NO !! Grill your shoes and eat them instead .

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Aram:

Sent you a PM.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
Javi salad is YUMMMMMY.  Grilled is great, also in a crock pot with vegies. I love em. Try a little cajun injector garlic butter. Now that is fine.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©